Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

Looking back at camp.
48198541142_19d8517645_b.jpg
48198539622_b2b6138c58_b.jpg

Oh yeah I finally did something about my grill..
48198492531_d23bca8d8e_b.jpg

Storm exploring around the creek. 
48198535717_a4d5185d18_b.jpg
48198488286_5559b27bb1_b.jpg

I offered up to cook for the group. I carry a 20lb propane bottle in the camper so no running out of 1lb coleman bottles.  Jeeps can't carry what I can..
48198531447_b1398081d7_b.jpg

After Dinner my buddy Shane takes up the BB gun to protect the camp.  He's a nut.  
48198484076_bb64c4c794_b.jpg

#192 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

My view from the bunk the next morning.  Storm was warm and toasty.  Never turned the furnace on since it was so warm overnight. 
48198463671_63d5a1cc5e_b.jpg

Morning sunlight on the lake.
48198508692_83c21cb11b_b.jpg

Coming back down.  This spot is significant to me and my buddy Larry.  We had come up here May of '17 to prove out our rides prior to the Desert trip. There was three snow banks that led up to this spot. Without going into full detail again, Larry's truck had both right side tires off the trail right here.  I was able to extract him with my winch and we backed down to a wide spot to camp for the night. 
48198506222_0a3d9e704d_b.jpg

The snowmelt runoff is very heavy for this late in June.  
48198478221_b99e15a261_b.jpg

Dropping in elevation again, the valley comes back into view.  

I would have liked to be out longer, but longer adventures will come later this summer.  It was good to get some dirt on the tires though.

#193 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

Truck is looking great. Black grill 👍
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#194 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:36 PM

Bosch made H4's to fit those tiny HL buckets. Susquehanna Motorsports may still have some left. Was a large improvement for my '91 Sub.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#195 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:36 AM

Bosch made H4's to fit those tiny HL buckets. Susquehanna Motorsports may still have some left. Was a large improvement for my '91 Sub.

I've looked a long time for the e-code Bosch lamp housings.   Long gone.  If they do pop up on Ebay they want a mint for them.  For the what they want for the E-code bulbs I could change the core support for the cheaper version with the dual headlamps and replace the grille and headlight bezels too.  At least then I could have many options for quality LED housings with the proper cut off.

The fall back is bending over at LMC for $120 worth of their light housings that take drop in bulbs.  

I should just put the HD headlamp relay harness in that I got from LMC but I'll have to swap the plug ends over since they used plugs that don't match the factory H4703 and H4701 bulb sockets.  At least I'll get full battery voltage to the lights and get better output out of the halogens.  

#196 k5nutt

k5nutt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction Colorado

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:17 AM

Last i looked the only Bosch housings that you could touch were the high beams. The low beam housings were also used for overseas gm fog lights. However hens teeth and unobtanium are the key words.

Thats why i did the complete core support swap to get the H6054's in play so i had options.

I had the LMC housings. Wasn't thrilled with the beam pattern. I am not sure if Dave aka 6772xtc on ck5 has used them as i gave them to him. 

So my 2 cents is ditch the 4/5 year only gm tiny lights for a core support that uses standard sizes. More work...yes...but happier you will be said Yoda...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#197 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:16 PM

Last i looked the only Bosch housings that you could touch were the high beams. The low beam housings were also used for overseas gm fog lights. However hens teeth and unobtanium are the key words.

Thats why i did the complete core support swap to get the H6054's in play so i had options.

I had the LMC housings. Wasn't thrilled with the beam pattern. I am not sure if Dave aka 6772xtc on ck5 has used them as i gave them to him. 

So my 2 cents is ditch the 4/5 year only gm tiny lights for a core support that uses standard sizes. More work...yes...but happier you will be said Yoda...

If I find a complete setup I may do just that.  It may wait until after the repower project occurs.  I got a lot of stuff I still need to buy for that swap so lighting will take a backseat for now.  

#198 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:39 AM

Getting ready for a new adventure.   One month out from heading to Moab for Blazer Bash.  It's an annual gathering of like minded full size Chevy guys and gals for 3 days on Moab Slickrock.  Think Easter Jeep Safari on a much smaller scale and with cooler full size K5's, K10's  and other GM truck goodness.  

I've got a buddy I've been trading parts with and helping with his FWC Blazer Camper build who is also planning on attending.  We'll be meeting up in Salida, CO and driving to Montrose together.  He and his son are coming from Denver while my son and I are leaving from Pueblo.  Once in Montrose we will get a fresh map of the RimRocker trail and the 160 miles of dirt it covers.  We'll spend one night on Rimrocker and pull into Moab the afternoon the following day.  

The next two days in Moab we will tackle the Hell's revenge trail and Flat Iron Mesa.  

Not much to do to the truck but repack as we get closer.  Maybe swap in some fresh plugs as the mileage has dropped and my tune seems to be a bit on the rich side so the plugs may be fouled.  Other than that its load and go.

Really looking forward to hitting both the overland style Rimrocker and the slickrock of Moab.  Plus I won't be the only FWC Blazer camper out there.  

#199 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:12 AM

One month huh? Just enough time to that big block in there...

Spent the last hour going through the thread Rob. Interesting!

Looking forward to our trip next year when I get to pop-the-top with you guys. Two FWC's, two Phoenix and one French/Portuguese thing I know a bit about.  :D

Edited by Oilbrnr, 06 August 2019 - 06:48 AM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#200 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:43 AM

Yeah no big block swapping is happening in that time.  The head cheese at the BigAssGas Garage won't let it in until the snow flies anyway.  I can plod along with the 5.3 as it's still way better than the TBI 350 that was in mine anyway.  

Thanks for checking out my build on the camper.   It's been an adventure and thank goodness I know people that are much better carpenters than I am.  With the new bench layout I really streamlined my packing and access to gear.  Much easier than last year with me an Ian filling it to the gills.  This next trip will be the first one out more than a weekend and we'll be moving every day similar to the Desert trips.  So fast set up and take down are the goal.  Seemed like it worked pretty well on the last overnighter.  

Having another camper to pop the top with should be fun.  Can't wait to check yours out for sure.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: K5, Blazer, 4wc, 4wheel, FWC, pop-up, camper, crawlabago

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users