Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:15 AM

Final chapter to the saga is complete.

Thanks for following along.

Appreciate the comments about carrying a dedicated set of tools in our rigs.

And the intrinsic good in people that comes closer to the surface, as we are reminded how much we depend upon each other.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#32 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

Again, wonderful stuff Andy. So glad to read about good humanity. Hopefully one day we will meet up again out in the wilds.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#33 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hi Lighthawk couple
Thank you for sharing your trip and adventure to SV hot springs area, has been a great read, made so by your gift to put pen to paper. As well as the photographs you took.Those who have visited the area can appreciate the feeling of breaking down ot there. To say it as a remote place just doesn't do it justice. Kudos to those who helped make your return a success.

"The next day we said our goodbyes and dropped the top. It was time to return to civilization, although we couldn’t find more civilized folks than the ones we were leaving. Our drive home was uneventful and we had no more truck issues."

I particularly liked this comment, Happy New Year to you both!

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#34 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Andy your thoughts about the shop not noticing the "missing" bolts due to not wanting to place the truck on a lift

Is possible.

Before out 2016 Alaskan trip I had the truck serviced at the Toyota dealer,one I have used from the time I bought the truck used.They did a full "oil change" service and overall check,but failed to see the torn CV boot.Which to me was very obvious.

I have trust in a shops work BUT I still do a check when I get the truck back.

Not much to do but check things out before trips I guess.

All worked out for you which is good.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#35 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

Happy ending to a good story. I'll second the comments about it being nice to hear about helpful folks going out of their way. The question of what tools to take and what spare parts to bring is one that has befuddled me since I got the camper. I do take a good selection of tools but chances are good I still would not have the one I need. It's a pain moving them from the truck and back. I don't want to have duplicate sets at my age even thought that would be handy. Also- how many different bolts can you reasonably take? I liked your idea of cannibalizing bolts from other less sensitive locations, assuming you could find one to match.

At the end of the day, I think we all are dependent on the kindness and help of others when things go south. I'm glad you had a good experience. Thanks for the report!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#36 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

When you need the tools the money wont' seem like much. Still amazes me people think a camry is an acceptable vehicle for this terrain /boggle. I know its done all the time but....

Good to have all the help you did. Even if they aren't mechanics its good for morale to have someone else nearby.

This doesn't help my love hate relationship with cell phones :)  I'd sure be reluctant to give out my credit card number over the ham radio (but I'd probably risk it). I've debated for a while now whether to purchase a cell phone booster. 

Been meaning to purchase a unit bearing for the truck as I'm now on my third one. Not easy to replace but one manages when one has to!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#37 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

Really got me thinking. I watched a youtube video of the bearing replacement and I see why the shops want so much money to do it. I've thought about the locking hub conversion for my truck before but its expensive. It will also eliminate a weak point and be much easier to service in the field. I think I'm going to take a ride over to S&H and have a chat with the guys.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#38 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:59 PM

Andy, great story. I hope we never experience anything close to what you did. Thanks for sharing and glad all worked out. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 06 January 2018 - 10:00 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#39 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Just finished your great story.What a great group you camped with,

sure made all the truck issues easier to cope with.

Nice to hear your Christmas wasn't spoiled and the food/drinks sounded very tasty.

Thanks Andy for spending the time for a great report and sharing it with all of us.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#40 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:05 AM

Thank you for such a great write up. This is something that will stick with me in those times when things go wrong a long way from nowhere, as they inevitably do. Also makes me want to give the springs another try as the last time I did (maybe 17-18 years ago) we were coming in from a week of just the two of us in the outback and felt a bit of an unwelcome vibe from the regulars. Probably more a reflection of my state of mind than theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users