Photo
- - - - -

What are the must have add ones? From ATC or self built. I'm about to order!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 krs1

krs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

So the time is ticking down to Jan for my pick up!!! The one thing I really can’t decide on is what mount for my fuel on the rear!!! I ordered rotopax but have read some bad reviews online. Just like everything there will be people that don’t like them but I would love to hear all of your experiences with whatever you folks have pros, cons etc.

#32 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

Count me in the "don't like my rotopax" camp.   Unfortunately I am kind of stuck with them as I designed an opening around two 3 gallon packs.   I have three problems with them:

1. They are really inefficient, with the flat shape and molded in nooks and crannies they take up a lot of volume and don't store much gas.   

2. The mount is poorly designed.    If you hand tighten the mount up in the morning or evening, by the heat of the afternoon the mounting surface on the cans will swell and you cannot get them off without some sort of big tool, which is not provided.   This is with the 'deluxe' mount, with the standard mount you would have no hope of removing it. 

3.  The lock for the mount (which is one of the reasons I chose them) is junk - in less than a year it has corroded internally to the point that I can't trust it and no longer use it - this is in low salt, low humidity Colorado.   If you are making a product specifically to mount on the outside of vehicle at a premium price, make the parts out of brass or stainless steel or something that doesn't rust!

Get a regular 'jerry can' style gas can and mount, you will be much happier. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#33 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

We use the AT gas can carriers and like them- they are dual purpose and can carry ammo storage cans as well. We use the Scepter military fuel carriers- they are quiet, don't rust and pour quickly. I made a spout for them.

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

Edited by takesiteasy, 02 November 2017 - 02:30 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#34 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

I like that ammo can mounted in the AT holder.

Did you make the hold down bracket for the ammo can or is it available from AT Overland?

Just curious, is it not dangerous to mount a fuel can above the hot heater exhaust outlet?

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#35 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

I like that ammo can mounted in the AT holder.

Did you make the hold down bracket for the ammo can or is it available from AT Overland?

Just curious, is it not dangerous to mount a fuel can above the hot heater exhaust outlet?

I made the hold down strap to fit the ammo can. It works pretty well. You can see more pictures here: http://travelswithro...ter-outlet.html

Good question on the heater vent. The heat dissipates pretty quickly from that vent- I have not had reason to worry about it. It is usually pretty cold when we are using the heater and I'm not sure we have ever had fuel cans with us when the heater has been on. Your question will cause me to check it out next time we use the heater.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#36 krs1

krs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:47 AM

Ok so update is they are starting my camper build this week so pick up will be at the end of the month, so excited!!!!! I changed my order to two at carriers, one on each side, I can live with bungying the door open if that allows me to carry an extra 5 gal of water. I purchased wavier cans 1 fuel 1 water. so interested to see how they hold up, all the reviews are great. I currently only have one battery with a 150 watt panel on order, I plan on cahrging a phone and portable speaker maybe a laptop thats it. would a dual battery setup be needed? I do have a heater and will run as needed, I have a few more days to call and make changes and not opposed to a dual setup. Is this something I can easily upgraded?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users