• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

As I continue my search I'm wondering if I decide on a hawk or grandby for a rig could I pick it up on one of those 1000# utility trailers like sold at harbor freight: http://www.harborfre...temnumber=42709 ? I've got one and I could easily just install some eye bolts in the decking to attach the camper (and could back it up with some ratchet straps). I'm talking longer distance pick up potential, short distance I'd just go for it. :P This comes up because I've currently got a 99' ranger and am waiting to get a different truck till I decide on a camper.

Assuming we're kosher on the trailer do you think it should be mounted facing forward or backward? IE. do you think it its facing forward the wind would be wanting to lift the front overhand the whole time?

#2 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

If it was me I would get the truck first, then you would at least you would know what model of camper you're looking for, no offence, but I would'nt put my camper on any trailer that came from Harbour Freight.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

If it was me I would get the truck first, then you would at least you would know what model of camper you're looking for, no offence, but I would'nt put my camper on any trailer that came from Harbour Freight.

On the truck front I'm generally open minded on whether I get a mid or fullsize truck. When I was getting some dimensions off a truck on a car lot I had a sales guys say the same thing about getting a truck first, my reply was "there are thousands of trucks for sale all over and I can take my pick of whatever I want, unfortunately I can't say the same for the camper I'm looking for."

The trailer isn't actually from harbor freight but its that type of trailer. I've had 800lbs of railroad ties on it for 100+miles but those had a low CG and they were only railroad ties...

#4 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

I think this is what I meant to say, unless you plan to live in the camper, you're going to spend much more time in the truck. Full size, mid size, think carefully about how you're going to use the truck aside from hauling a camper. I looked for my camper for about a year,was about to give up and buy a new one and one poped up, 02 Granby slept in 5 times, 6900. From what I've picked up on this site, most everybody would like to have more room, so I think I'd be looking for a Granby, and a full size truck, but why go to a dealer, I'm sure that right now the best deal will be found from a private party. I hope this helps. Most important, take your time.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#5 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

Greetings, Decide what you need your truck for, then buy your Camper. I've seen several Truck Campers mounted on Trailers and they don't look stable for towing in highway enviornments. Maybe ok for one time seasonal moves. A couple of my Redneck Buddies do that for their Deer Camp outfits.

Trailers pull best with managed Tongue weight, noting the Forward Bed extension on Truck Campers " What a Wonderful Wing " to catch air.

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

I hear what you're saying on a lot of time in the truck part. My truck requirements are newer/less miles, 4x4 to get me out to slopes easier, and the ability to haul household crap around. I'll be going from an X-cab ranger that has suited me fine to something else (so its not like I'm used to a 3/4ton and am down sizing, haha). Mainly looking for some more interior space and potentially a bit more payload. If I go mid size it'll probably be a Dakota or Tundra (smaller body style) 4 seater. Full size I'll likely go ram 1500 or f150. I've looked at all these trucks, each has some pro's and cons but depending I'll be content with any. So since I have that large spectrum of available vehicles I'm letting the camper do a bit of guiding. Not buying new so I won't be necessarily talking to a dealer, I was just at a lot getting dimensions, no buying intent. :D I'll go to whoever will give me a good deal. With current times lots are hurting and the resale value of used vehicles has fallen some so they may be more willing to take a hit compared to a private party that is having difficulty coming to terms that their purchase has eroded in more value than they think it should have... We'll see when I go buy.

On one hand the grandby has some appeal but I haven't totally embraced the rear overhang aspect and I don't really want a long bed I'm thinking. However if one falls into my lap I won't shrug it off. :D I think with some interior customization I can me any model work for me (eagle, ranger, hawk, grandby).

Ah that take your time part... So easier said than done. But I have held off pulling the trigger on a few that didn't feel right for me so I do have some control.

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Greetings, Decide what you need your truck for, then buy your Camper. I've seen several Truck Campers mounted on Trailers and they don't look stable for towing in highway enviornments. Maybe ok for one time seasonal moves. A couple of my Redneck Buddies do that for their Deer Camp outfits.

Trailers pull best with managed Tongue weight, noting the Forward Bed extension on Truck Campers " What a Wonderful Wing " to catch air.

Oh I'm not planning to always trailer it, I'll get a truck that suits the camper, I was just talking for pick up purposes. Didn't know if it would be an awkward load to trailer one on a small trailer for some distance... I suppose my hesitation should be clue enough.

Yeah that is where I was thinking trailering one backwards might be a smarter approach.

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hey Pods just do what Salty does. Get a dozen assorted trucks and as many campers.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

You got me thinking, maybe thats why my all my friends refer to me as MATTER DADDY

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hey Pods just do what Salty does. Get a dozen assorted trucks and as many campers.

I'll go get my lotto ticket tonight... haha.

On another note I do have some temptation just to pick up a Ram 1500 and adapt whatever camper I get to it (even if its an eagle/ranger), but I haven't fully committed to that mentally yet. Wanting to see what b team ended up concocting for his eagle. I figure I could work in some decent bed storage (under/around perhaps moving somethings like battery and water storage outboard) in a scenario like that and the lack of side overhang would make visibility a breeze.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users