Punching the roof for solar on an 04 Hallmark Ute

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

I have installed multiple solar systems over the years on RVs, but now have a Hallmark and want to do the same. Has anyone here installed solar yourself on a Hallmark. Doing it on a pop-top is a novelty for me and don't want to reinvent the wheel. If you punched your roof to run your cable, where did you punch it?

Thanks,

Steve

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,611 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

Steve, check with Hallmark before you punch a hole. Some builders prewirefor solar!

I am haunted by waters

#3 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Thanks,

I can check, but I have been up on the roof. Nothing there but the AC unit and roof vent. If they prewired it is covered with the roof. 

Steve

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

If it is pre-wired it is likely no larger than 10 ga. wire. Which I consider to be too small for much more than 100W. As it happens that is the default size for the MC4 connectors and I didn't want to re-invent that wheel. If/When I upgrade past our single 100W panel I'll be changing the controller to one that can handle 24VDC+ input voltage and going series rather than parallel with the panels.

I punched a hole in our Phoenix's roof. Phoenix adds a plate under the bolts for any roof rack that might be added later, I drilled thru that as it gave me something secure to bolt a waterproof junction box down to. I "bedded" the box on a ring of 5200 around the hole. Later someone here found & linked  these:

https://www.amazon.c...d=1WJFO5EAJMISV Which I'd really rather have instead.

51qQl5nwz6L._SL1001_.jpg

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,611 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Thanks,

I can check, but I have been up on the roof. Nothing there but the AC unit and roof vent. If they prewired it is covered with the roof. 

Steve

If there it would probably be terminated under the skin. You have to know the location before you drill.

Agreed that 10 Gauge is a bit small for best charging.

I am haunted by waters

#6 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

I understand the impact of size and resistance on amperage. How about more on series versus parallel. I have always done parallel, but I know some folks do series. I understand the difference more voltage makes from series, but how about the real world effect on amperage at the batteries?  Does it really make a difference i.e. has anyone demonstrated one to be better than the other?

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,611 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

I understand the impact of size and resistance on amperage. How about more on series versus parallel. I have always done parallel, but I know some folks do series. I understand the difference more voltage makes from series, but how about the real world effect on amperage at the batteries?  Does it really make a difference i.e. has anyone demonstrated one to be better than the other?

Check this thread... possible answers... http://www.wanderthe...e-solar-thread/

I am haunted by waters

#8 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

Didn't find it, although one thread had series i the title, it never explored the topic. I will search further, thanks.

Steve

#9 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

Hallmark goes through a hole on the side of the Fantastic Fan frame.  We order ours "solar ready" and wires were provided.  I don't remember the details and sold the camper over a year ago.

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

Series vs. parallel, just in case:

W=V*I

Watts

Voltage (V)

Amps (I)

Watts is watts so the Power transferred is the same, but high amps / low(er) voltage needs large cables where higher voltage (within reason) / low(er) current works on std wire.

The hitch is that the solar controller has to be able to intake 24+ VDC and output a 12 VDC charging voltage. Not all can do that.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users