33 replies to this topic

#21 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:41 AM

Hi Azcamper
I see what you are speaking of. However I only see them on drivers side next to the rear door. On our camper they are for the plastic fuel or water container mount. Might be rockcog has exterior foot steps mounted on the outside of the rear wall.
Russ

https://rotopax.com

Edited by CougarCouple, 06 May 2017 - 01:44 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#22 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:51 AM

Hi Azcamper
I see what you are speaking of. However I only see them on drivers side next to the rear door. On our camper they are for the plastic fuel or water container mount. Might be rockcog has exterior foot steps mounted on the outside of the rear wall.
Russ
https://rotopax.com

Ah ha, you got it Russ ,it is the acorn nuts on top of the bolts that hold the outside rear wall steps. Funny, I'm still a bit hesitant to ramble up them, but the long term uses outway my concerns, I climbed one side today, if you plan up AND down, not so bad. When I did get to the top step, all I saw was a clean solar panel. For future use, it is a very solid mounting point for who knows what,just pull the step and add your whatever. Or just to hang or tie something up. I chose the steps when I deleted the roto pak mount..

They are on both sides , upper/ lower just not visible from inside.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#23 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

Hay RC
Was wondering about that, I also wanted to be able to monitor voltage. Not ready to add the trimetric controls either. This is what I'm using and although cheap V measures almost the same as my fieldpiece meter. I have noticed the factory system limits solar charge, but will allow vehicle charge. I have 120 volt inverter that can charge and it seems to charge more than the onboard systems . Any way enjoy the camper you have so much time to personalize it.
Russ
Forgot this
https://www.amazon.c...ECKL&ref=plSrch

I agree with your assessment, it seemed to me the solar wasn't as effective as I might believe it should be, I'll pick up a more refined controller in the near future. I'm going to be in coastal fog and the efficiency of the charge controller may be put to a test. The Iota inverter is great to have, just plug in and charge up it seems. Some things to figure out. I'll be on our north coast the next few days, so we shall see.
I am considering one of these as a easy meter option.

https://powerwerx.com/digital-meters

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#24 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Morning Rockcod
I definitely like the flush mount better and that is the same displays I started looking at. Knowing I will eventually go with a more versatile charge controller wasn't going to punch a hole only later to be abandoned. Haven't found a need for climbing up to the roof yet. One side is framed for A/C, so with one wall left we went for the Rotopax mount. Our camper is so tall I have to carry a 2 foot ladder to open the upper windows. How about yours how are you reaching them?
Russ

#25 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:37 AM

[quote name="CougarCouple" post="170867" timestamp="1494079239"]Morning Rockcod
I definitely like the flush mount better and that is the same displays I started looking at. Knowing I will eventually go with a more versatile charge controller wasn't going to punch a hole only later to be abandoned. Haven't found a need for climbing up to the roof yet. One side is framed for A/C, so with one wall left we went for the Rotopax mount. Our camper is so tall I have to carry a 2 foot ladder to open the upper windows. How about yours how are you reaching them?
Russ[/quote

Hi Russ
I'm looking into a collapsing ladder, 10 ft or so. I assume you mean the exterior storm flaps that are removable ? I took mine off and just carry them, could not reach them if without a small ladder. Gambling on no big storms for the time being as it's May. I had sort of forgotten about them actually.. :). I like the idea of the collapsing ladders so much, I'm trying to find other uses, like solar panel cleaning, inspection. Installing the storm flaps is another reason.....

Rock.....

#26 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:34 AM

Howdy Rock
Yep those are the ones, don't see why you couldn't put on and off with one. I'm stretched out on a two foot ladder to fiddle with mine.
Russ

I looking on how wife can get up in the bed easier, bunk ladder might service both needs. I'll have to check out the collapsible ladder.

Edited by CougarCouple, 09 May 2017 - 02:36 AM.

#27 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,602 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:51 AM

Rock, in a conversation with Marty, he recommended leaving the storm flaps on when the top is down. Another layer to prevent driven water from working through the Velcro and into the camper.

I am haunted by waters

#28 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

Rock, in a conversation with Marty, he recommended leaving the storm flaps on when the top is down. Another layer to prevent driven water from working through the Velcro and into the camper.

Thanks WS,
Marty and I sat down for quite some time and went over most everything, I knew I wouldn't remember it all. Living in the drought for the last several years AND knowing the rain stops for months on end has me going soft. I don't mind the drill, but good to know ahead that storm flaps help seal up the soft parts while traveling.

Note for Russ:
https://www.lowes.co...iaZNRoCMvPw_wcB

This is an example, these things are sold by more companies than you can believe. I have no idea of the quality or reliability but I did look at this brand at OSH recently. I spent the last 3 decades living with, on and around ladders, countless hours of safety training , etc. etc. so it will no doubt cost me more to own one. I know ladders can be dangerous and are mis-used regularly. So looking for a reliable brand. As "they" say , I have no fear of falling, it's the landing that hurts. :). There is a great thread here somewhere, and it's a bit entertaining . Maybe search for collapsible ladders. Lemme know if you find light weight ,safety rated , ANSI approved and cheap. Seems to me the real deal is heavy, and costly and you still would have a rough landing. ;).

Rock

Rock.....

#29 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:28 AM

Evening Rock
I have left my outer's on mostly because of ability to reach, and when we have used our pop up weather dictated to leave them on.
I did open up opposing window on either side out at saline valley, nice cross breez. Thanks Mr Sage for the valuable bit of info, I can understand Rock 100%, I'm sure I was told the same, but for the life of me don't remember.
I'm not sure that I will find a ladder in your parameters, widow down the street gave my wife a ladder but have not needed to do any painting recently. I will keep looking for you.
Russ

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2096.PNG

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,602 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

Evening Rock
I have left my outer's on mostly because of ability to reach, and when we have used our pop up weather dictated to leave them on.
I did open up opposing window on either side out at saline valley, nice cross breez. Thanks Mr Sage for the valuable bit of info, I can understand Rock 100%, I'm sure I was told the same, but for the life of me don't remember.
I'm not sure that I will find a ladder in your parameters, widow down the street gave my wife a ladder but have not needed to do any painting recently. I will keep looking for you.
Russ

OMG, where is OSHA??? Standing on the handle? Please leave me the camper in your will...

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users