Photo
- - - - -

New Swift Camper, Mods, Upgrades Etc......Pic Heavy.

swift fwc four wheel camper Tacoma Toyota

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Dphillip

Dphillip

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOmaha Nebraska

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

Awesome setup!

Like you we ordered our Hawk without the refrigerator or ice box and use a portable Truckfrige.The storage space where the ice box/fridge should be is invaluable. My wife has claimed that space as her own.

Enjoy!
Omaha Nebraska

#42 kestrel69

kestrel69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPort Townsend WA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for those photos.  As someone mentioned in a previous post, you should be taking the photos for FWC.  I did see that DasMule is a new distributor.  The day of their Open House (4/7) is the day I will be having my Swift installed in Bozeman, otherwise I was planning to attend.

I hadn't thought about the storage space above the heater unit.....that might have resulted in a different decision about the stove.  I did opt for the flush mounted stove, so I can still use that top counter space for storage. 

I am expecting to have my camper off the truck about 50% of the time......what do you think about how difficult it is to reach the turnbuckles through those ports under the couch? 

As for shout outs....same goes for you if you ever find yourself wandering around the Olympic peninsula.

Again, thanks for those great photos!!

#43 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:17 AM

Thanks, if you want any specific pics taken just let me know. 

Hodakaguy

I am really torn between the Eezi-Awn and Alu-Cab. I really like how the Eezi-Awn covers the whole rear door but the Alu-Cab seems stronger. I have a couple quick questions on the Eezi-Awn if you don't mind. Is your Eezi-Awn the "silver" color? In the FWC video, it appears that the hinge has quite a bit of stress on it. Does the hinge seem to deflect or sag a bit when you open the awning? 

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#44 Rob85

Rob85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:49 AM

Awesome!! I have a 2016 swift here in Socal and when I had mine installed at American RV in Azusa Ca, where it took them eight hours. They were horrible!!! Apparently they went out of business and FWC does not have a Socal dealer at the moment. Your rig looks nice, and I need to get the bat wing awning.

#45 Kali

Kali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:46 PM

My father and I left at 2am Sunday morning from Kennewick WA and by 5pm we were sitting in front of Four Wheel Campers in Woodland CA.  After this picture we headed off to the hotel to get dinner and some rest.

IMG_0313-X3.jpg

Monday morning at 8am we were back at FWC and ready to install the camper.  Here they pulled my truck around the back and we are waiting for them to take us back to the install area, checking out all the cool pics.

IMG_0320-X3.jpg

IMG_0321-X3.jpg

While they were fetching our camper we checked out the showroom and got our first glimpse of a Swift model....lots more room than we were expecting!

P3050002-X3.jpg

P3050010-X3.jpg

Their small demo model showing the welded aluminum construction.

P3050003-X3.jpg

Here comes our camper :-)

P3050017-X3.jpg

Normally you would bolt on 4 manual camper jacks to install the camper, to speed things up they used an old fashioned 2 post lift and transferred the camper directly from the fork lift.  The camper is attached to the truck via 4 turn buckles that are hidden in the bed, the turn buckles are accessed via the 4 trap doors on the FWC.

P3050018-X3.jpg

P3050021-X3.jpg

Checking out a load of campers heading out to a dealer.

P3050027-X3.jpg

And installed.  Install takes about 15 minutes.  I had the wiring per-installed before showing up.

P3050035-X3.jpg

Filled the air bags, adjusted the tire pressures and adjusted the suspension.  I've been running the shocks on #1 compression and 4 Rebound when empty, re-adjusted all 4 corners to #7 compression and #6 Rebound.  Having the shocks stiff worked great on the trip home, the road manners were awesome and there was Very little body roll while weaving through the mountain passes.

P3050038-X3.jpg

Dad checking out the interior.   We ordered the shell model which is minus the sink and cook stove.  The full kitchen model takes up a lot of space and weights a good chunk more, we found that we rarely used the water system and prefer the light weight setup of the shell models.  I carry ultra light backpacking gear for cooking etc.

P3050037-X3.jpg

Just as we were leaving FWC they pulled out another Tacoma getting a camper installed the same day....had to pull over for a picture :-)

IMG_0327-X3.jpg

Pulled over to get a shot of Mt Shasta and the cinder cone in the Background.

P3050063-X3.jpg

P3050066-X3.jpg

P3050069-X3.jpg

Stopped in Grants Pass OR for a IN-N-Out Burger....Yummmm.

IMG_0337-X3.jpg

About 8:30 we pulled over at a truck stop for the night....home sweet home. Not the most ideal spot but it's right off the highway and free!

IMG_0339-X3.jpg

Stopped at StoneHenge this morning on the final leg home.

P3060073-X3.jpg

Continued Below.....

I noticed that other Taco parked next to yours is a Woolrich Editon....those look soooo nice with the smooth aluminum. I asked FWC if they could do that for regular production,  but they said no can do. Too bad because smooth aluminum in Silver Spur would be a great combination.

#46 Kali

Kali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Testing the ARB fridge for fit in the camper. The ledge in the shell model is a perfect fit for the ARB!

P3080133-X3.jpg

ARB Compressor Fridge/Freezer. These units are awesome, very efficient and keeps items cold or frozen if needed. You also loose less cool air when you open the lid compared to a standard fridge with the door on the side.

P3080134-X3.jpg

This is the area in the camper where the stove and sink would be if you ordered the full camper model. Since we ordered the Shell model the kitchen was left out and this empty bench is left. The ARB makes a better fridge and we found we didn't use the water system in our VW Syncro so the shell model works perfect for us. I will use backpack camping gear for cooking etc.

P3080138-X3.jpg

And fridge in place. Fit's perfectly on the shelf. I will make a tie down attachment point to anchor the fridge in place.

P3080140-X3.jpg

P3080141-X3.jpg

P3080144-X3.jpg

Hodakaguy

What size ARB fridge did you go with...50QT ? They seem pricey, but probably well worth it. Which vendor did you get yours from?

#47 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:18 PM

What size ARB fridge did you go with...50QT ? They seem pricey, but probably well worth it. Which vendor did you get yours from?

I got the 37qt unit on a super good clearance deal from REI.  Was $400 brand new and got the cover free since it was on promotion!  The 37 fits perfect in the Swift Shell. 

Hodakaguy

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

#48 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:19 PM

I noticed that other Taco parked next to yours is a Woolrich Editon....those look soooo nice with the smooth aluminum. I asked FWC if they could do that for regular production,  but they said no can do. Too bad because smooth aluminum in Silver Spur would be a great combination.

Yeah it did look very nice....not worth what they are wanting for a Woolrich edition though :-)

Hodakaguy

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

#49 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

Love the photos. I have a Swift shell coming soon for my Nissan Frontier, with almost the exact features in your FWC. Didn't get the Silver Spur exterior.....looking at your photos I kind of wish I had. Since the propane line was already being put in for the heater figured I would get the two burner stove. Those photos have me itching to pick mine up. I'm headed out to Bozeman.

Any chance you could post some photos of the storage space under the couch?

Look forward to some trip reports, and maybe I'll run into you sometime out here in the PNW.

How far out is the pickup date? You can ask for a change order.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#50 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:55 AM

ARBs are worth every single penny!  Best mod i have done hands down.  Insanely efficient compared to most!

Running solely on a 100 watt panel, and a Odyssey PC2150, i havent shut my ARB off in well over a year and the battery is always tip top!

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swift, fwc, four wheel camper, Tacoma, Toyota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users