26 replies to this topic

#21 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:39 AM

We've been using the single cup drip filters for most of twenty years and the coffee comes out great as long as you remember to restock the filters before leaving home. We ran out of filters on a short trip this summer and had to recycle a few, not the best coffee I'd ever had. We also bought a 12v from FWC when we bought the camper thinking it would be a great luxury item, slow as snail and a power pig, off to the thrift store it went.

I am a fan of the Milita number 2 cone and paper drip filter for their ease of use. I see both the plastic cone and filters at many grocery stores.

When I have found myself without a filter..
1) I fold a paper towel in half one direction, then in half again in the perpendicular direction, then open it into a funnel so that there is 1 ply on one side and 3 plies on the other side.

2) Place the funnel into the plastic cone and tear off all parts of the paper towel that extend above the cone (tearing the paper towel off isn't necessary, but if you don't it will act like a siphon and leave a coffee mess after you pour the water).

3) Add coffee grounds into the funnel and pour hot water and let it filter through the paper towel into the cup as I would with a manufactured filter.

#22 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

And Tequila!!!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#23 HikerCook

HikerCook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEl Dorado, CA

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

Zassenhaus manual coffee mill and #6 Melita filter holder that fits the neck of a Stanley or Nissan stainless thermos. Both available at Sweet Maria's Coffee http://www.sweetmarias.com

Death Before Decaf

Mike
"Moonlight Mile" '07 Nissan Frontier, '07 ATC Bobcat

#24 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

Ed,

We've used the paper towel method in the past and found a recycled filter a much better solution, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#25 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:08 PM

We use the Farberware Yosemite, retrofitted with a better glass cap purchased from the local hardware store.

Posted Image

We use a larger, older pot on the stove at home, preferring to wait the ten minutes it takes to make coffee the old-fashioned way. We hear from friends that a French press gives the same coffee flavor we like in smaller batches.

#26 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:04 PM

Received the bialetti moka express 6 yesterday, tried it out this morning. Works like advertised. Is more like espresso than coffee but I don't mind that. Fast. Lightweight. Its pretty small too. Says its six cups but its really more like a cup and half. Should do great in the camper.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#27 terrisjoy

terrisjoy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

As I get ready to head out this morning, I remember I don't have a coffee pot. I really need my morning coffee. I don't like percolators. I wasn't happy with my coleman drip coffee maker. I don't want anything with glass for obvious reasons. Lightweight would be an advantage.

REI and other outtfitters for backcountry trips have a great stainless steel thermos french press for coffee making. I don't know if your familiar with making coffee with a french press. It's quite easy, pour boiling water over your ground coffee (usually 1 tablespoon or a little more to 1 cup of coffee. The thermos is a great idea because it keeps my coffee warm for hours! If the thermos idea doesn't excite you they have a regular press made just for camping using plexaglass instead of glass. Enjoy!!!! Terri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users