• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

I was researching the possibility of upgrading the dual 75 AH AGM batteries that came with my 2016 Grandby.  I came across the following lithium battery called the LiFeBlue Battery.  http://www.lifeblueb...ery/index.html  It is also sold by Starlight Solar in Yuma, AZ.

The LiFeBlue 200 AH lithium battery is a drop-in replacement.  It contains its own battery management system, so you don't have to purchase and wire up this necessary accessory.  The size is smaller than 4D, and the dimensions seem to be a perfect fit for the current battery compartment in my 2016 Grandby, where my two 75 AH AGM batteries now sit. 

This battery also contains what they call the "Smart Connect" system.  As they describe it, you download an app to your phone, then you can read and monitor via bluetooth the State of Charge, Voltage, Temperature, and the Charge or Discharge Current of your battery.  It also keeps track of the number of "cycles" the battery has experienced in its lifetime, defined as one cycle equals 80% of a discharge.  It also notes events such as an overcurrent discharge event.  This is better than a battery monitor! 

Cost for the 200 AH model is $1788.  Free Shipping now.  They also have a 100 AH and a 300 AH model.

Anyone have any experience with this particular model?  It seems perfect, to me, other than the cost.  But I am not sure that Lithium batteries are going to get that much cheaper, what with the electric car movement gaining steam. 

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

Your link does not work for me. Is this the website you meant to link to?

http://www.lifeblueb...y-features.html

Thank you.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

I was researching the possibility of upgrading the dual 75 AH AGM batteries that came with my 2016 Grandby.  I came across the following lithium battery called the LiFeBlue Battery.  http://www.lifeblueb...ery/index.html  It is also sold by Starlight Solar in Yuma, AZ.

The LiFeBlue 200 AH lithium battery is a drop-in replacement.  It contains its own battery management system, so you don't have to purchase and wire up this necessary accessory.  The size is smaller than 4D, and the dimensions seem to be a perfect fit for the current battery compartment in my 2016 Grandby, where my two 75 AH AGM batteries now sit. 

This battery also contains what they call the "Smart Connect" system.  As they describe it, you download an app to your phone, then you can read and monitor via bluetooth the State of Charge, Voltage, Temperature, and the Charge or Discharge Current of your battery.  It also keeps track of the number of "cycles" the battery has experienced in its lifetime, defined as one cycle equals 80% of a discharge.  It also notes events such as an overcurrent discharge event.  This is better than a battery monitor! 

Cost for the 200 AH model is $1788.  Free Shipping now.  They also have a 100 AH and a 300 AH model.

Anyone have any experience with this particular model?  It seems perfect, to me, other than the cost.  But I am not sure that Lithium batteries are going to get that much cheaper, what with the electric car movement gaining steam. 

That does sound very high-tech and all... but at that price you would need to have good reasons for wanting the advantages of Lithium.... like faster charging in case you drive every day and want to take advantage of the alternator dumping 50A into your batteries for an hour.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

I don't see why they wouldn't drop in price. I sure hope so or my plan of running ten of them in series will have a serious flaw :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 adamxcl

adamxcl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe/Albuquerque Area, NM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

Impressive stuff and worth keeping an eye on for sure.

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

Everyone, please, keep posting advances, experiences, & new vendors and prices on LiFePo4 batteries. I hope to be able to find a good, affordable, replacement for my factory AGM batteries in a few years. (Or sooner if I mess them up). :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Esus

Esus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

Zirdu,

I'm running a different LiFePO4 battery in my rig. I love it. Light, fast charging, can practically discharge completely. I spent ~$800 on my 100 ah Battle Born battery with built in BMS. I love the bluetooth insight, but don't get that directly from my battery. I have both a Victron battery monitor and Victron solar controller so I can bluetooth into each device and get tons of good data. It's very useful for really understanding energy needs, consumption, and recharge during different conditions. Great for troubleshooting too. One thing you might consider in increasing your charging capacity and decreasing your storage capacity as a way to save $$$. An extra panel is a lot cheaper than Lithium amp hours. Cheers.

2015 Chevy Colorado, 2015 FWC Fleet

#8 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

I also follow the Airstream forums (airforums.com), and there are many, many threads discussing lithium batteries.  If you google "airstream lithium batteries" it will bring up a list to start with.  Several people have upgraded to lithiums, and seem very happy with them.  The main negative that I have seen, other than cost, was that they can not be charged if the battery is below 32 deg F.  This may or may not be a factor depending on how/where they are used.

#9 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies.  I will not be buying a Lithium battery any time soon, since there is nothing wrong with my AGMs right now!  Just trying to keep up with the latest offerings. I do need a little more power than some, since sometimes I have my wife with me, and she uses a portable oxygen generator at night. 

I have two 120 watt flexible panels on my roof now, wired in series into a Victron 100/30 controller.  I have their "dongle" wired to the controller to give good information (to my cell phone via bluetooth) on performance of the solar system.  I am planning to build a foldable portable unit to plug into the rear plug, wiring two flexible 50 watt panels in series.  That will give me a total of up to 340 watts of power, nominal.  Should be enough! 

I mounted the flexible panels to the roof with pieces of 1 inch square aluminum tubing.  The tubing is attached to roof with VHB tape, and the panels are then screwed to the tubing.  So I can remove the panels if necessary without a problem.  I will do a post on my installation soon, hopefully with pictures. 

#10 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Looking at their website, they lay out some simple math to show that their batteries have at least 5 times the longevity of lead acid batteries.  The cost of the 200 AH battery is $1788, which would buy twelve 75 AH AGM batteries at $140 each, or six pairs of batteries.  So the longevity per dollar number is similar, and with the Lithium you wouldn't be swapping out old batteries six times, plus it is 200 AH versus the 150 AH of the dual AGM setup, and I'm guessing it takes up the space of one battery.  

It seems like one of those things that makes sense if you can afford it, but that is a big investment up front.  Interesting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, lithium battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users