• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

X2

I'm with Wandering Sagebrush on this one.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#32 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

I had a 2006 Ram which I enjoyed, but after driving my wife’s car and my company car, which are both 2014s SUVs, I started to appreciate the benefits of the new technology, including the back up camera and hands free options. I recently bought a 2016 Ram to replace my last truck, and have enjoyed the benefits of technology. I destroyed a tailgate on my last truck after backing it into a stump while camping, so I recently installed an OEM back up camera on my Hawk to help me while backing and parking. It does makes parking a lot easier.

I can’t/won’t work on the new vehicles, but I have an old Chevy i like to tinker on to keep my skills somewhat intact.
2007 FWC Hawk

#33 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:28 PM

I somewhat resent that I can’t fix some of the newer technologies like I could when I was a kid, but to be truthful... I am relieved. Even though I have the mechanical and electrical skills to fix many things, I prefer not to. I don’t like busted knuckles from slipped wrenches, or dirt in the eyes while working on a creeper, or multiple trips to NAPA for whatever I forgot, or grease under my fingernails, all over my hands and clothing. I like the functionality of the new trucks. I like how easy they are to drive. How quiet and comfortable they are.

I’ll take my chances and go with the newer vehicles.

Don't know why but this popped in my head.You're no daisy. No daisy at all.”

I agree with you and have a maintenance agreement, how sweet it was till they told me the broken grab handle on the "A" pillar was not going to be covered. Got it covered but really, that handle is so cheep and poorly designed. Oh well keep on trucking. As for working on them they still pretty much are the same just with lots of extra wires and sensors and maybe the need for a couple special tools to work on"em. We"re good for the next few years on  some level, so thats that.

Russ

Edited by CougarCouple, 08 June 2018 - 04:29 PM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#34 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

I'll add my bit... but talk about a car I had... a 1998 Toyota Avalon that we put 450,xxx Km on.  The drivetrain was flawless.  Changing the oil after 6000km results in a pan full of still clear/clean oil.  Body is ok for that age, with some small rust spots.  Interior still looks like new.

BUT.... all the electronics are toast or on their way. Meaning the A/C computer is nutso - turning on the rear defroster causes the radio to fuzz out, stepping on the brakes shifts the transmission too; all the indicator warning lights are on, even though everything works.  

If I had wanted to keep driving the car, I would have needed to rip out all the computers (except for the ECU) and replace them with toggle switches.  Having done that, I bet the car would run for another 400K Km.

All that said, I prefer vehicles that have great engine managment systems, but few bells/whistles otherwise.

#35 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

I'm becoming convinced that the added complexity is the result of two things. The desire of the code writers at the OEM's to stay employed at any cost; and the desire of the OEM's to technically negate the "Right to work on" law thru sophistication and complexity.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#36 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:31 AM

No secret, the auto industry would love to require all their vehicles to be dealer maintained, I do believe they're not far from their goal.
Notice their latest hook, full warranty with required dealer service contract .
I'm a little over the hill now, but for the life of me I cannot understand how the young people buy a 50k truck and pour another 5-10k in lift kits and tires and wheels and make the payment.
Required insurance on 50k auto loan for a young person gotta be outrageous..
End of rant.

#37 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:55 AM

If only the manufacturers put a tiny bit of their (huge) profits on trucks into some user-friendly software, it would help a lot.  I cannot believe how bad the Ford Sync system is - seems like a computer system from 1982.  I would love to buy something without the computer, without the bells and whistles, the automatic everything, but they don't come that way any more.  I certainly appreciate the general increase in reliability of newer vehicles, but could do without all the junk on them.

#38 62C20

62C20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, Ca.

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:43 AM

Well you can still get a new truck without all the bells and whistles. You will need to order it though. I went through the whole order process on an F-250 last year. Three months from placing order to delivery. A base model XL trim with a few choice options. No power windows, door locks or fancy power heated and cooled seats or Sync or adaptive this or that. Just a good simple ( by todays standards ) 4x4 camper hauler. But having said that, I still dig my vintage rigs.

1966 Chevy K20 flatbed

2017 Ford F-250XL 4X4

2018 ATC Cougar

#39 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:59 AM

I'm a little over the hill now, but for the life of me I cannot understand how the young people buy a 50k truck and pour another 5-10k in lift kits and tires and wheels and make the payment.
Required insurance on 50k auto loan for a young person gotta be outrageous..
End of rant.

We see this every weekend at our local Safeway - summer & winter - with city folks coming up the hill to play in the mountains. Expensive vehicles, trailers, full ski outfits for the entire family, boats, toy haulers, toys and more toys - how do they afford and make the payments on all this stuff? One month without a paycheck and its bankruptcy. It boggles the mind. And, if they can afford it, why aren't they spending the money more wisely? Save for the kid's college? Retire 10 years earlier?

I am a geezer. End of rant, but I'm with you Mr. Bitsko.

Back to our scheduled programing.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#40 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:29 AM

I worked at a dealership and they ordered in a truck specifically to advertise a low price on an in stock model.  They never really had any intention on selling it.

It had:

6 cylinder

manual transmission

steel wheels (similar to basic winter wheels)

vinyl bench seat (when the driver slid forward and back, so did the passenger)

no radio

no antennae for a radio (just a rubber plug in the body panel)

no rear bumper

manual windows

manual locks

no AC

no cruise

no tilt

Power steering was about the only feature it came with.

Funny, it was in blue in color and not the typical fleet white

Regarding tech:

I honestly don't find things too confusing.  Most sensors are pretty basic yet they can do amazing things.  I have a BlueDriver OBD2 scanner.  What I like about it is it sends the codes wirelessly to an iPhone, iPad or Android device.  When you have a code on a given vehicle it gives you information on what most people with your given vehicle had an issue with.  This is important because 1 code can sometimes mean 1 of 10 things.  It's nice to be able to start troubleshooting with the most likely culprit.

I've had ABS and stability control save my bacon on 2 separate occasions.  Both can be turned off when they are not wanted (like when you are stuck in mud or snow).

Edited by Bill D, 10 June 2018 - 05:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users