Route Plan for 1st time solo female

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

I'm looking for advice on routes from The Columbia Gorge to Dallas, TX in mid November. My wife will be doing her first solo trip so it needs to be as easy a trip as possible (don't want to discourage her from "adventure" traveling and she can be easily overwhelmed). She has 6-7 days to make the trip and can go as direct or indirect as weather & time allow. Any suggestions /advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Route suggestions for solo first time timid traveler.

Edited by windy, 13 October 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

Tough call because of how the weather could play into things that time of year.  Also, what kind of vehicle and just how much adventure/ what sort of things does she want to do?  Where has she been before?  Google maps says 28 hours from Biggs Jct (random place I picked in the gorge) to Dallas.  How much time does she want to drive each day?

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

Based on that time of year I'd be tempted to drive down the Oregon and California coast and then east by Joshua Tree, the Mojave, etc.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#4 crazybill

crazybill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCaliente, CA.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

Gosh, I hope this isn't a round trip in 6 or 7 days. Even one way it's roughly 285 miles per day on the most direct route. Gonna take some careful planning or the last couple days could be hectic. 

Sure could be a fun and picturesque trip though, whatever route she picks.

-Bill-

1991 Dodge W350 CTD SRW

1996 Dodge W3500 CTD DRW

#5 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:08 PM

She will be driving a 2013 Tacoma with a camper. One way trip (I'm working then I'll fly into Dallas where she will pick me up then we have 3 weeks for the return trip) and she is giving herself a week to complete it. No real off road driving experience other than dirt roads. She doesn't want to drive any more than 7-8 hours per day.

#6 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

I like the "southern" route myself. Better odds for decent weather. We have made the "direct" route several times and it can be a real pain in the winter. Every time we make the trip we are on a schedule so we usually stick to the interstate (yuck!). This time she has no real set schedule and since she is going solo she figures this might be a good time to push her comfort zone just a little to make the trip a little more rewarding.

#7 crazybill

crazybill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCaliente, CA.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

If I were making that trip the Southern route would be my choice too. But I'm a 'desert rat' anyway.

I have no problem with being on an interstate for a while. But I always see things that I just have to come back to explore better at a later date.

1991 Dodge W350 CTD SRW

1996 Dodge W3500 CTD DRW

#8 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for the additional info.  

I'd make a trip down through to Spanish Fork then cut across on 6 and 191 through Utah and northern AZ, pick up Canyon de Chelly, maybe on to Gallup, NM and then drop through and see Carlsbad before heading on to Dallas.  

Lots to see on the 191 route, great cafe in Bluff, UT and VotG, Butler Wash or Comb Wash all offer camping options there and none are bad options.

Off Road Utility Trailer

#9 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for the additional info.  

I'd make a trip down through to Spanish Fork then cut across on 6 and 191 through Utah and northern AZ, pick up Canyon de Chelly, maybe on to Gallup, NM and then drop through and see Carlsbad before heading on to Dallas.  

Lots to see on the 191 route, great cafe in Bluff, UT and VotG, Butler Wash or Comb Wash all offer camping options there and none are bad options.

thanks

#10 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:45 AM

So, after talking to my housemate (female) and a couple of other climbing and wandering friends who are also female they are a bit taken aback by the fact that gender should even be a deciding factor in what sort of route would be recommended.

I will admit that that I didn't really think about gender in my first response as my other questions were far more pertinent regardless of who is making the trip.  

Perhaps it is time that we view trips as a timid novice versus a confident traveler and leave any gender based expectations at the exit off the highway so to speak.

Off Road Utility Trailer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users