16 replies to this topic

#11 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

Do you realize the task you have left to us mere mortals??? Lord knows DD and I did our best to cull the overpopulated beer herds while in Death Valley. And single handedly I have probably destroyed armies of wine bottles. I understand your need to step away from the fight. We shall do our best to carry on without you.

Sorry 'bout that, Ted. I did my best to dent the supply while I was at it...

Ahhh...but I've not *completely* stepped away from the fight...

I just changed my drug of choice.

OK...so who needs a Twinkie?

sorry 'bout the hijack bobg....Get us back on track here...

Did ya try to fix that roof yet?

mtn

#12 jthart

jthart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

I'm curious to see if you are able to get this reasonably straight. My camper has almost the same configuration on the other side. The previous owner lent it out and it was returned that way, its bugged me ever since I've had it! Please post the solution and results of your fix. I try and stay away from anything mechanical whenever I get close to Tequila!

#13 bobg333

bobg333

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

I'm still in Mexico so I haven't had a chance to try to fix. Will be sure to give a complete report.

We just got in from the deep boonies west of Loreto. No cantinas out there so I stayed pretty much on crooked and narrow. Had quite an experience on the road (northeast) to Comondu. Will report on that too when time allows.

Hasta luego, Bob

Former Grandby owner

#14 zana

zana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationProvo, UT

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:54 AM

The same thing happen to me... :-(

Did you fix the roof? How did you do it? Thanks!

#15 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:25 AM

That will buff out. :blink:

I backed out of my side RV pad with the top up (2002 Hawk). Hit the Hawk back roof with the 2x6 on the roof of my house. It was sharper and a deeper bend than you have. I also bent the hinge on the lift panel.  Boy was I mad at myself. :angry:  

Repaired by doing this.  I have some large "C" clamps, put a 2" sq steel tube cross the top. Used a 16" "C" clamp under the bend and on the 2" tube. Slowly tightened  the "C" clamp until the bend was touching the 2" tube. When I loosed the "C" clamp it still had a small bend. I put a spacer under each end of the 2" sq tube and tightened the "C" clamp going a little over what would have been straight.  Loosened and needed a little more, so tightened just a little more. I got it almost straight and the hinge also pulled straight. Has to patch a small crack in the lift panel with a sandwich  of alum sheet and pot rivets. Not the end of the world, but you will always see it when others will not. 

Bill

#16 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:41 AM

When I went to ATC to have my sides replaced, I had a similar issue although it wasn't as bad.  When they had the roof off, they straightened to the point I can't notice it.  It was right at the clamp.  The answer may be that you have to take the roof off to get enough leverage but a call to ATC or FWC and see what they tell you.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#17 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Bobg333,

Which cantina? I'm looking for a margarita strong enough to allow me to bend the roof.

Dick

Sorry to hear about your grief but…..This post just cracked me up and Bill's "it will buff out" also made my Sunday morning visit to the forum quite enjoyable. Good luck with your repair and next time your fueled up maybe you can use your super human strength for some good, just a suggestion but if bending metal is your thing then your on the right track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users