12 replies to this topic

#11 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

Jack,

Fortunately we always have a one burner compact camp stove with us for cooking out and for just that situation.

Amen to MSR. From our tent camping days, we carry our MSR for cooking smelly food outside, but this time getting us hot coffee was a god send.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#12 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

Amen to MSR. From our tent camping days, we carry our MSR for cooking smelly food outside, but this time getting us hot coffee was a god send.

I have an MSR white gas stove, which is the lightest weight, fastest lighting stove I have ever owned. It stays in the back packing rig these days (i.e. it hasn't been used in about 3 years ... I must remedy that soon).

Anyway, I found a British made stove/BBQ/grill (depending on which surface is sitting on the burner) made by Cadek called the "Safari Chef" which runs on bottled propane. Not only is is a good backup to the camper's stove, it's a great way to Bar-B-Que, and once it's set up outside, is my primary means of cooking.

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:56 AM

When i was doing serious backpacking I used a svea for many years. Lightweight and boiled water fast, it was a sob to light and forget about cooking anything on low. Then i went to a coleman (forget the model) that was easy to light but was twice as heavy. Had I not stopped backpacking (for the most part) I might have done an msr, but those were pretty pricey back then. I still love the sound the svea made, sounds like a freight train.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users