Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

Hello Group

After my basic course it was suggested that i consider getting rock rails to protect my door panels.

I have received comments from shorter people who "climbed" into my F350 that I should get running boards, steps,  maybe a ladder.

My off road course instructors pointed out that running boards and steps frequently get bent if traversing poor roads ( these guys are primarily trail drivers, and drive jeeps in the Rubicon flavor, so that is where they are coming from ).

Now wile I will avoid most trails I will make mistakes in estimating so I would like some protection ( door panels ) and functionality for my shorter passengers.

In researching, my problem is I have a 2017 and there are no "rock rails" in general available yet ( found one set of "chrome pretty" which begs the question rock or no rock ). Anyone have rock rails made if so by whom?

Steel not aluminum, apparently a Ford Raptor on a supervised training run had aluminum "rock rails" and when it slide side ways on rock incline the weight of the Raptor crushed the aluminum into sealing the doors ( apparently 5 guys bouncing in sync where able to un-seal the door held shut by the "rail".

Designs you have seen, liked and if you have actually seen them work, take a ding or worse maybe. Pictures would be very good.

Terence

Terence

Ford F350XL, ( Badging indicates "STX" ) CC-LB-SRW, FX4, Snow plow/Camper prep. Bought ( August 2017, used Hallmark Everest ( Mfg in Dec 2015 ).

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:30 PM

Check with CBI Offroad Fab and see if they have sliders for your truck. They make both bolt on and weld on sliders.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

been pondering this myself.  

To complicate things, I have the frame mount tork-lift tiedowns which look like they would conflict with any wheel to wheel sliders.  Do you have bed mount tiedowns?  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#4 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:39 AM

I always thought that sliders or running boards were just things to get hung up on. If you damage your doors on a vehicle that passenger think is to high to get into, then you have grossly underestimated the road/trail or grossly overestimated your driving abilities.

cwd

CWDT

#5 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

IMHO Running boards are steps and offer no real physical protection. On the other hand "sliders" or "rock rails" have many advantages.

Side protection if you slide off the trail/road, the ability to slide on them over rocks, can be used as a pivot point, lifting the truck with a hi-lift (or other jack).

Cheers! 

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#6 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

I always thought that sliders or running boards were just things to get hung up on. If you damage your doors on a vehicle that passenger think is to high to get into, then you have grossly underestimated the road/trail or grossly overestimated your driving abilities.

cwd

Sliders and running boards are two very different things. Sliders attach to the vehicle frame and, at least mine, don't stick down below it.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#7 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

cwd

You never know when sliders are needed if you are actually exploring. There are multitudes of places that sliders are needed to prevent rocker and even door damage. I'm pretty experienced off road and ride with others that are just as or more experienced. Sure in my jeep I have options of lines taken a lot of the time. However in my Superduty not so much. We came around corners and I HAD TO slide over ledges or turn around (if possible) If the OP plans on getting out and about sliders are well worth the "Warm Fuzzy" of having them when needed. That said a full size 1 ton needs a good set to protect with all that weight. Do your homework before buying. Oh and sliders can help with access to the cab ;)

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Running boards are the stuff that you leave behind on the trail somewhere unintentionally. Hopefully you don't get a flat from running them over just after tearing them off.

Sliders protect the sides from underestimating a trail or over estimating driving skill; sometimes both. Done well they can also function as a step. Suggest deck grip tape be applied where they will be stepped on or deck traction additive be added to the piant used on the top surfaces.

Built with that need in mind I see no reason that sliders can't replace a low-hanging camper tie-down bracket. I'd prefer sliders to the bracket anyway. Those brackets have always looked like rock catchers to me.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

If you want sliders I'd suggest having them custom built.  I think you're going to have a hard time finding some aftermarkets that will be up to the task.  That said, if you're somewhere in your truck and you need them, then you're more man and more adventurous than I am.  I have taken my old truck off the beaten path and I never munched a running board.  I did have a lift that allowed me to go a bit further tho. If I don't know whats ahead, I'll walk and scout it out.  The long wheel base is not a lot of fun to wheel in tight quarters.   

The 17's are tall and it's not real easy to get in the truck without some sort of step. I didn't get the factory running boards as they hang lower than I liked for what I do.  I ended up with some Magnum RT steps that hug the body nicely.  However had I known, I would have gotten the factory boars and then used the F150 brackets which will tuck the board up nice and tight to the body.  I feel like I have plenty of ground clearance on mine and figure if I don't I'll add a 2" leveling kit up front and bump up to 37's.  Just my 2 cents.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#10 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

If you do not sliders but want a step that does not protrude check out http://www.amp-research.com/. 

Cheers!

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: running boards, rock rails, damage, body panels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users