43 replies to this topic

#31 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:20 PM

Windy, I think you'll both like the InReach. The biggest problem (at least my biggest problem) is disciplining yourself to use it regularly. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not bad.

I am haunted by waters

#32 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

Just got a call from friends in Vegas. Mod #1 in progress. Also picked up a Garmin in reach. Worth the $$ just for her piece of mind. Thanks for the tip Steve. She has also decided to take the Land Cruiser rather than the Tacoma and camper. She feels more self contained and in control. Not as much stuff to remember or keep up with.

Right on! That all sounds great! I look forward to y'alls trip report (and inReach review....)!

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#33 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Interesting thread...

I have concerns when my wife travels alone but I don't see that as sexist ...just a loving spouse. She does the same for me.

Another plus one for the inReach. We used it on our trip to the Canadian Maritime and found it very useful. We are making plans to take it to Africa next year.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#34 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

Eddie...when I go to Africa, Asia (such as PI, VN and other remote locations) I carry my inReach as well.

But I also rent an Iridium 9575 SAT phone.  Plug in all the numbers you need before leaving home, ie., US DoS, DAN (Diver's Alert Network) medical desk and any other applicable/important numbers.  I've rented for 3 separate trips and have yet to ever turn it on.  I consider it cheap insurance.

InReach is limited to texting and depending on the injury, that may prove problematic.  Plus, there may be times the injury is time critical and talking to another human can make all the difference.

I've been a DAN member for nearly 4 decades.  Service goes well beyond diving and diving injuries to include travel and medivac insurance.  More info here if interested.

Edited by Advmoto18, 20 October 2017 - 11:20 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#35 la_morris

la_morris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

I read this thread with interest, both because of the route and because I am a 62 year old women. I acquired my truck and FWC because I usually travel and camp alone or with my dogs. As I grew older, I began to feel more vulnerable tent camping. I felt that the camper provided the extra security I needed to feel safe. I see two sides to this issue. On the one hand, women's actions should not be limited by their gender. I insist upon and embrace the freedom to camp and hike in backcountry, campgrounds and Walmart parking lots. On the other hand, as the #metoo postings once again remind us, sexual assault and sexual harassment of women is a fact of life. For my own self-preservation and protection, I must acknowledge this and be vigilant. Raising daughters, I have struggled to both empower my daughters and to teach them vigilance. It is a difficult balancing act. I, for one, appreciate men who support a woman's independence while also acknowledging the gender-related dangers that we face. 

#36 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

I read this thread with interest, both because of the route and because I am a 62 year old women. I acquired my truck and FWC because I usually travel and camp alone or with my dogs. As I grew older, I began to feel more vulnerable tent camping. I felt that the camper provided the extra security I needed to feel safe. I see two sides to this issue. On the one hand, women's actions should not be limited by their gender. I insist upon and embrace the freedom to camp and hike in backcountry, campgrounds and Walmart parking lots. On the other hand, as the #metoo postings once again remind us, sexual assault and sexual harassment of women is a fact of life. For my own self-preservation and protection, I must acknowledge this and be vigilant. Raising daughters, I have struggled to both empower my daughters and to teach them vigilance. It is a difficult balancing act. I, for one, appreciate men who support a woman's independence while also acknowledging the gender-related dangers that we face. 

<3

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#37 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:54 AM

While we all know there are others experiencing similar circumstances as ourselves, it is always comforting to hear them vocalize their experiences as well. Thank you all.

#38 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:57 AM

It is everyone sharing their experiences that provides motivation to others!

#39 Luckytibbs

Luckytibbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

Well I’m fairly new to this site but have been a solo female traveler for quite a while and I’m 60. I didn’t realize there were so many other solo female adventure seekers as well! Refreshing and exciting. I’ve camped in out of the way places along the border in Southern Arizona to Alaska. Yes. You have to not only be aware of your surroundings because of the terrain but in some because you are female. However I do agree that sometimes I get advice from people who think because I’m a woman I need “special” assistance. I also use an InReach whenever I travel. I would suggest that no matter what gender you are for sure! Love this site. Tons of valuable information.

#40 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Well I’m fairly new to this site but have been a solo female traveler for quite a while and I’m 60. I didn’t realize there were so many other solo female adventure seekers as well! Refreshing and exciting. I’ve camped in out of the way places along the border in Southern Arizona to Alaska. Yes. You have to not only be aware of your surroundings because of the terrain but in some because you are female. However I do agree that sometimes I get advice from people who think because I’m a woman I need “special” assistance. I also use an InReach whenever I travel. I would suggest that no matter what gender you are for sure! Love this site. Tons of valuable information.

Welcome to the site! I agree, the members are great...

I am haunted by waters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users