• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

I have a vent cover over the vent near my bed that allows me to open the vent without snow blowing in. Less than $30 at Walmart or an RV store.

I use a snow rake and a collapsible 5 foot step ladder than folds like a regular step ladder and then folds again due to steps that are hinged in the middle.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#42 Randonneur

Randonneur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 12:53 AM

Thanks DanoT. I found the vent covers you mentioned on Campingworld. Still working on getting a light weight ladder of some kind. I may just get the steps you can get through FWC that attach onto the side of the camper.

#43 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:38 AM

OK, here's a thought - maybe not a good one.

Often if I want to take quick nap in my Hawk, I'll raise only the rear half and sleep on the couch.  Gives me enough room to move around and is a bit quicker.  Never had a problem keeping it up (maybe a different issue?), the roof seems quite stable this way.

So, what if you're expecting heavy snowfall over night and you lower the rear half just before climbing into the bunk for the night?  Snow slides off the roof during the night and you can still exit the camper if needed as long as you remember to kinda hunker down as you head for the door.

Crazy or not?

Edited by PJorgen, 20 December 2018 - 01:41 AM.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#44 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:53 AM

Here is the ladder that I am talking about, only mine is 5 feet. Pricey but worth it because it breaks down to a 4X4 post in size by 6 feet long.

https://www.amazon.c...972730047&psc=1

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#45 Randonneur

Randonneur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:59 AM

Thanks PJorgen and DanoT. I have seen the idea of having just the front raised and tried that but the wet snow we have here in the PNW still sticks at that angle-- I didn't measure it, but it seems to me that it is around 30-35 degrees. I also assume that any engineering done by FWC was for both supports in place so I would always worry in the middle of the night if I was going to wake up with a roof collapsing in my face! Maybe spraying the surface with RainX first might help? When snowfalls are limited or not predicted to be significant I just leave it up at this point. 

I saw the ladder you mentioned, DanoT. I may consider that. Thanks.

#46 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:19 PM

I have this ladder.  Works great and I store it in the rear of the cab. I even find myself using it around home too on occasion.  

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#47 Randonneur

Randonneur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

Thanks TrapperMike-- I saw this ladder on my searches too. One thing I could do on mine would be to lean it against the awning so that it doesn't damage the lip of the roof. Can you also use this partially extended to climb up into the camper so that I don't have to bring more than one ladder?

#48 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

Posted Today, 09:51 AM

Thanks TrapperMike-- I saw this ladder on my searches too. One thing I could do on mine would be to lean it against the awning so that it doesn't damage the lip of the roof. Can you also use this partially extended to climb up into the camper so that I don't have to bring more than one ladder?

It can be used partially extended, but I don't think it would work well for getting into the camper.  I use the Rubbermaid folding step stool for that.

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#49 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

My two pennies,

I bring a ladder like TM with me always in the cab. In the winter, if snow is forecast I set my alarm every two hours or so. if needed, I climb up and sweep the roof off. Will be adding some blocks to reinforce the sides, my roof is a little longer than standard, but feel like this is mostly for peace of mind. 

Not worried about getting up and down, because well its part of the experience or camping in a glorified tent in the winter.

BTW, I mostly camp in the rockies during the winter but do manage a few nights out in the cascades.

Worst case would be to sleep down on the floor,(no bench or dinette) and I will do that if I am just catching a few zzzz's.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#50 Randonneur

Randonneur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

Wango- thanks. I guess all said and done it is a glorified tent... had my share of that and thought I had finally upgraded. Oh well, basically the same drill then...get up every hour or so during a storm and dig to prevent the tent/camper from collapsing. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users