#21 hangster

hangster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

I would go to an event in arizona..

I'll look for you, you'll be easy to spot.

Edited by hangster, 14 December 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#22 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff Arizona

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:58 AM

With regards to cost. As we know they rise periodically with all the brands.

The NEW base cost of an Alaskan is about 2000$ more than a Four Wheel. Built quite a bit differently with different standard features. Dry weight comparing the Hawk Flat bed with the 7' AK Flat bed cab over..the AK is about 200# heavier. But the wet weight and adding all the extras changes of course to whatever you add on. I didn't have trouble with the push up panels on my Granby, but some folks did...So, I really like the electric hydraulic lift. It makes a difference. Some people I camp with have old injuries and we may not stay as strong as we get older.

For this new Flat bed I paid a little extra for my special design and build out. But I was able to save in doing some of the work myself.(solar and batteries wiring).

I think this one fits my wants and so far, only having it 2 months and camping in it over 2 weeks,I hope its my last. I know AK campers last and keep value.

#23 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the comments, nice info and link to SA AK camper blog.  A great read.  A little update testing the tilt factor and showing a beautiful trip to Bosque in NM.  We camped near the Refuge on BLM land and it was a bit chilly in the morning (~20F). The solar, heater, insulated curtains, did the job.  No condensation.  It was pleasant waking up turning on the heater from bed and making coffee before daylight in order to see thousands of snow geese and sand hill cranes burst out for their morning flight.

It's now a couple weeks after Bosque trip and the last of the electronic gadget installs was the Morningstar pure sine inverter 300 W. Solid state and no fan noise. I had to mount it upside down in order to fit in the cabinet and so the wires would flow easily to their end spot.  All went well and for the next trip it will be much easier charging the camera equipment.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017_Dec_BosquedelApache-7933.jpg
  • Bosque2018.jpg
  • morningstar.jpg
  • tiltwithpeaks.jpg

#24 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:22 AM

Put me in the fan club as well. Looked at Alaskan campers for a long time, before I went the way I did. Had this been an option, I might have gone in a different direction. Very cool rig you got there.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#25 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

I like too.... :D

nothing tells more about an owner than tidy electrical work....well done....I hate smoke tests...voluntary or involuntary :blink:

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#26 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:03 AM

That's a really fine rig ya got there :) 2nd the nice wiring job :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#27 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Very nice build! I have a few questions if you will.  How is the camper mounted to the flatbed? How are the solar panels mounted? Does the alternator charge the house batteries? How is the storage under the seats accessed? I notice that the overhead storage and the galley drawers do not have a positive latch system, have you found this to be a problem?

Love your choice of Lifeline batteries.

Cheers!

Edited by Captm, 27 January 2018 - 06:56 PM.

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#28 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for the comments and the Lifelines have been doing the job.  It has been 20 degrees a few nights.  Here are some photos to help answer the questions.  AK camper bolted to the flat bed(4- 3/8 bolts) seems to be sturdy enough.  I have been checking them and still tight and staying put after 5k miles on pavement and rough roads mix.  The floor is insulated with 2" foam/plywood. There are 4 strips of wood across the bed spread under the camper floor to let air and water flow out. 

The solar panels are mounted with homemade brackets and it was done at the factory.  I sent my panels up to Bryan so they could mount on studs while building the roof.  The also drilled the hole for me to run the wires to my batteries, which I provided.

The truck alternator does charge the camper batteries when running.  AK has this standard set up with an converter IOTA 45 amp internal IQ4.  It is rare that I even worry about the truck charger the system.  Even on 3 cloudy days and not moving using heater, fridge the batteries haven't gone below 90%.

Storage under the seats have a side hatch and the one that has the hydraulic pump has a front door and side.  Easy peesy and alot of room.  The other under seat has less room because the furnace duct work, propane box fill most of it.  More storage behind the seats when they are in upright position(great for the pillows and snap in blackout warm window curtains).

The overhead drawers have a spring loaded hinge that keeps the doors in the down position.  They are tough and we have not had any problem with them opening. You have to pull them up to open.  Also the bins are bigger than they look. Huge we have more space than we know what to with so far so good.

Attached Thumbnails

• doorunderseathydraulic.jpg
  • furnaceductpropanebox.jpg
  • hydraulicpump.jpg
  • storageunderseatbolt.jpg
  • underseathatch.jpg

#29 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:38 AM

the solar panels and mount pics

Attached Thumbnails

• frontflatbedwithcamp.jpg
  • rearofflatbedwcamp.jpg
  • solarroofjunctbox.jpg
  • rooftop.jpg
  • solarbracketsonroof.jpg

#30 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

Shelf and storage above battery compartment, 110 outlet with on/off switch to inverter, and truck (wires could be bigger, but so far the time to charge hasn't mattered).

Attached Thumbnails

• batteryshelf.jpg
  • underhoodselinoid.jpg
  • 110withswitch.jpg
  • AK11212.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users