K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Zonker..

PM sent with Power Wagon Skid info.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#12 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

There's Only One Thing To Say.............

Attached Thumbnails

• thgay12.jpg

"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

Wow, what a story. Congrats on the new rig. Don't even think about giving me your svea. Great stoves when they work right. I spent more time cussing at mine, having great big fireballs and general annoyance. I finally said to heck with the weight, pitched it and got a coleman. I'm sure its in stove hell now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 zonker

zonker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, OR

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

Craig333... The Svea is the only thing that I will probably keep. Bought it around 1973, rebuilt it more than a few times and believe it or not it still works! Of course I was taught the secret handshake many moons ago at the birthplace for all Sveas... which I would guess is the reason for your lack of eyebrows, eye lashes and other telling marks from your Svea days. Only a few were ever truly brought into the fold and I lucked out because my girlfriend at the time was Swedish and one of the US distributors for Svea products... including as many rebuild kits as I would need for future use!

I truly believe that I am here to stay with the FWC. My old age has finally made me see the light and it is not sleeping on a Thermarest at 12,000' when the wind is blowing and it is zero degrees. An adjustable heater, a nice stove, evening light to read by and a good cup of coffee in the morning while I leisurely go about waking up to the day is where it is at!!
Zonker 2004 FWC Hawk 2006 Fiat/Dodge w/QC and 5.9 Cummins

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

I truly believe that I am here to stay with the FWC. My old age has finally made me see the light and it is not sleeping on a Thermarest at 12,000' when the wind is blowing and it is zero degrees. An adjustable heater, a nice stove, evening light to read by and a good cup of coffee in the morning while I leisurely go about waking up to the day is where it is at!!

Or when you do what to do that you can get to the trail head late the day before and get a good nights rest/breakfast in the FWC. Then hit it and once the trip is done return to a heated camper to either crash or just change gear in before heading back to civilization.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#16 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Sometimes I look at my backpack sitting in the closet and think it still has some miles left on it. But its unlikely to anymore winter camping. Maybe a nice easy trip to Point Reyes or something.

I still have friends that tent. Whats interesting is, those of us with campers, trailers etc, aren't just more comfortable, but we get out more often.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#17 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

Welcome aboard. It's a small world. Travel safe.

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

#18 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:21 AM

....age has finally made me see the light and it is not sleeping on a Thermarest at 12,000' when the wind is blowing and it is zero degrees. An adjustable heater, a nice stove, evening light to read by and a good cup of coffee in the morning while I leisurely go about waking up to the day is where it is at!!

That's it in a nutshell! Very well put.

Congratulations on the new camper and thanks for a great story. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#19 zonker

zonker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, OR

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

Thanks all for the welcome to the group. I will keep my fingers crossed that over time I get a chance to sit down and say hello to everybody! KC... I want you to know that you are the reason I finally decided on this camper adventure. I was wandering the Internet late one night.. sort of had it in the back of my mind that it was time and I ran across your review that was on Expedition Portal. Read the whole thing and started shopping for a FWC/ATC almost immediately. So thanks... I owe you as this is going to be a blast and a whole new way of doing things for my wife and I. We are a team and she was ready too.
Zonker 2004 FWC Hawk 2006 Fiat/Dodge w/QC and 5.9 Cummins

#20 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Sometimes I look at my backpack sitting in the closet and think it still has some miles left on it. But its unlikely to anymore winter camping. Maybe a nice easy trip to Point Reyes or something.

I still want to get out, including snow camping but I think this rig is just going to help out the situation. The ability to take off Friday from work and get to locations/trail heads and not have to deal with setting up a whole camp should allow a good nights sleep since we're already there rather than getting up early to hit the road. In snow camping it provides a warm good night sleep to get geared up in the morning, then upon return from adventures a warm/dry place to change out of gear and have a hot drink before hitting the road.

Whats interesting is, those of us with campers, trailers etc, aren't just more comfortable, but we get out more often.

That was one of my thought processes as well, a lot less excuses can come up about heading out in fickle weather (not that we have any of that in WA :rolleyes:) when you can retreat to a dry location that is still big enough to stand in, has heat, and lighting to read/cards/cribbage, etc.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users