• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

A quick route would be the slant or button hook. Post routes take longer and you need better protection. Yards after catch can make a big difference :P

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#22 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:08 AM

I can't offer any advice on routes but I do think its more the novice vs. experienced explorer rather than anything gender related. 

My older sister just finished a ten day high sierra trail backpacking trip. She took my advice and got an inreach. Not only did I feel safer but it was fun following along as she posted updates. Not cheap but peace of mind  for both of you.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#23 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

Yah, when (not if) I go FT again on the road, I'll get an InReach. I really liked the security the SPOT gave me when I was out of cell signal areas, but having the ability to have some two-way communication would be better. (and yah, with both can set it to track you so that friends and family can follow along, or get worried if you are in one location and not communicating for longer than planned.)

Oh, and I totally second Cayuse's recommendation of going through Utah! :-D

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#24 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

We are familiar with spot but not with inreach. After checking it out I really like it. I work on ships and have, in the past, done research on it iridium phones. The deterrent was trying to find a decent plan that didn't break the bank. Inreach may be the answer. Thanks for the tip.

#25 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

The project today is to get 2 routes (primary and alternate) laid out based on everyone's input. Thanks again.

#26 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

My last minute 2 cents...years ago my bff moved from Portland OR to Oklahoma City and we drove the route, didn't have a lot of time ( but two drivers helped of course. ) Went through eastern OR spent a night in  Ogden Utah....another in  Zion National Park...stayed just outside and drove through either the Hopi or Navajo Nation - years ago, can't remember exactly... Flagstaff...Santa Fe..then through Texas. We were in a car and my friend was handicapped so we took main roads/interstates and checked in with her mother every night hahaha. That said it was an EPIC trip, we stayed in motels of course, but I'd do it again in a second with the camper, that exact route too. 

Of course weather being a factor around Flagstaff, for example. Squally weather could be a factor on the Oregon/Norcal coast that time of year, farther south coastal traffic could be a pain. Either way is gorgeous and weather is a coin toss. 

She'll have a blast! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. 

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#27 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:39 AM

As a "female"who has traveled solo for many years now (and gotten herself into plenty of trouble) I can appreciate the concern at the same time I kind of cringe at the idea that being a "female"somehow limits me to certain routes. 

You're a good man, windy. And I understand your concern. 

And I would not necessarily recommend Hwy 395 at that time of year unless we have a winter that is late in coming. I drive it all the time but I have been doing it for 20+ years. It could be incredible but it could be hellish in a storm. I also would think twice about the California coast but that is because I can have panic attacks in traffic and the coast route, unless you plan a lot of zigging and zagging, inevitably involves the SF bay area. I think a lot of it depends on what you are accustomed to. I'll take a blizzard on 395 over 4 lanes of bumper to bumper on 101 any day. 

#28 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:59 AM

Hello all
Have had several conversation about this and now hear what others picked up on with the use of female in the subject line.
I did not read it like you said originally, hear it now. I dot think windy ment it like that either. Don't think any of the suggestions did either. Wasn't trying to stir the pot , but glad I posted what I did because I learned something.
Thanks for the comments Hoyden and teledork. Sorry if I offend anyone so please accept my apology.
Not able to help on a ot of the routes from your neck of the woods. Can tell you that we picked up our camper from Marty early January this year when Reno was hit with that big storm road from Reno was clear but lots of snow all around. From Fallon south all the way back on 95 to Vegas, was great.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#29 Alvis

Alvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Depending on where you hit Texas, one option if coming through the panhandle / Llano Estacado region you have three state parks in route to Dallas.  Palo Duro Canyon (2nd largest Canyon in the US), Caprock Canyons (home of Texas State Bison herd), and Coppers Break (portion of Texas Longhorn herd).  I would rank them in the order listed above.  Have fun and welcome to Texas.

2015 F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed 2.7

2016 ATC Ocelot side dinette

http://alvisontheroad.blogspot.com/

#30 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

Just got a call from friends in Vegas. Mod #1 in progress. Also picked up a Garmin in reach. Worth the $$ just for her piece of mind. Thanks for the tip Steve. She has also decided to take the Land Cruiser rather than the Tacoma and camper. She feels more self contained and in control. Not as much stuff to remember or keep up with.

Edited by windy, 17 October 2017 - 03:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users