51 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

I didn't know what to expect out of this trip. I've never been to Death Valley and you all are just a bunch of strangers from the Internet so this really could have been Death Valley :D

Result: awesome group of people, epic trip in every way. Near perfect weather, great camping, great food, plenty of brew, and endless terrain to explore. This is easily the best trip I have taken. Thanks to everyone who made it!

At our peak we had 10 trucks.

I'm going to post one photo out of order to get this started - Most of the crew:

Posted Image

Pictured: Dick (Camelracer), Carol, Patrick (pvstoy), Ted (Ted), Suni (Sunman), Jessica, Marc (Marc), Pam, Bob (Deltarat), Russ (Lawnmowerman), Aaron (Dirtydog)

Missing: Mike (Simimike), Craig (Craig333)

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

Day 1 (day 2 for me but first day I ran into WTW peeps so I'll start there)

I had camped at an RV park in Minden and started the drive south on 395 in the morning. Not long after the agricultural shakedown station I looked in my rearview mirror and I was being stalked by three FWC campers! I pulled over and met Ted, Craig, and Bob from Sacramento. We drove part of the way to Ballarat together but separated in Bishop as I had to do some shopping.

Sneak attack by the Sacramento boys:
Posted Image

Great views in Lone Pine:
Posted Image

View of Panamint Valley:
Posted Image

The Dirty Dog himself - Diego:
Posted Image

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

Our plan was to meet at Ballarat. Unfortunately when we rolled into Ballarat there was a big group of "Clampers" (some lodge/fraternity type group) raising hell at the Ballarat site. After searching the camp for our boys, I headed south to see if they setup nearby. No luck. I returned to the clamper party and decided to setup there and wait for other members to show up. What a nightmare, this group was loud and very obnoxious. Just as the sun started to go down I looked south and just made out the shape of an illuminated FWC popup window - there's our group! Phew!

Met up with those guys and Sunman and Camelracer joined us as well.

Morning shot at Ballarat:
Posted Image

Moving out - at the Ballarat "store":
Posted Image

Ballarat info:
Posted Image

Ballarat Cemetary
Posted Image

There was also a truck in Ballarat that had belonged to the Manson gang. Check Teds report for a pic of the truck and more Ballarat photos: http://www.wanderthe...read.php?t=1720

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

The days route: Emigrant Pass to Stovepipe Wells to meet the second half of our group. Emigrant Pass is an easy dirt road with some side roads and various points of interest:

Charcoal Kilns:
Posted Image

Eureka Mine:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

More Eureka Mine:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

Aguereberry Point
Posted Image

#7 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

Skidoo Mill:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

We rolled into Stovepipe Wells about 4:00. It was a pretty comical scene. The last four trucks to join us were sitting in the lot when we rolled in triumphantly in six rigs - looking pretty awesome. Then when we got to the parking spots there was some indecision as to how we should park - back in or forwards - and our triumphant arrival turned into a scene from National Lampoons vacation as we all got confused and in eachothers way as we moved back forward, turn around, no forward again....... LOL. Maybe next year we can nail our arrival :D

Stovepipe Wells is a pretty crappy campsite - we'll avoid that next time.

Stovepipe Wells:
Posted Image

Tow Missile Jr:
Posted Image

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

We had been watching the DV morning reports the week prior to the trip and unfortunately almost all of the interesting routes were closed due to snow and ice. The morning after our Stovepipe Wells stay, we were a little bummed at our lack of options when we learned that the new morning report listed Titus Canyon as open - the route that everyone was most keen on doing. Score!

Airing Down:
Posted Image

Titus Canyon:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:28 PM