Photo
- - - - -

Bottle jack and air compressor recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for bottle jack and air compressor recommendations - FYI for 2017 Ford 350 w/heavy camper ( and so tall! ). Willing to pay more for a longer lasting, safe jack.

Asking around where I live hasn't yeilded much info, plus the nearby auto parts store had not much at all. So supplier recommendations are also appreciated. I know not to buy Chinese made tools, but haven't narrowed it beyond there.

Thanks a ton!

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,648 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

We went with a Viair 300p compressor. Good reviews, easy to use. Probably made in China, but seems to be good quality.

https://www.walmart....2&wl13=&veh=sem

I am haunted by waters

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

I don't think you will find anything but a Chinese made air compressor at least in terms of 12v compressors,  but that is not necessarily a bad thing.   How often you plan on using it, and how fast you need it to be will determine the size of compressor you get.   I currently have an ARB single compressor mounted under the hood of my Tacoma, primarily for adjusting my air bags, and for changing tire pressure.  It works well, but is not really any better than the MV-50 that I had on my Landcruiser that cost 1/4 the price.   In terms of value, the generic MV50 is really hard to beat, but if you want something faster there are other options that cost much, much more. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

I've been very happy with my MV50 compressor. Best bang for the buck by far.

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000BM8RT8

you can find it much cheaper than this.

For the jack I'd start here.

https://safejacks.com/

#5 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

I second the Safejacks referral above, for their bottle jack accessories.  Many of their parts cost less than it would cost me to make them, except the baseplate, which I did make.

I have a compressor like this one https://www.ebay.com...gkAAOSwA3dYXKjJ

I previously had York A/C compressors used on previous vehicles for compressed air, and found nothing remotely close to their performance (spoiled I guess) and the Puma was the nearest thing I found that runs on 12V.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#6 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

Can’t help with jack. Viair 400p Aitomatic. You might look at the same model -RV designation due to dually.
Can’t help wit jack, xcept to say one with good seals.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:35 PM

I agree that the bottle jack that Ford supplies with their Super Duties is pathetic and I would not use it if possible.
Given that the chance of getting a flat tire on a nice level concrete pad is pretty slim I decided to go with this combination jack and stand...
https://www.amazon.c...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have used it with my camper installed and was very happy with the ease of use and the stability.

As far as portable 12v. Compressors go I purchased this after a good review here on WTW.
https://www.northern...72535_200672535

The only thing I have done to it is replace the 12v. Wire with a longer and heavier gauge wire so that it will now reach to my trailer if need be.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:49 PM

I've had an ARB CKMA-12 compressor for a few years now and it works very well. I have it mounted under the hood, it doesn't seem to take much time at all to air tires back up to highway psi when required.

Edited by trikebubble, 04 December 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#9 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

Another vote for Safe Jacks. I'm not familiar with which bottle jack they are offering, however their bottle jack accessories are awesome.

I think the air compressor choice gets a little tricky. You need to consider your tire size, what psi you run while on pavement and how much you'll be airing down. Your F350 probably is spec'd for 80 psi like my RAM2500. When I had a smaller compressor and was airing down a little to take the edge off on graded gravel roads it worked fine, although a little slow. My first trip to the beach it took 20 minutes per tire to get from 35 to 80 psi. Second time at the beach took them up to 60 psi just to get us home and ended up burning out the compressor. I then installed the ARB Twin 100% duty cycle, 6.61 CFM compressor and I'm so happy I did. Spendy, but no regrets.

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#10 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:22 AM

I also have the Safe Jack kit and think it's great. But I opted for a CO2 can for airing up after washboard/off road, etc. It's fast and lasts a long time. I have it refilled every year or so. The only downside is that the CO2 doesn't keep your tires at spec for more than a few days. On the other hand it's cheap, convenient, fast, and easy.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users