14 replies to this topic

#1 mattiedog

mattiedog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationidaho

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:38 AM

I have read the discussions regarding upgraded springs versus airbags.   We are being guided toward springs through Boise SpringWorks.  But what if the camper was not on the truck (Ford F 150 4x4) year round?  And the time it was not on the truck is probably going to be winter when we need to ensure we can deal with snow and ice (Idaho).   Any experience or advice here?  

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

Does the truck have over-load leaves that are above the main spring-pack or below it?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 mattig

mattig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

The spring place is guiding you toward springs, eh?!

I'm guessing your best answers here will depend on the model of camper.  

#4 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

I had a 1st gen Tundra and a Hawk. I went to Deaver in LA area and had custom spring pack made to get the level up and not flatten the springs. I always kept the camper on. Was great. When I sold it however the spring pack beat me to death. I took the pack off put the originals back on and sold the spring pack in no time. On my new Dodge 2500 I decided against a spring pack and put on Firestone air bags. They have worked for years and when the camper is off (rarely) I just air down the bags to a few pounds. I used the bags with the Hawk and when I sold it and went to a Lance 650 the air bags were just as good. Just aired up more. Air bags can be helpful as well when the truck camper is off and you are picking up a big load of topsoil that can turn you into a low-rider. That's my two-bits.

https://keithbarnes....eon/i-jb5DR5h/A

https://keithbarnes....016/i-CC6Txr5/A

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#5 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

Iv'e been looking at these. Might be just what your looking for.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/stableload

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#6 wi_hawk

wi_hawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGB, WI

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:32 PM

I had coil over shocks.  Did alright till the shock part doesn't shock anymore.  Went with "AirLift" air bags and wish I had done this when I bought the Hawk in 2010.  Installed them myself in one afternoon.  Nice that they can be adjusted.  BTW the set was purchased from SD Trucks, about $250. 

#7 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

I second what DOROCKS says.

If the truck is being driven without the camper often, the Firestone bags would be a lot more flexible than stiffer springs that beat you to death when unloaded.

Air up when camper is on, air down when camper is off, win win.

This is now my third truck with the Firestone bags and i have never had a single issue, and i admittedly abuse my vehicles.

I installed the valves to fill and empty in the top 2 license plate holes.  Cant even tell they are there.

NOTE: I run all the airbags manual, and fill with a simple bicycle pump.  I want the system simple and dont use an onboard compressor and such like some do.

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 30 March 2018 - 01:24 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#8 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

X2 So Cal.  I have run with springs and airbags and with air bags.  Camper on all the time springs are great.  I take mine off for the winter and springs were awful then but air down air bags work fine.  I have a compressor I use for tires and airbags which works great for leveling in camp using the bags.  Never have had a problem with the bags in a lot of miles over very mixed terrain.  Either way you go upgraded shocks on the rear are also worth looking at.

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

Another happy camper here with air bags, in my case Air Lift.

One thing that you can compensate for with air bags is the typical overweighting of the left side of many campers by just adding a few more pounds to that side.

Edited by smlobx, 30 March 2018 - 08:55 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

Agree with SMLOBX...

I have Air Lift bags as well.

If you go with new spring packs, you're going to have to compromise between carrying the camper load and when camper not in the bed.  You have to decide which is more important and lean that way as they design the spring packs for your truck.

I have been contemplating replacing the rear leaf packs on my F-350 with Deaver springs.  I'm looking for a more ride compliant setup.  Ford factory springs are thick and stiff and will loosen the fillings in your teeth on a wash board road.  My camper is in the bed 24/7/365.  I use the Air Lift springs to level the ride with the camper in the bed (~40psi).  At times I pull a Wells Cargo moto trailer and up the psi to 80 to level the load.  If I go with new Deaver spring packs, they will be load designed for camper in the bed.  I will then use 5 psi in the air bags (Air Lift min recommendation at all times) and 40 psi with the trailer connected.

Custom spring packs with more, thinner leaves helps reduce a jarring ride.  Further, they can be designed to eliminate the blocks between the axle and spring pack and thus greatly eliminate axle warp.  Ford builds just a few spring packs based on payload option and varies the height of the axle block to achieve ride height;  2" blocks on F-250 and 4" blocks on F-350 (2016 and earlier models, not sure about 2017+).

Edited by Advmoto18, 01 April 2018 - 12:46 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspensionen, helper springs, airbags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users