#1 zonker

zonker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, OR

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:53 AM

Hello to all! I have been one of those kinda folks that read the posts.. do a little digesting of the info and then quietly slink away. Well not so anymore. My wife and I were very committed to getting either a new FWC Hawk or an ATC Panther. Due to dollars becoming a little short as of late we started looking at the used market. Well as you all know finding one of these birds is a little tough... unless of course you are willing to drive to the northern reaches of Michigan in the dead of winter (seems that is where they show up when you are seriously looking)

Well we lucked out. To make a story somewhat short... I found one in eastern Oregon... great deal as that means I am only looking at a 5 hour drive. The ad gives up that it is exactly what we are looking for. Pretty much a full featured Hawk. Not a bad deal since we would have taken a shell if we could have found it. It is a 2004 and is stated that it is in excellent condition having been stored in a garage when not in use. The story gets better so hang in there!

I send an email figuring that it is probably already sold.. even tho' I had checked every resource EVERY day for the last 3 months and it just had posted. But I know how these units have a definite following and we are not the only ones looking. So a response shows up several hours later and before I read it my stomach sort of falls as I know I am going to read "already sold it". But no.. it is still available and I am the first one to make contact. Groovy... now I am making progress. I read a little further down and the guy asks if I am the same guy that used to work for XYZ company and was an over the top gonzo cyclist that used to live for competition. Well the answer was "Yep!" Turns out the guy selling it is an old friend from 20+ years ago. We had lost contact many years ago when he went on an extended cycling trip to Australia.

How weird.. we had contacted a few other people about Hawks.. some 2000 miles away and would have been willing to go after it. But we always heard.. sorry sold. Now the perfect one shows up in our backyard and it is a very good cycling friend from many moons ago. A guy who I would trust. So when he tells me that it is perfect condition.. I know I won't be disappointed. On top he offers me a reduced price from his asking. As you can imagine we made an agreement that I would purchase it right away.. make a trip to pick it up and hang out a bit to catch up. Well it was all he said it was.. we are extremely happy and we are so glad that all the others sold.

The weekend before last we took it out for our first adventure. It was going to be a sunny weekend, or at least partly so. The cold was only go to be moderate.. so off we go. I come from an extended background of mountaineering, wilderness travel by foot and canoe.. plus a whole bunch of other reason to spend time sleeping on the ground. So this was going to be a real treat as both my wife and I only know how to sleep on a Thermarest, zip-up a mummy bag in the dark, cook on a one burner Svea stove, eat cold granola with powdered milk and drink cold tea from a metal cup while sitting on the most appealing rock out of group of 10 not so appealing versions.

We had a blast. Spent one night on the Deschutes River in a nice empty campground off the dirt road that follows it for aways. We had HEAT when it was 28 degrees, we slept in a conventional WalMart sleeping bag opened all the way out.. with a couple of wool blankets on top (kinda like a real bed), had a nice dinner sitting on cushions, read without using a headlamp or having only your eyes showing out of your mummy bag, got dressed in the morning standing up and not being in a hurry to do so. Had the same old granola but with real milk and a cup of espresso in a real cup! Now that is living! Or at least the FWC/ATC way. We are long overdue and we have paid our dues! In fact if you know of anyone who needs some really top notch outdoor gear.. we will be selling most of it soon!

We do hope to meet all of you along the way and if at anytime you are passing through the Willamette Valley in Oregon give me a buzz. Meanwhile I will throw up a few photos so that you can see I am not just some weirdo writing into this forum for an opportunity to ramble!

Attached Thumbnails

• FirstCamp02.jpg
  • FirstCamp09.jpg
  • FirstCamp01.jpg
  • FirstCamp11.jpg

#2 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

Cool Story. Cool Rig. Congrats on the new toy. Will bring much joy to you, especially when you are in the 'rain. I remember the first few times out and it rained. Just sat and listened to the rain hitting the roof. Yep, those days of the wet tent were finally over. Yes!

Anyhow, welcome and enjoy. Now, do tell about the very nice looking bumper!!!!

Dave in Seattle

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Zonker

Great looking rig. Welcome to the WTW family. Cheers.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

Excellent taste!!!!!
Have fun.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

Great story and pics!

Thanks!

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

Welcome, nice set up. Enjoy.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

welcome zonker,

That is a camper that is ment for you guys and it looks great.Thanks for sharing with the story and photos.

#8 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

Zonker,

Welcome the the forum.. Great looking rig...Especially like the CTD :thumb:.
Thanks for the pictures.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#9 zonker

zonker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, OR

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for votes of approval! I think all of you have great taste as well... must run in the family. Hey Davinski... since you queried as to our front bumpers place of origin... it was custom made by Layne at Denver Off-Road. It is aluminum and actually weighs not much more than the stock unit. If you are not familiar with Layne.. he is recommended quite often on Expedition Portal for his work. His design is excellent, his welds impeccable and he is just an all around great guy.

As you can probably tell our truck is a work in progress. We bought the bumper and then have not had the spare cash to fill the winch hole. Then the camper came along and pushed the rest of the stuff out into the future. We have a running list of upgrades for the truck.. just need to have money fall from the heavens!

DeltaRat.. you mention Power Wagon skid plates and side rails.. what is the scoop? I am interested even tho' I just said out in the future... who knows I might get rich tomorrow and need them right away and something along those lines was on my list. I just had not yet found ones that I liked.

Once again thanks to all for the welcome to WTW.. and now about some sticker that I heard about?
Zonker 2004 FWC Hawk 2006 Fiat/Dodge w/QC and 5.9 Cummins

#10 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

Welcome aboard, what a great piece of luck on the camper. The change from tents, cook stoves, and cold mornings is truly a thing to appreciate. Enjoy.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users