• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

I used to use the dry ice stuff in my rv and that helps when your not in there but you still see moisture when your in the camper over night.

Do you mean painters desiccant? Or were you actually using blocks of dry ice (ie really cold solid CO2 which is an ice substitute)? :confused:

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,037 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

I'm not sure why a propane heater would add moisture? Can someone fill me in on that? Seems counterintuitive.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

I'm not sure why a propane heater would add moisture? Can someone fill me in on that? Seems counterintuitive.

I'll take a guess: heated air holds more water content. When it cools, it condensates. Have no idea why a diesel heater would be better though.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#14 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

I too am concerned about Propane Heaters at night. I have always turned them off. I takes about 5 to 10 miniutes to warm up everything via Propane in the morning. I will run an electric Ceramic heater if on the 120V grid.

25 degree nights make that Mummy Sleeping bag very welcome. I've been delivering my wife coffee each morning for 38 years. I'm still the first up when we camp.

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

#15 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

I'll take a guess: heated air holds more water content. When it cools, it condensates. Have no idea why a diesel heater would be better though.

Propane has a very high disolved water content,the burn is incomplete, your left with the water, Diesel fuel, disolved water content much lower, a more complete burn, no water. SIMPLE EH'
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#16 JaneS

JaneS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Someone mentioned a ceramic heater with a fan and I think I'll give that a try since there'll be electric power where I'll be next week. My dad had a FWC for about 20 years (which is how I got hooked) and he sometimes took a little ceramic heater with him camping where there was power. I never asked him about it but maybe it was for condensation. He lived in central Oregon though, so he would have had more "dry cold" than "wet cold" conditions for winter camping.

#17 JaneS

JaneS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

Are you running the stock propane heater or a stand alone?

It's one I had installed after I bought the camper. It's mounted right under the refridgerator.

#18 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:19 AM

Biggest thing is airflow and positive pressure. I have a hard sided camper and in the cold it gets some moisture on the walls and roof, especially in the cab over sleeper. Reason is that you are breathing in air, and exhaling air and moisture. I found that running the furnace works, opening the windows next to my head and the roof vents work, along with using the furnace. As for Propane vs Diesel, the Diesel heater heat chamber retains heat longer than the propane, so a propane cycles on and off with more cooldown time, and on the off cycle attacts moisture to the cooling heat chamber, then when it heats up the moisture vaporizes and travels through the air and condenses in the cooler areas of the camper.

Best thing is to wipe down the walls and ceiling in the morning, run the furnace as hot as you can get it to remove the moisture.

Best thing is to open upper windows and vents, and have the heater running.

Good luck
Fly Fishing the North East, New England, and Eventually the world.

#19 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:47 AM

Also being from Seattle area; but camping in many other northern wet locations I have not found a solution. I just take a rag and wipe down the walls and ceiling. Oh...well....
Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#20 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Propane has a very high disolved water content,the burn is incomplete, your left with the water, Diesel fuel, disolved water content much lower, a more complete burn, no water. SIMPLE EH'

but the combustion area is not exposed to the interior of the camper. its like a home furnace. there is a heat exchanger.

no combustion byproducts enter the camper.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users