• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

#61 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

This is starting to effect my health ... just makes me sad to the bone. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#62 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:34 PM

I love Utah for its' photographic and overlanding opportunities and have spent a decent amount of time and money there for years, but now I'm looking for things to do in other states and if I do decide to visit Utah I will make sure I am fully stocked with supplies before I go so I spend as little $$ as possible in the state. If the 'locals' want the land for themselves I don't want to subsidize their efforts.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#63 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

This is starting to effect my health ... just makes me sad to the bone. 

Don't let it get to your "health",you need to be strong to fight the "evil empire"

May the force be with you.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#64 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:59 PM

To some degree this has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with Utah.    I am sure Trump had no idea where Bears Ears or GSENM were, and likely still has no idea where they are.   He is just appeasing the delegation from UT that supported him.  

I too have spent months of time in SE Utah exploring the many wonderful areas, but made a promise that I would not be spending anymore money in UT after this debacle.   Between the Outdoor Retailer show moving to CO and many of the smaller individual protests, lets hope UT feels some pain for this. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#65 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:15 AM

Charlie right on. I am an old hippie tho I don’t look like one anymore. I had plans to spend a lot of time in Utah but no more. I am of the same mind as you. If they think mining will give the average Joe anything in return then shame on them. Money will go to the likes of our Treasurer and his spouse who works so hard for those who have less. It is pitiful. Bottom line is we can’t ever bring it back once it is altered. Shallow minds deep pockets.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#66 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:35 AM

I went through the "Boycott Utah" stage when some of this first came about but I have friends there who rely on tourist revenues and after talking to them I figured out an alternative that works for me : I contribute more to SUWA, Friends of Cedar Breaks, GSENM Partners and other groups than I do to the state of Utah in the way of sales and fuel taxes.  I know it isn't perfect but it helps me to feel better when I have to stop through someplace in Bluff, Kanab, Moab and such (as for Blanding, I won't spend money there regardless).

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#67 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:03 AM

There's not nice way to say this:

It's a GOP land grab that is taking away public land and turning it into private land sold for pennies on the dollar.

I know WTW doesn't like politics, but when ONE PARTY continues to attack our public lands, it would be foolish to ignore it.

Yes. And the projection/hypocrisy/psychotic rhetoric that insists parks/monuments/wilderness are "locking out" citizens (not to mention one not to be named news corporation proclaiming that oil and gas production would do less harm than tourism) begs the question: will the citizens who own the land be allowed to do so much as walk a dog on it when it is covered with oil and gas wells? 

#68 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:13 AM

I agree with you on donating to SUWA, NRDC and NPCA, all of which I am a member off.    My logic with the boycott is that since I don't vote in UT,  UT politicians don't really care what I think.  But if I can get a few more utwegians to speak up about how their policies are hurting their bottom lines, maybe, just maybe they will listen.   

I went through the "Boycott Utah" stage when some of this first came about but I have friends there who rely on tourist revenues and after talking to them I figured out an alternative that works for me : I contribute more to SUWA, Friends of Cedar Breaks, GSENM Partners and other groups than I do to the state of Utah in the way of sales and fuel taxes.  I know it isn't perfect but it helps me to feel better when I have to stop through someplace in Bluff, Kanab, Moab and such (as for Blanding, I won't spend money there regardless).

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#69 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:11 AM

Worth reading...

http://amp.timeinc.n...monuments-trump

I am haunted by waters

#70 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

I see the issue coming down to two positions:
1. Nothing in the Antiquities Act of 1906 allow a successor president to revoke a predecessor's National Monument declaration.
2. The National Monument declaration is not being revoked. It is being reduced in size to comply with the Act's requirement to be as small as possible to preserve the object of scientific or historic importance.

This may come down to specifying the object(s) being preserved and what is required to preserve them.
As to the lawsuits, I suspect that this administration will not allow the "sue and settle" approach of some previous administrations.

For those with a hair trigger: Notice that this is to raise points of discussion rather than ad hominem attacks on the author. :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: National Monuments, Bears Ears, Utah, Nevada, Mojave Trails, Gold Butte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users