• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

I have a pair of Lifelines but in 12v.. Funny, I paid the same price years ago - was richer back then ;) . They are pushing 8 years old, mounted full time under the truck. One of the features I liked is their ability to be charged rapidly, tolerant of a 1.0 x C charge rate (eg 100amps for 100AH). Just mentioning this in case it's a factor to the OP (?)

About 4.5 years ago I bought a pair of conventional Kirkland Marine/RV. Fairly inexpensive option and they seem to be working just fine. And I had great service from a Kirkland starting batt for the DD car that was replaced preemptively after 10+ years.

#12 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

It was explained to me that the vast majority of batteries are made by a handful of manufacturers. This said I would take advantage of the Costco/Kirkland Brand and take advantage of the great customer service.

#13 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

Ramblinman,

Here is a list of worldwide battery manufacturers (I suspect there are others not listed).

http://www.solar-fac...nufacturers.php

I note that Concord Battery Corporation, manufacturer of Concord and Lifeline batteries, is not listed in that link.  It is a privately held US company based in Covina, CA.

Here is another link the lists brands and corresponding manufacturer.  I note that Concord is listed in this one.  This seems to be a more comprehensive list.  However, Johnson Controls is a notable omission from this list.

http://www.batterysales.com/brands.cfm

Johnson Controls makes batteries under the following brand names:

• VARTA® batteries. Since 1887, VARTA has been a top-choice premium car battery in Europe and has become a benchmark for quality, expertise and precision technology. ...
  • LTH® batteries. ...
  • Heliar batteries. ...
  • MAC® batteries. ...
  • OPTIMA® batteries. ...
  • Delkor ® batteries. ...
  • PowerFrame® technology.

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a privately owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls and others through independent distributors.

I think Kirkland brand may also use batteries made by Johnson Controls.

Edit addendum:  I finally found the comprehensive list of battery brands and manufacturers I stumbled on a few years ago. the author of it has updated the list for 2017:

http://jgdarden.com/...aq/batbrand.htm

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 01 November 2017 - 11:31 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#14 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Ckent323 - Thank you!  :)

#15 BWSracing

BWSracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

Here are the replacements. Attached File  Image1509997520.040100.jpg   329.73K   88 downloads

#16 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

I actually just bought the same Lifeline batteries as Craig: 2 Lifeline six volt 220 ah batteries. They are only a couple of months old but they are working quite well so far. But only time will tell. I figure by the time these need replacement, lithium ion will be mainstream.

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

I'm using the Vmaxtanks. Price was right but with only two seasons on them its too early to give a recommendation though they've performed well so far. Another five years would make me happy. I'd like to go Lithium when I retire. Hopefully the prices drop a bit by then. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

I just replaced the last of my Optima's. I had 4 Blue Top Marine group 34. 1 for the truck and 3 for the boat. These were the US made ones before Johnson Controls bought them and moved production to Mexico.

Mine lasted 8+ years of rough use in a 4x4 that was regularly off roaded and in a bass boat.

But I won't buy another. I read of too many problems with the imported ones. Damn shame.

These were all replaced with Group 24 AGM's from Battery Warehouse.

#19 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

I bought a pair of BlueTop 34's for my boat A few months ago. My vendor said production was moved back to the U.S. due the problems they had been having with the facility in Mexico. So far so good.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#20 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

I bought a single 155 ah 12v Vmaxtank for my new build. It was the largest battery I could fit in my space otherwise would have gone with 2 6v golf cart batteries like I had in my old camper. No problems for but just 1 year in. Will probably go lithium when I replace it down the road to save weight - 93lbs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users