Safety wire?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 keith

keith

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

If I'm not mistaken, The stock turnbuckels are aluminum and the hooks are steel. If this is true thats probably the start of the trouble your all having. With the happijack that I'm using, there was a bit of loosening on washboard but with the locknut it's contained. Really just a case of things setting in. Also with the tie downs on the outside of the camper it's easy to moniter and snug them up as needed. All of 10-15 seconds.
2008 F250 CC SB 6.4L 4x4 / 2009 Hawk FWC

#32 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

I think Camelracer has the simplest solution really. For a total of about .50 cents the problem is solved with locknuts.

Mine rarely come off, though I did lose two on the Racetrack road during the DVR. Also lost one going into Saline last week but none coming out. Think I'll finally get off my lazy arse and buy some locknuts just for peace of mind.

To each his own, whatever works I say.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#33 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

Anybody think the new Derringer turnbuckles levers might fit? I have a lot of trouble checking the front turnbuckles. Since the clearance between the bed rails and the camper is so close on the Tundra, I can't see them. When the camper is packed, it is impossible to get to the access holes unless you unpack everything. A "set and forget" system would be great (and easier to use the lever action instead of contorting to reach through the hole). The new Derringers fit on any 1/2" threaded turnbuckle and can adjust from 9-13". I need to measure next time the camper is on, but it seems like it might work. Any thoughts?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#34 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:02 AM

My Hawk first sat on a $25 rubber, mat from KMart.

Now it sits on a spray in truck bed liner (Line-X).

In both vehicles, once the camper is in place and the turnbuckles are tightened by hand, I then drive about 100 miles, and re-tightened them by hand. After the camper settles tight on a flexible surface, the stock turn buckles do a great job. I occasionally check the turn buckles, and find that they are always tight.

#35 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:33 AM

sorry, i am new here and dont want to sound stupid, but would some lock-tight work. i use it in my line of work and it has great strenght.
Scott

#36 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

sorry, i am new here and dont want to sound stupid, but would some lock-tight work. i use it in my line of work and it has great strenght.
Scott

It's not a good solution if you take the camper on and off, I double nut, a castle and a wing on top.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#37 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

I use an air bag.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#38 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

I use cat litter.

Cheers,
Mike

#39 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hey Mikey how are you feeling. Everything going well?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#40 jackamoto

jackamoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

This worked for me after my first month of continually re-tightening the turnbuckles (shower curtain loops). 

" />

Ml9XdIa.jpgKxm6yNU.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users