#1 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff Arizona

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:57 AM

After much research and reading. This site is full of great info and ideas. I figured I should show what has come of my figuring. I started working with Bryan at AK Jan 2017 and talked him into making a side door entry flatbed on my F350, It is a 7'X 7' cab over and I loaded it up. Handles great and sooo roomy. Love it. The first one of its kind in the world.AKCamper_Dragoons2_Suzanne.jpg

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:29 AM

Wow ! Thanks for the news. Do tell more if you want to ...

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:30 AM

Now that is pretty nice! More pictures please!

I am haunted by waters

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:49 AM

Very Nice. +2 on the photos. Want to see the inside and all around

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:09 AM

Very nice Ser......they are very accommodating up there....

#3 on the pics...... Please

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#6 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

I had an older truck with 300K miles on it and wanted to start my wandering years with a newer vehicle. So buying a used (like new)9000 miles on a F350- 2016 super cab short bed was the deal that fell into my lap. I like the shorter wheel base of 142" to get around much easier. I went gasoline after asking many diesel mechanics their opinions and wander the west folks chimed in too.They advised the 350 would be good for the payload we wanted on the truck. I didnt want to tow anything. Also less expensive to buy and maintain and maybe finding cleaner diesel could be a problem where we may wander and I am not in a hurry.

Highly recommend people to weigh their vehicles and campers. It is a pleasure to feel the truck can handle the camper and terrain in any conditions. Been getting average 18 MPG with out the camper on truck and 12 MPG with camper on board. I took off the bed sold it and built the flat bed locally with neighbor, put toolboxes underneath.
Total GVW with camper full of gas and 30 gallons of water, solar 2AGM batteries 2 peoples food and gear et al comes to the scales at 9860#. The truck is rated at 11,100 GVW
I shipped the batteries and solar panels to Bryan at AK so they could be mounted on the camper. I hooked up the rest of the components since they only offered a plug n play type of system.

Solar system was built with advice from Handy Bob and others on this site. Trimetric 2030 monitor & charger,2 12V Lifeline 125AH batteries, 2 165W everbright panels.

So far we have been in below freezing temps and 85 degrees and the fridge makes ice and the heater works great. No dewy side panels the insulation is good on the hard sides. Even on cloudy days my batteries haven't gone below 92% yet. So I feel confident several days (4-5) of parking in the clouds I still have amps and recharge quickly. The big windows bring in lots of light and the dining in the rear gives plenty of room for 2/4 folks if you have to be inside. If you have been into camping you know the layout of side entry versus rear and the roominess layout in a smaller space.

On to Inuvik and more

Yes Im excited to have this camper and future adventures off pavement in it. AK campers did a great job building and working with me. The project worked as planned with a few fixes on they way. It is rare to have such a good experience when starting into building something long distance. Communication before the first step building the unit was key. Understanding their process and visiting the factory first helped too.

I will post more interior pics. Sorry I need to figure out linking and/or resizing my shots.AKCamper_Interior_Suzanne-2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• AKCamper Stars_Suzanne.jpg

#7 Anewway

Anewway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

That's a very impressive setup, congratulations!!

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

Congrats on the camper SER. Where do you like to camp.
That should be great in the back country.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

Epic! Thanks for sharing, including the solar use report.

Pics always welcome!

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#10 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

The preliminary floor plan. on left is a dining with 3' wide seats make into a bed and the main floor is open area 4'x 4' which makes it easy to cook, be at sink and others can wander in an out of camper, no bumping in the hallway.output-6-640x480.jpg Attached File  S Romero.pdf   15.29K   218 downloadsoutput-8-640x480.jpg output-5-640x480.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users