#11 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

According to https://www.merriam-...dictionary/camp

We do not camp.

We almost always find a place 1/4 to 1 mile away from the road.  When traveling on the interstates, we might have to stay at a Walmart just for the restrooms.

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#12 adamxcl

adamxcl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe/Albuquerque Area, NM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:57 AM

Thank you for the great replies. I kind f thought about a cone or some kind of road hazard use object. Course then I wouldn't have it while gone but I am probably not traveling that far anyway. I like the sign idea but can't always stake it so some combo might be needed, maybe the sign staked in a cone or water bottle.

Never have a issue when many others are nearby. It's always when I would love a park otherwise. 40 sites and maybe 2 or 3 are occupied. So no eyes on it and then you know it was only a few options but it could also be the drive throughs we see so often.

#13 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

I usually use chalk outline of wife laying on ground in setup area by hookups... and then a piece of Police boundary tape does the trick.

OK I'm kidding but seeing as some of you have had issues I may pickup a marker cone or even the sign (easier to store).

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

I usually use chalk outline of wife laying on ground in setup area by hookups... and then a piece of Police boundary tape does the trick.

OK I'm kidding but seeing as some of you have had issues I may pickup a marker cone or even the sign (easier to store).

I think you are on to something about the "white outline" and police tape.

It would get attention.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Backroad Joe

Backroad Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPinon Hills, CA

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

Like Ronin I usually camp where others would be very rare. But I will make an occupied sign to help those that may not understand the triangular road reflector I put up.

I normally post the triangle reflector for when I'm in camp, which usually has a short "approach" road. That way I know if someone drives into my camp they have run over my reflector/sign and I will emerge wearing my sidearm. Otherwise I'll wave and walk over to say hi.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L Hemi, 2011 Palomino Bronco B800, 1968 Jeep CJ5

KG6YQQ

#16 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:23 AM

Cheap garage sale easy pop-up tent.

#17 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

This is a two-fold post....first, how to keep site poachers from setting up in your site and second what about thieves.

First, I have a 4" x 16" plywood "OCCUPIED" sign strung on about 30' of cheap plastic "rope" to string between trees/rocks or whatever. I also have an old stake to drive into the ground to hold it. If you get a reservation in advance you can print out, then attach a cop of that to it in an envelope with a clothspin. Do not make this setup too attractive or someone will "borrow" it.

Second, there is a problem in many camps where local yahoos come through with nothing more on their minds than to steal what they can to sell at flea markets or to fil out their own camping gear. With that in mind we have left nothing but a cheap plastic throw-away table cloth in the site in some sites.

This never used to happen...but now it does...the alternative is going further out into no-man's land or to campsites far from towns.

A sad commentary on today's state of recreational camping isn't it....

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#18 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:55 AM

For us it depends on the type of camping.   If we are in an established fee to camp type campground (USFS, BLM, NPS etc) then we typically just assume the tag on the post is enough, but sometimes leave out a camp chair if we are setting them up anyway.    

On the other hand if it is dispersed camping (ie camp where ever you want) our thinking is that if we are not there, then the campsite is up for grabs.  In the close in NF areas around here there is an increasing trend for people to pop up to the mountains on a Thursday or even Wednesday and throw up a paper plate saying 'occupied'  and/or a few crappy chairs to 'reserve' their campsite then not come back to occupy it until Saturday.   In some areas I have seen folks drop of a trailer and leave it there for a couple of weeks, only using it on the weekend.   In the campgrounds with hosts at least, they have had to make a rule that you must occupy the site on the first night or they pull your tag, regardless of how many nights you paid for, in order to clamp down 'site reservers'.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#19 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:39 AM

I like this thread for a couple reasons.
1) I recently saw a home depot bucket with the words "occupied " on it. Hay that's cool and a good idea.
2) it got me to thinking why the need to tell someone driving by this is your site? You could leave a chair or something, let's say you just have nothing to spare. I liked the bucket idea.

Now here is a second gift to me I get a couple of pages on y'all's perspective about this. So I think it's a good post.
I have no bucket, and recently left a table cooler 2 chairs and a coffee cup in a space we left for a few hours. so guess we got lucky.

Russ

What about crime scene tape, with the chalk outline just beyond:)
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#20 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

I've been a little unsure if all of you folks are talking about fee to camp sites so I am glad to see rando's post (#18).

Where there is no tag and post clip I have spread a table cloth (assumes there is a picnic table) but wouldn't want to see a cooler on it (appearing as an animal attractant). The cone is a great idea as I carry some already. But in practice we usually just overnight leaving the vehicle and walking to register, shower, visit lake shore etc. Typically we would not leave anything out of the vehicle if not present (or even when sleeping inside).

For no pay sites and bush camping  I agree with rando - leave it and you forfeit it. For these places I dislike the practice of "reserving" early. Especially when the sign is never taken down ! I've also seen this occur with multiple sites, one camper "holding" for his friends. Happens a lot during hunting season as well as the trailer left for the "season" - much cheaper than buying a cottage I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users