• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

Storage idea:

I have been using those mountainsmith type rectangular soft storage cubes. 4 fit in a soft tray. Turns out, each ones fits behind the stock couch very nice against the window. When I turn the couch down, these stack up in a corner, the floor, or on top of the counters nice and easy. Removable as well. In a pinch, through the slider and into the back seat of the truck.

Good luck with storage.

dave

#12 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I really won't know until I've made cushions. I can tell you that the "bed" length is around 51 inches. The only child who sleeps in the camper is good for at least 5 years (after which I might put the cab pass through in and he can sleep there). Furthermore, since the "bed" is 3 cushions, and the folders don't seem to lay perfectly level (mild angle, I can probably fix when with hot wire cutter) I don't expect a lot of comfort.

By 'folders' you mean... folding hardware?

That said, my wife wanted the dinette so she'd have a good place to sit while reading, drawing, using a laptop or whatever. This mod is--according to her--a vast improvement.

If doing Pareto analysis, this observation would be a clear number one in my mind.

Of course, storage got more complicated: what we once threw on the shelf, captured between wall and couch, now requires different containment. While simple solutions exist (e.g. Rubbermaid containers, netting, milk crates, duffel bags), I haven't settled on one yet.

This is why you *needed* to start with a quick prototype design and then see how to improve it-- just too complicated to wrap ones mind around (without solid modeling which is why you might want to get familiar with that Sketchup freeware). Even for those of us who are CAD proficient, nothing is as life-like as life.

Keep on.

#13 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

By 'folders' you mean... folding hardware?

Yes.

If doing Pareto analysis, this observation would be a clear number one in my mind.

Yes.

This is why you *needed* to start with a quick prototype design and then see how to improve it-- just too complicated to wrap ones mind around (without solid modeling which is why you might want to get familiar with that Sketchup freeware). Even for those of us who are CAD proficient, nothing is as life-like as life.

Keep on.

Unfortunately Google hasn't released a native Linux SketchUp or source. So it's a non-starter for me. I tried Blender, but ultimately found that I wasn't patient enough for the huge learning curve and reverted to paper and pencil.

This dinette in fact went through multiple prototype revisions that changed size, mounting, and various other minor details. My first mock-up was scrap plywood, some cardboard, and my plastic entry ladder (to sit on). Playing around with these props in the camper was tremendously advantageous!

You know, I really like your couch and am mulling over an adaption and extension of your work into a dinette. Ultimately, I might make a small scale cardboard mock-up... But for now I think I'll camp instead of build, my current dinette is "good enough"!

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#14 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

Very nice work. I am in the process of remodeling my old Fleet with a similair dinette set up. Great to see how someone else is putting it together. Where did you get your seat hinges for dinette? I will post pictures as soon as make some progress. The more posts I see the more my dinette design evolves. Thanks

#15 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

Very nice work. I am in the process of remodeling my old Fleet with a similair dinette set up. Great to see how someone else is putting it together. Where did you get your seat hinges for dinette? I will post pictures as soon as make some progress. The more posts I see the more my dinette design evolves. Thanks

I just used door hinges on the solo seat, and haven't finished the dual, yet. I'll probably swap to piano, but the door hinge--since it doesn't support weight--should be adequate...

The dual will probably be fully removable. Just lift up, held in place by "cleats"...

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#16 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:00 AM

I am curious as to where to get the roll over seat back hinges that allow the seat back to fold down.

#17 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:41 AM

I am curious as to where to get the roll over seat back hinges that allow the seat back to fold down.

Ah! I see! I got them "used", but you can purchase them from the FWC parts department. This will likely be the most expensive part of the mod. I'm not convinced that roll-over is the way to go. Fixed back might work just as well.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#18 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

Just got back from the first trip with the beta-dinette.

Posted Image

WOW, I say. The utility of the space rocks. The improvement in light is fantastic, if only because you are no longer looking at cabinetry when seated.

Furthermore, there is significantly more room for a toddler to play. Some of this comes from a necessary behavioral change on our part: we could not just throw stuff loose on the shelf behind the couch. Everything went in an easily moved and stacked bin or a duffel bag.

Before I forget, here are some words from my lovely wife:

First time camping since Scott made the dinette modification. Compared to the bench seat we had previously, the dinette is SO family friendly. The set up is much roomier and the layout is far more conversational. I liked that there was room for the hubby, a tween and the toddler to sit there while I prepared a meal and served it to them at the table. When we had the bench, there wasn't a lot of room for other people to sit on it while I was cooking - knees in the way. And, of course, no table, so I was handing the food out. We always had to eat outside. While that is usually something we WANT to be doing, since we're camping, after all, it was pretty cold on this trip (got below freezing at night) so we were glad to have the dine-inside-where-it-was-warm-and-comfortable option.

Anyway, I got the cab side seat absolutely right. I now need to build the cushions and determine an anchor method, probably wooden cleats. The rear seat cushion will likely go to the halfway point on the window to allow light. No angle on it, just straight up and down. Any angle would be purchased at the expense of space somewhere else.

Posted Image

Next, I have 1/2" plywood on the solo seat, but I'm pretty sure it's already cracked. 3/4" with a few support ribs (since the front is open) feels about right. Also, I'm going to dump the door hinges and install a piano hinge. I think I also need to move the solo an inch or so closer to the other seat so the back will span the open floor. Also, I am pleased with the FWC folders: they are both swift and solid.

For the table, I'm going to start simple and resize only. You can probably see in the pictures, it's currently just too small. As we use it I'll brainstorm a more stable anchoring.

There were 4 of us on this trip. We used a small 3 legged folding camp stool in the aisle for a 4th place at the table. Worked great. Although the little guy can just sit on the camper overhang for about 3 more years...

One of my concerns with this mod was a change in storage. Unexpectedly, it's improved. I carry a large Rubbermaid bin (48x18x??) that I previously had to lift through the door and over the top of the seat. It contains all the gear necessary for the 3 outside campers so it's kind of heavy. Now, it just slides through the door. We will travel with the solo in the down (bed) position and it easily supports the clothes duffel bags and light food containers.

Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome. This mod was well worth the effort.

Attached Thumbnails

• dinette_action.jpg

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#19 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:46 AM

Time to rev the dinette's version. Let's call this version 0.2.1... What's in a version number, anyway?

Somewhere above I say I'm going to use the camper before I finalize the dinette... After using it twice and seeing pictures of FWC's dinette, I'm ready to complete it.

In the pic you can see the tentative bench, hinge, and "mounting strip" in the background. I'm seriously considering making the strip wider and bench narrower by 4 inches. This way I only need to move one cushion to open. Wish I would have planned that up front. Oh well. I'll test it in the camper before I cut....

In the foreground you see the new solo. The gray box is standing in for the camper ledge. This seat will have a piano hinge also (running North South, above the ledge) with the seat top resting on those lips.

Workmanship is much improved here. I started by cleaning my workspace. I had 3.5 unusable benches (plans here, I recommend these) before I cleaned up. 3 of the 4 are now usable. Having a clean workspace helps!

Furthermore, I put a new blade in the circular saw. Complete deal changer, don't know why I didn't think to replace the blade sooner...

Attached Thumbnails

• atc_dinette_teaser.jpg

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#20 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

I'd rather camp than work on the camper, but at least I'm making progress. The dual dinette -- behind the little camper -- is installed as well as the solo bottom; however, the folders aren't attached nor is the solo seat back complete...

Attached Thumbnails

• atc_dinette_in_progree.jpg

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users