22 replies to this topic

#1 BWSracing

BWSracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

Hey guys, time for some new batteries and was looking for some advice on quality long lasting brands. I have heard good things about the deka batteries. I Also wanted to move to a slightly larger battery as there is room for the next size up. Thanks for the help.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

Trojan - http://www.trojanbat...ASAAEgJGZvD_BwE

Rolls - http://raysolar.ca/p...ASAAEgJm3vD_BwE

#3 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

I have 2 x Deka 6 volt batteries in my travel trailer and they are great. I also had dual Deka Intimidator's in my old Xterra and they were fantastic. I'm an East Penn power wheelchair battery dealer, so Deka is an easy choice for me....but I wouldn't continue to use them, or give my two thumbs up, if they hadn't been reliable for me.

I'm trying to decide if it;s going to be worthwhile to run a dual battery setup in the Tundra (I don't really think it will be) given the Hawk will have it's own battery source. I ordered our Hawk (still in production) with a single battery (will have the 3-way fridge) but I'll be keeping an eye on my power needs and see if I need to upgrade my battery bank I'll be looking at the Deka brand again.

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

I use a pair of Lifeline 6v 220 A AGM Deep Cycle batteries in the camper.  So far I am happy with them.  

With shipping I paid $299 each for them.

http://lifelinebatte...teries/gpl-4ct/

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 30 October 2017 - 10:14 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#5 VanGoOutdoors

VanGoOutdoors

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, Fl

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:15 AM

I use a pair of Lifeline 6v 220 A AGM Deep Cycle batteries in the camper.  So far I am happy with them.  

With shipping I paid $299 each for them.

http://lifelinebatte...teries/gpl-4ct/

Regards,

Craig

jesus.  440 ah is where its at

2018 Sprinter 144" Wheelbase
Dometic - Tern Overland - Flarespace - Blue Ridge Overland Gear - WARN - Bedslide

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

For $600 for 220ah (ampere hours don't add if the batteries are 6v in series)  I would consider a lithium pack.  You can get nearly the same useable capacity (100Ah) for $800 - $900 (or $250 if you are into DIY)  and it will weigh 1/4 and last 2-3 times longer. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

Rando,

I bought my batteries in July before you posted your do it yourself (DIY) LiFePO4 battery pack thread.   I looked at LiFePO4 batteries at that time but I thought they were just too expensive.  I was already at my comfort limit spending $300 a battery.  At that time the best 12V LiFePO4 battery price I found was over $1000 for 12v 100Ah and a lot more for 220 Ah.   So I went with AGM and their extra weight and shorter expected life (am trying to manage my AGM batteries to stay in the lifetime range of 1000 cycles or more and if successful these batteries may last many years).

However, these suckers weigh 66 lbs each.   I like having the 220 AH capacity available (actually only about 55 AH of which is usable on a routine basis if I want the long life out of them).  We pulled the bank down to about 70% for a short time on our long trip in August/September even with the 200 W of Solar panels.   

My estimates are based on my understanding that It is generally accepted that the most economic and practical depth of discharge (DOD) for an AGM battery is <50%. For Lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4 or LFP) which is the safest of the mainstream Li-ion battery types, <80% DOD is used.  For maximum life (looking at cycles vs DOD curves it appears one should limit the DOD of an AGM to 30% or less on a routine basis.  For a LiFePO4 it appears <50% would put them in a similar place on the lifetime curve.

So a LiFePO4 100 Ah battery bank would give about as much usable capacity as a 160 Ah AGM battery bank but with longer life by about 2.5x (If I understand things correctly).  The weight for a 12v 100AH battery is around 40 pounds.  Even using a 12 V 200 AH LiFePO4 battery the weight is around 60 pounds, so basically about half the weight of AGM (or FLA) batteries.

If one can get a 12v 100AH LiFePO4 battery for about $800 - $900 or less I agree that it is worth considering.  If I were starting over and I could get DIY 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 for under $300 or so that would be a no brainer for me.  Not sure if I would spend as much as $900 for a battery though. It seems to me that prices for 12v LiFePO4 batteries will likely come down in the future as these get widely adopted and more vendors start competing.

Edit 11-12-2017 - See comments #6 and #7 in the following thread for better information on battery life and revised thinking on my part  Also see comment #10 which contains an excellent reference on battery life.

http://www.wanderthe...-list-of-steps/

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 11 November 2017 - 01:17 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

Hey guys, time for some new batteries and was looking for some advice on quality long lasting brands. I have heard good things about the deka batteries. I Also wanted to move to a slightly larger battery as there is room for the next size up. Thanks for the help.

If you have the room and are not shy of FLA, consider 2 X GC2 @ ~ 210 AH that are available for < $90 each.  I am going on my 5th year on these and they are showing no signs of degradation (S.G. still 1.27+).

. . . It seems to me that prices for 12v LiFePO4 batteries will likely come down in the future as these get widely adopted and more vendors start competing . . .

I was hoping the same thing, but with the push in China and EU for electric vehicles demand is going to exceed supply for a while.    Prices will hold steady or rise until new sources of lithium are found (the gating commodity) and manufacturing capacity ramp up exceeds demand increases:

http://euanmearns.co...mand-and-price/

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

I've been very pleased with my Powersonic sealed lead acid deep cycle. It's a commercial storage battery.

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

My understanding was that the 100Ah battle born batteries were $900 for 100Ah and maybe a little less if you gave them a call and asked for a discount.   

They definitely can't compete on $/Ah at all with flooded lead acid, but compared to the higher end AGM batteries, they are starting to get closer if you consider $/usable Ah.   They still don't make sense in a fixed application, but our light weight campers may be an example of an application where they are getting closer to making sense.    

The DIY option definitely makes sense, but it is not a project for everyone. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users