• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

So if anyone is wondering when I will stop asking so many darn questions my answer is.....

Don't hold your breath :P

Now I have learned that the newer trucks have a pretty decent turning radius no matter what their length but I have been seeing restrictions on truck lengths on certain trails and some Ferries.

Has anyone found this to be a problem in their travels?

Do you ignore length restricted trail warnings and go all ahead full or do you turn around and find another way?

Have you been turned away at any ferry or do they just add a hefty surcharge for your large steed?

I would think driving in small towns and parking might be a bit tougher but there is only a couple feet difference between the 6 1/2 vs 8ft or crew cab vs crew max so I am thinking that may not be so much to negotiate.

I will likely get a crew cab and not the crew max but can't decide if the 8 foot bed is a good move. It gives me more living space but does it make the rest of my travels harder?

Thanks for all your help you truck camping gurus :D

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Jackie I've had surcharges for both over height and over length with an 11 foot hard side camper on an extended cab full size F250. The break point is often at 22'. For maneuvering, shorter is obviously better, but a full size extended cab can go a lot of places. For one person an extended cab, short bed truck would be ideal... An 8 foot bed, still very capable.

It's going to be a judgement call on your part, depending on how tight of places you're willing to go.

I am haunted by waters

#3 pikabike

pikabike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

Ignoring length restrictions on trails is asking for trouble and possibly damage to the vehicle and the surroundings.

One of those is yours to damage if you so choose.

The ferry limitations definitely can result in surcharges for both length and height, as the above poster noted. We have had to pay the surcharge just for having sea kayaks on the roof.

Edited by pikabike, 29 March 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#4 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

Length restrictions vs length recommendations, and general "long wheelbase" considerations.

If a truck has EVER been manufactured with a worse turning radius than my beloved '02 F350 SRW Crew Cab longbed 4WD, woe be upon its owner. It's very difficult to park in any crowded urban/suburban spaces, parallel parking is fine so long as there are two spaces open--three being preferred, and the typical larger parking lot MO is to proceed to the far end of the lot, find a pull through pair of spaces, pull through in order to drive straight out, and just leave the butt end encroaching on the space behind you.  IIRC, the tape measure has her at 20 or 21' bumper to bumper,w/out mods on either end.  

As to trails, I routinely ignore long wheelbase and "no trailers" recommendations.  Don't recall ever seeing a restriction.  If I were to see a Forest Service or BLM restriction against such, I'd obey it. But as to recommendations, I feel as though I'm as solid on the wheel as anybody so I go for it.  Had a great chat with some ATV riders atop Comet Mountain, MT a few years back, when the conversation started with "How the #*&!! did you get that pig up here?".  I also met some wide-eyed smaller truck operators at the main switchback atop "The Hogback" at the 30 milepost on Rock Creek Rd.  I needed every inch of width to get around the switchback with my 19' trailer, so sent the wife ahead to stop any oncoming traffic around the blind curve. Backing mine down the way I came was a greatly unfavored option.

It's all about the trade-offs, isn't it?  I knew I could not have a tight trail rig and have a truck which could seat 5 and tow + 10,000 lbs.  The former was optional, the latter a requirement, so long and heavy is how I roll.

Foy

#5 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

According to my GM dealer friend by far the most popular and best resale combo is the crew cab standard bed (6 1/2'). As far as everyday use a crew cab long box wouldn't even fit on my driveway let alone my garage. I knew I had to have a crew and I'm happy I went with the standard bed and a Hawk....it even fits in the garage after "some" modifications.

The only time I really notice length is on switchback shelf roads:

BQ0QVub.jpg

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

I find it an interesting gentrification comment that a 6' bed is now a "std. bed" when originally 8' beds were known as "standard beds" and 6' beds were the much less common "short bed" that was only available in 1/2t configuration.

I had to park our 3" lifted '91 Suburban in the much less secure "Oversized Parking" while over-nighting in down town Las Vegas one trip. It clearly wasn't going to fit under the beams of their parking structure (& I completely fail to understand why our traveling companions insisted on staying there).

I frequently notice the turning radius of our ClubCab standard (8') bed CTD, but it is merely a minor inconvenience and not a major hindrance.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

I find it an interesting gentrification comment that a 6' bed is now a "std. bed" when originally 8' beds were known as "standard beds" and 6' beds were the much less common "short bed" that was only available in 1/2t configuration.

I guess our age is showing. But that was my instant thought as well.

HJ unless you really plan to haul passengers regularly I'd skip the crew cab. Go for an extended cab 8' long bed.

You are looking to carry a bit of gear. You have also stated this camper will be a live in as opposed to a weekender. I think you would be better served by having the longer camper and storage in the camper as opposed to the back seat. An extended cab has a good bit of storage. Just not quite as nice as a crew cab for rear seating. Though most extended cabs work fine for short trips in the back seat. My last extended cab the seats folded up and out of the way well. Not so much with the seats in the current crew cab. They take up a lot of space no matter how the are folded. Less stuff stored in the cab is less stuff in sight for thieves and less stuff to fly about in the event of an oops situation.

A bigger camper would also provide more space when "stealth" campering.

Edited by Squatch, 30 March 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#8 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Squatch,

Ford has a crew cab and a crew max which is essentially extended and crew with newer names.

I am looking at the smaller of the extended cab no matter which truck I buy just for the reason you stated. I don't need all that extra room in the truck and would like to have it in the camper.

Still not sure I want an 8 footer. Gotta just drive things and figure it out. I can put a 7 foot camper in a 6 3/4 bed....lol not 6 1/2 anymore, and I would only lose a foot over an 8 foot camper. Not driving a 10 foot camper on an 8 foot bed, don't think the COG can really be very good in that situation.....

I don't know that I will find too many places where the longer truck will be an issue but there some out there and driving around small towns could get interesting fast with a monster truck...lol

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Happyjax,  We have a 2013 F-250 longbed (8') crewcab and a 2014 FWC Grandby.  I'm approximately 22' in length and just under 25' with the RackAttack and cargo carrier on.  I wondered out load to my wife if we would have been better off with the 6-1/2' bed and a Hawk.  Here quick response was "I wouldn't have wanted a smaller camper".  That was the end of the discussion.  I remember the Rock Creek switch back that Foy mentioned very well, and I must say it was rather nerve racking.  I didn't have my wife get out but when you can't see over the hood and you are having her keep a watch on how close you are getting to the cliff side, and you are praying that your driver side wheels doesn't get to close to the edge.  The other shelf roads we traveled were a walk in the park. 

Been on one ferry across Lake Champlain from New York to Vermont and didn't get hit with any extra fee.  I could have lived with the Hawk, but I do like the extra room.  We usually keep the bed pulled out, so with the Grandby front dinette, we can still sit comfortably.

You will need to figure out what type of camping and trail driving you might like to do.  Get the truck and the camper and go have fun.  My suggestion is to not sweat the small stuff and don't overthink yourself.  Good luck.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

Hey Overthinking is one of my assets! Also great at making mountains out of anthills. I don't need no stinking mole to do it :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users