#1 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:20 AM

Greetings, I think I'm the third owner on this 1996 Granby. One of the other owners had the Canvas Replaced. At some point the Original Front Panel was replaced probably Shop Built out of 1/4" Pegboard. Poor Choice of substrates. The Torque of the spring loaded piano hinges and humidity weakened the pegboard and it failed in the center hinge area. Luckily it didn't damage the Canvas.

I ordered Factory replacement parts and Factory Fellow " Chacali " talked me through how his two fellows replace this part in 2 to 3 hours.

I Blocked up the Roof with a couple of oak spindles to it's correct height. Verified the roof was level with the Camper bed.

I built a Jig and prestressed the upper and lower Spring loaded hinges via Straps and the Jig.

I was able to center and installed the part by myself in under 1 hour. I need a second person to assist in attaching the Elastic to the Canvas.

I've attached a few images.
Good project but Great folks to do business with.

Attached Thumbnails

• _Media Card_BlackBerry_pictures_granby Bill Davis Front panels interior 2008.jpg
  • finished left panel.jpg
  • finished right panel.jpg
  • panel jig w top w bottom flat bars.jpg
  • jig close up.jpg

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

#2 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:02 AM

Nice work my brother:thumb:
And welcome aboard.
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#3 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

S-G
Nice work!
It looks like the factory did it.That's what I need to do to my 86 fleet .Right now I use a peice of 4" thick foam board and it seems to work.

#4 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

Good Job, it does look like the factory did it, nice and clean. It's hard to believe that someone would use peg board for that application, definitely a failure waiting to happen.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#5 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Fellows. It was a good project and I was pleased also.

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users