45 replies to this topic

#31 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:54 AM

I'm thinking we need to have meet up in DV with our resident geologists to guide us. Akin to the Carizzo Plains trip. As with that trip just don't have a quiz afterwards :)

I love having the engineers along to explain stuff. Makes it that much more interesting when they go "uh, I have no idea what that is".

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#32 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

If there is a geologist/anthropologist trip in the future I would love to join if possible. Throw in an astronomer for good measure too.

I always get a kick out of people when I tell them I'm headed to Death Valley and they cringe and say "why?". Truly a magical place and your reports are fantastic.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#33 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Ski, very nice.  This report is very special due to the contributing geological knowledge of our elite members of WTW.  Thanks for a great read.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#34 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

Enjoyed the geology class and Foy's contributions also. Nice photos- I especially like the panoramas and the moon shots. Death Valley has a lot of hidden charm that you folks are good at finding. Thanks for your report! :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#35 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

And a word of caution for those following along on google earth. Make sure you put in death valley. Johnson canyon, ca took me directly to the johnson canyon landfill :(

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#36 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

And a word of caution for those following along on google earth. Make sure you put in death valley. Johnson canyon, ca took me directly to the johnson canyon landfill :(

Find a level spot to camp? :P

Paul

ps. Took me a couple of tries to guesstimate their general camping area.

Edited by PaulT, 12 January 2018 - 06:23 PM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#37 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

Craig I thought that landfill sounded familiar. It's close to my home where the old "Fat City" feed lot used to be.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#38 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,342 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

Everyone, thank you for the nice comments. Both of us appreciate it!

A big thank you to Alley-Kat and Foy (and many others!) who add their expertise to fill in our knowledge of these wondrous places we love to visit! :)

Oh, and a couple of others who help with my very rusty spanish.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#39 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

Did someone mention needing an anthropologist? Sure enjoyed all those pictures Ski and all  that great dialog! Great TR gang. Boy we sure are a bunch of smart fellows and gals ^_^ !!!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#40 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,342 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

Did someone mention needing an anthropologist? Sure enjoyed all those pictures Ski and all  that great dialog! Great TR gang. Boy we sure are a bunch of smart fellows and gals ^_^ !!!

Smoke

Mr. Smoke, thank you for the kind comments. Someday we'll have to start in depth poking around that special northwest chunk of Nevada you know about. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users