• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

I'm no stranger to Toyota's, this is the second Tacoma,I've had a 4Runner, and I don't know how many pickups the first was a 71 I think. The new one gets mixed reviews from me, a small gripe is the storage box between the seats, some designer genus decided to put the release on the left side instead of the front, so now my elbow opens the thing 4 or 5 times a day,stupid. I've got 1200mi on the truck, and I'm still wondering what gear I'm in,I've spent some time in race cars,I know how to shift, but I'm lost with this trans. I ordered the short shift kit, hopefully it will help. The old 5sp. was much better. Another problem is the 4.0 motor has an electronic controlled throttle that won't shed rpms, they tell me it's to protect the auto tran. from over torque load, I have a 6 speed,I hate it. But the thing is long on torque for a small v6, and I know you can crank some really big numbers with the new water cooled blower, and some altered cam timing, so stand by, the project is about to start, susp. comes first, I decided I'll post the whole process.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#2 abeaudin

abeaudin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

newbie to the group but an owner of an 09 tacoma. The 2.7liter 4 Cyl is no better from an Electronic Controlled Throttle - it drove me bananas but only seems to be bad between 4th and 5th gear.

And my tacoma shifts like a donkey normally (my old 1989 toyota pickup was tons smoother) and in the cold (here in Canada) I really have to let it warm up.

And I fully concur with the center storage unit.

#3 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

Welcome to the forum, stay around we have a lot of fun BSn each other,you can watch what I turn this wimpy Toyota into.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:10 AM

Welcome to the forum, stay around we have a lot of fun BSn each other,you can watch what I turn this wimpy Toyota into.

Maybe you can even turn it into a Ford :D

#5 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:20 AM

At least that's our plan, as it stands right now the interiors are almost identical, thanks to WetOkole', you'll see, it will probably be done when you get here. By the way, there a lot of things that I do like about it.

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:22 AM

I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser. I dig it.

#7 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

In the worst way was a new 500hp Mustang, but where I live it makes no sense, and with these two muts I have it made even less sense, so will take this Toyota and boost er' up, we can get 355hp out of this thing and still have good drivability, and around town manners, and we know we can make this truck handle much better, I like the FJ a lot, the're to small for me.

#8 davidshourd

davidshourd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:15 AM

I have an 07' Nissan Frontier, I had the same feelings about the trany/engine. I ended up getting "superchip", chcekc superchips.com. it has all sorts of functions that will mod what you are looking for from the computer. rev limiter, tow mode, perf. mode, timing adjust, list goes on. Bottom line is I am pulling the eagle cap camper and 2 snow mobiles in 6th gear rarly shifting to 5th up passes.

#9 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:25 AM

I have an 07' Nissan Frontier, I had the same feelings about the trany/engine. I ended up getting "superchip", chcekc superchips.com. it has all sorts of functions that will mod what you are looking for from the computer. rev limiter, tow mode, perf. mode, timing adjust, list goes on. Bottom line is I am pulling the eagle cap camper and 2 snow mobiles in 6th gear rarly shifting to 5th up passes.

Stay tuned, under the hood is where I'm going next. This will be an honest no BS 350hp Tacoma, and one with good manners as well.

#10 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:08 AM

I've had two FJ40s. A stock '69 6 banger that was simply a stud and a '75 with a Chevy 350. It was a great 4by... except the hi revving 350 destroyed the stock tranny.... OUCH:eek:

I currently have an '02 Tundra.. Limited.. with everything... I LOVE this truck. I've said before that after a Ford pickup, Chevy Blazer, GMC CamperSpecial and the aforementioned Land Crushers... the Tundra is the best one.. by far.

No complaints.
Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users