• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#51 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:33 AM

Continued from above.....

With the Sliders left to cure it's time to move on to modifying the battery tray to accept the Blue Sea ACR.   Pelfreybilt Stainless battery tray.

P2180022-X3.jpg

The ACR (Automatic Combining Relay) set in place on top of the battery mounting strap.  The ACR will automatically tie the two batteries together as soon as either battery starts to receive a charge, it will automatically disconnect the two batteries if the voltage starts to drop on one battery.  You can also manually combine the two batteries to provide extra power/capacity for winching applications or to jump start the truck battery off the Aux battery.  I'll modify the stock harness to extend it over to the smaller passenger side battery.  The larger battery will be connected to the winch and the Four Wheel Camper on the back of the truck.  The FWC has two of it's own deep cycle batteries giving 3 total batteries available to the camper to run the furnace and ARB Fridge.  Once I install the Solar system on the camper the solar charge controller will keep all 4 batteries charged through the combiner.

P2180023-X3.jpg

Using a transfer punch to mark the hole locations on the battery strap, a slight tap with a hammer makes a nice mark that I will deepen before drilling with another center punch once it's removed from the battery. 

P2180024-X3.jpg

P2180026-X3.jpg

Drilling out the marked hole locations.

P2180028-X3.jpg

P2180031-X3.jpg

Next up making some studs out of 4 bolts, cut the heads off the bolts with the Porta-Band and they are ready to install.

P2180032-X3.jpg

P2180033-X3.jpg

Time to weld the studs into the holes.  I set the studs just below flush then used the Tig torch to make a flush weld so it won't interfere with the battery when mounted.

P2180039-X3.jpg

P2180042-X3.jpg

P2180043-X3.jpg

P2180045-X3.jpg

And mounted back on the truck.  I need to pick up some metric lock nuts to match the studs.  Hope to be wiring up the ACR soon.

P2180046-X3.jpg

P2180048-X3.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

#52 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:00 AM

Hey, excellent work here.  Regarding that ACR... are you using it to combine the two truck batteries when needed or to combine the truck to camper batteries?  From your description, it sounded like you are doing both.  Don't you need TWO ACR's then?

#53 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:05 AM

Hey, excellent work here.  Regarding that ACR... are you using it to combine the two truck batteries when needed or to combine the truck to camper batteries?  From your description, it sounded like you are doing both.  Don't you need TWO ACR's then?

Thanks.  Planning on using it for both.  I may jumper around the ACR built into the FWC and allow the two batts in the camper to be common with my Aux batt, then allow the ACR under the hood to separate the 3 batts from the truck battery.  Should work nicely with one ACR....unless I'm missing something. 

Hodakaguy

Edited by Hodakaguy, 19 February 2018 - 05:12 AM.

#54 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:28 AM

Thanks.  Planning on using it for both.  I may jumper around the ACR built into the FWC and allow the two batts in the camper to be common with my Aux batt, then allow the ACR under the hood to separate the 3 batts from the truck battery.  Should work nicely with one ACR....unless I'm missing something. 

Hodakaguy

It would make sense to treat the 3 aux/camper batts as a "house" battery bank, since they function very differently than the starting battery.  Are they of similar chemistry/make?  As in all AGM by the same manufacturer?

#55 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:29 AM

I'

It would make sense to treat the 3 aux/camper batts as a "house" battery bank, since they function very differently than the starting battery.  Are they of similar chemistry/make?  As in all AGM by the same manufacturer?

Similar AGM...two different makes. 

Hodakaguy

#56 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

Thinking about it a bit more the length of wire run between the truck aux battery and the camper batteries may make enough of a voltage difference to throw off the ACR.  I'll have to do some experimenting. 

Hodakaguy

#57 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:35 PM

that can be a factor.  I put my ACR right next to my Camper batteries for that reason.  What size wiring are you running from truck to camper?  I have 2g, 25' runs (so 50' total wire).  I see about .3v drop at 80A.

#58 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

Awesome work. So great to have this a water/son project. Sure has been fun to follow the double build. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#59 coloradoclimber97

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:34 AM

Hey Hodakaguy, I have enjoyed following your build - thanks for taking the time to publish.  I have an 09 Tacoma that I am going to modify with the BP51's and Dakar AAL like you installed, with an eye toward a FWC this spring.  I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on who I should purchase the suspension from?  My plan is to do the work myself. but admittedly, I don't have your skill set and am probably way over my head but am to stubborn to pay someone else to do it ;-).

Mark

#60 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

How does your truck ride vs. your dads with the suspension set ups? Pretty harsh?

When do you expect to pick up your camper?

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tacoma, FWC, Hodakaguy, OME, BP51, Dakar, FIrestone, Airbags, Daystar, Cradles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users