#11 ACEBLACKDOG

ACEBLACKDOG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

just came back from zion np....only 1 rv per site....even though 2 pop up campers take up less space than a 40' motorhome pulling a vehicle....

SO...

had to reserve 2 sites....even though there were a total of 3 people...

SO

someone (s) missed the chance to camp in beautiful zion np for 3 nights

some knucklehead(s) have a 10 yr moratorium on more than one "rv" per site...

IS THERE ANY COMMON SENSE LEFT IN THE WORLD ???????

BTW ----if you have the chance, do the 16 mile narrows hike....fantastic experience --if you hump it is under 10 hours....

#12 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:58 AM

I've never been to a campground that allowed more than 1 RV per site other than group sites that are designated as group sites and are typically marked A & B.  They are extra wide and double occupancy rates apply.  Basically you are just sharing a picnic table and campfire.

I don't know if common sense has ever been common, that's why we NEED rules.

The OP is concerned with overcrowded campgrounds, while others want 2 RVs per site.  Tough to keep everyone happy.

#13 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:02 AM

If there is enough parking space and if you meet the length requirements, you should be able to stay in "tent" spots. It really just depending your luck of camp ground host/ranger. We had a similar issue in California. Our friends reserved a full hook spot at a very popular beach. They have a big hardside truck camper with a slide out on a dodge ram. They invited us to stay with them. The campground host mentioned that only 1 RV per site even enough there was plenty of space on the pad for 2 trucks. She let us slide so I didn't bother arguing with her. We typically share our site with friends who camp in tents with no issues since, the regs are 8 people limit and 2 vehicles.  

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#14 UHAULER

UHAULER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNevada City, Ca

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

A few years ago I tried to get a tent site closer to the beach at a private campground, I had a northstar popup and the manager said no. My friend had a box van and said he was tent camping. He put up a small tent but slept in his van. I paid about $35 to camp 300' from the beach while he paid about $15 and was 25' from the beach.

2003 Ford f150 supercrew

1998 Ford E350 van

2012 yz250

#15 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:40 AM

A few years ago I tried to get a tent site closer to the beach at a private campground, I had a northstar popup and the manager said no. My friend had a box van and said he was tent camping. He put up a small tent but slept in his van. I paid about $35 to camp 300' from the beach while he paid about $15 and was 25' from the beach.

I guess I will be carrying my 1P tent on my next trip out west.  Setup the tent and sleep in my camper.  Crazy way to manage a campground.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#16 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

I guess I will be carrying my 1P tent on my next trip out west.  Setup the tent and sleep in my camper.  Crazy way to manage a campground.

I can see them snapping and then putting measures in place to stop that soon.

#17 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

White House Campground in Utah at the start of the hike down the Paria River or the exit from Buckskin Gulch used to be posted as "No Sleeping in Vehicles" there were a couple signs there to that effect.  Not sure how strictly it was enforced, didn't stop us from sleeping in the back of the truck (pre-camper).

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#18 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

Sorry about those problems! Gee, maybe I have been lucky!  Over these last 12 years of camping in my Granby, never had a major problem of where I parked/camped in Ca/Nev/Or ----again, most of us try to avoid those road side over night types and the popular over crowded ones that have heavy use and high turn overs just because camping there can be a free for all!  When I first got the pop-up, and I was unsure of where to park especially if they had the spaces marked for RV, tent camping etc,, I asked and did what they said (if they knew) and I usually ended up parking in the smaller rv ones and left the trailer and -as a former back packer-the obvious tent camper ones alone. Although one cold and rainy winter day, the ranger let me camp in a tent space near a trail head at one of the more popular Ca coastal CG's. Luck and time of year and very few other campers can make all the difference to a fun time.

As a rule -unless I was told I could-I never parked in the tent ones. In the more primitive dry type CG's, we go to, hopefully, the trailers and large RV's  can not get there and that problem goes away-after all isn't that why we bought the pop-up in the first place-to get away from the milling masses?  Trip planning, whether to the out back or off of coastal hw1, it is still a must since all states, fed agencies and private areas can and have different rules and those unpleasant surprises can be avoided by that  phone call.  I still try to travel on the week days, stop early and camp if I can and be set up and be hidden away by the time any week end  crowds(?) show up.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 10 July 2017 - 08:07 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#19 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:33 AM

I am really glad to tell you we are in a who cares where you camp area. Pick a Government camp site. No reservations taken. 12.00 Canadian per night. With that you get free for the taking firewood. Just leave what you don;t use at the site for the next people. Being residents we get a year permit for 50.00. Stay 2 weekends and the rest of the year is free.
I have seen generators mysteriously disapear during the night.
Hunting season starts in 3 weeks.

Robbie

#20 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:45 AM

I see nothing wrong with camping with a popup in a tent site as long as the vehicle fits. I understand rules are rules but if a similar vehicle profile will fit, i.e. a truck with a topper/shell, then nothing wrong with a popup. This is especially true if there's no generator or other noise coming from the camper.

But I too bought the camper to go with my truck because I wanted to be off the beaten path and not surrounded with others. Sometimes this is possible and others not.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users