13 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

I measured the height of my bed empty but with a full fuel tank and the left side where the tank is located is about 1/2" lower.
Then when I loaded my Hallamark the difference went to about an inch. I realized that the appliances are on the left side as well.

I inflated the airbags to raise the truck to preloaded level and to level the sides and ended up putting 75 psi on the left side and 36 psi on the right side.

My question is does everyone use the same pressure on each side or do you level the truck?
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_626.jpg

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'm not sure what brand of airbags you have but on my Dakota with Firestone airbags I wasn't near that psi.  Maybe 30.  On my RAM 1500 with TLC airbags I'm about 25.  

I think your method of measuring the right way to do it but I'd check w/ the manufactuerer to make sure you are exceeding some spec.

Also I suspect your camper is heavier than my Eagle.  One option if you keep the camper on a lot of the time is to add a spring (if those trucks have them; my RAM doesn't).  That would help reduce the psi you need.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

When I carried a hard shell camper I used airbags, and because I'd set up the suspension to fully engage the overload spring when I had the camper on, I used the airbags to level the truck.  In my case I think the pressure was 48/36 or thereabouts.  I was near the GVWR for the truck.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#4 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

I have deaver springs on my Tundra but I installed them before I thought about a hawk so it is soft for max articulation after adding airbags I run about 60-70 psi to make things level
The drivers side squat is there but it never seems to bother me on or off road. I have about 110,000mi on this set up

#5 NivekD

NivekD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWest Jordan, Utah

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

I just installed air bags on my Silverado and run 65psi on both sides and its level and the ride is great. I think it is a case by case situation. No two set ups will be the same. I think you are fine the way you have it.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT :: 1988 Sun Lite Eagle

#6 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

I have a superduty but have airbags just in case. I usually run 50 each on road and go down to 10 ea off road. I use them a lot to balance when parked and the wireless controller is a big plus. Heck I'm not even sure I can go to 75 as 60 is the most I've tried.

#7 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

36 to 75 psi from R to L seems like a big variant. Airbags may stop lifting and just start to firm up at some point ?

I am using Firestone airbags on an F150 4x4. I watched the weight closely as I added the 1075 lb ATC camper. A bit of a surprise for me was the split between front and rear axle weights. Front axle weight increased by 61 lbs. The remainder went all to the rear axle. I am within 8 % of my max GVWR, plus or minus depending on activity I am doing. Im still fiddling with air bag and tire pressure, though I believe 35 psi in the bags provides the least bouncy,best freeway ride. The drivers side usually rides 1/2 inch lower. There is a 36 gallon fuel tank slightly biased on the drivers side. I don't think I will be 100 % comfortable until I install a Deaver or similar spring pack. Primarily because I don't know how to test the load with a flat air bag without damaging it. Driving home more than an hour or two with a flat bag might just suck. :). I marvel at threadless airline connectors, from brass to plastic. I also may never accept Pex plumbing fittings either.
In conclusion air bags have proven worthiness for bazillions of miles.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#8 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

I have airbags in addition to an upgraded spring pack.   The airbags are really just to make fine adjustments for varying loads - I have never run more than 25 psi in them, and typically am at about 10 - 15 psi which is the minimum recommended pressure.   I do run it a little higher in the drivers side to compensate for the lean - maybe 15 psi on passenger side and 20 -22 psi on the drivers side.   I would be a little bit concerned about running 60 - 80 psi in the airbags.   To me this would suggest the airbags are carrying most of the load of the camper - which could put some odd strains on your frame and suspension system and lead to some weird dynamics.  

One way to think about this is to consider the area  of the top and bottom surfaces of your airbags.  With my relatively small firestone bags, it is about a 4" diameter circle - or 12 sq inches - at 20 psi, that is 240lbs being carried by each airbag.  At 75 psi, it would be 900 lbs of resting load on each airbag!   If you are running that high, you should definitely consider a spring upgrade. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#9 Esus

Esus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

I'm only using ride rites on my Chevy Colorado. I inflate one side to something like 85 and the other side to something like 65. Works great for me. I think that is pretty common with the way a lot of campers are built with appliances on one side like you mentioned. For what it's worth, a lot of people have mentioned better results when they inflate the bags first and then lower the camper onto the bed. 

2015 Chevy Colorado, 2015 FWC Fleet

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

....My question is does everyone use the same pressure on each side or do you level the truck?
Thanks!

My simple answer:  Yes, I use different pressures side-to-side in order to level the truck side-to-side.

I don't know what the different pressures are, quantitatively -- I usually just inflate to whatever is necessary to level it, not to a target pressure...but I'm pretty sure they aren't as different side-to-side as yours are.

But if that what it takes...

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users