22 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

When you fill the 20 gallon water tank, will the filling also fill the hot water tank?  Or once the water tank is filled, the FWC instructions say turn on one or both sink faucets and then turn on the water pump until the flow of water is smooth.  Is this step what fills the hot water tank or does it fill when you fill the 20 gal. tank?  This is a little confusing. 

I may have been doing this wrong for the past 3 years and may now have paid the price of turning on the hot water switch with an empty or near empty hot water tank.

Hopefully Stan or someone else at FWC can clarify this.

As of now I have to replace the deformed hot water tank with a new tank.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

My hot water tank doesn't fill unless I turn on the pump. I don't always open a faucet, though, but I can verify that if I don't turn on the pump the tank stays empty.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

Remember that the hot water heater works whether using the fresh water tank and pump or using city water. A quicker way to fill the hot water tank than using the pump is to attach the hose to the city water attachment.

Turn on the city water and open the hot water faucet. When water flows freely without sputtering, the hot water tank is full. City water will fill the hot water tank much faster than the campers pump. You can fill the fresh water tank before or after filling the hot water tank. Takes only a couple of minutes. Be sure to use a pressure regulator on the city water supply.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:20 AM

If thats the case could you just open the hot water drain to the main tank once the hot water heater is full then fill up the main tank?

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

If thats the case could you just open the hot water drain to the main tank once the hot water heater is full then fill up the main tank?

Not sure why one would want to do that. Just unscrew the hose from the city water inlet and move two inches to the left to fill as designed.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'm not sure this is the best graphic for this but I found it useful.   I say 'not the best' because it's not specific to the FWC system.  It's from a Flojet water pump manual (this one).

(click to enlarge)

flojetWaterSystemDiagram.jpg

In any case it shows the two sources of pressurized water --- (1) 'city water' which is already under pressure from the home or campsite's water system or (2) water pumped out of the freshwater tank by the onboard electric water pump.  Either can be used to fill the water-heater tank.  The city water one will fill faster and is probably smarter (as it doesn't wear the onboard pump).  In either case, it's important to remember to open the hot-water faucet so the air in the hot-water tank can be pushed out by the incoming water trying to fill that tank.

(If anyone knows of a graphic more specific to FWC campers, please post or let me know)

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#7 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

Old Crow, assome.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#8 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

Not sure why one would want to do that. Just unscrew the hose from the city water inlet and move two inches to the left to fill as designed.

Paul

It would be easier to just turn the knob while working in the camper.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:58 AM

Idea to remember:  Some "city" water supplies have more pressure than the FWC system can handle.  There are simple and inexpensive attachments you place on the city faucet and attach the fill hose to, which reduces pressure [can't remember the psi] and protects against pressure surges from city supply line.

Phil

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

Idea to remember:  Some "city" water supplies have more pressure than the FWC system can handle.  There are simple and inexpensive attachments you place on the city faucet and attach the fill hose to, which reduces pressure [can't remember the psi] and protects against pressure surges from city supply line.

Phil

This post reminded me there's a photo of a water regulator in the 2017 FWC camper manual (on page 47).  A bit of searching found it's a Valterra model-- this one.  Then I ran onto this article which does some real-world testing.  Looks like the brass version will get you 47 psi/9.1 gpm and the stainless model will get you 52 psi/10.4 gpm.  The chart at the bottom of the article summarizes but the article is worth a read.  Looks like the value leader is the Camco one (of the models tested).

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users