• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:52 PM

Ha ha, tell us how you feel about that thermostat :D,  My thermostat is the same and it was the same on my prior camper, a FWC. Let us know how the new one works.  And if it takes  a battery, be sure to carry a spare.

Love the build, keep up the good work.

Edited by jimjxsn, 16 September 2018 - 02:28 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#32 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:03 PM

Excellent work! It is nice to see! Thanks for sharing your skills with us. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#33 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:01 PM

Sorry it has been a while since an update.  Got the table leg and table done.  The table leg (Lagun) arm swings out from a stowed position (or you can leave it attached to the bottom of the table), and you put the table onto the arm of the leg and tighten a couple of handles.

i-rhjsXKm-M.jpg

I could not use the bracket that came with the Lagun table leg, I had to make my own out of steel 2"x2" steel angle iron so I could bolt it to my reinforced cabinet corner. It is now fixed in the up and down direction, but that's ok...

i-D9vMFkC-L.jpg

The four of us can eat at the table comfortably, or I can sit there and spend way too much time at my computer...

i-XXMbgXk-M.jpg

It does deflect a bit out at the far end to the right in the photo, so I may add a stiffener underneath or maybe even another fold down leg...

i-MWTjQZK-M.jpg

The table can swing away into the corner if needed...

i-gg2m7wj-M.jpg

The table stows under the bench seat...

i-3hh4Dvn-M.jpg

The two straps you see on each side will have snaps that will hold the table in place while driving...

i-KtQ5Qs8-M.jpg

Those with sharp eyes out there will notice I raised the floor under the table area.  You see, the Tundra has a really deep bed, so in the camper while sitting (with the bench seats on that upper shelf of the camper body) my feet were dangling in the air (I am 5'-9"). This is a little uncomfortable, so I raised the floor 6"..

i-PfSZfmF-M.jpg

I am loathe to add any more weight to this camper, but I had to do something to be comfortable while eating at the table.  The extra weight is at least up front and low, and the bonus is I got a lot more needed storage space for shoes, hiking boots, solar shower bag, board games, firearms, you know, stuff like that :ph34r:. Just kidding about the firearms, maybe :D ...

i-mKXqj6x-M.jpg

Yeah, those are lightening holes in the 1"x6".  Sometimes I get a little carried away with weight savings :unsure:

Next up is to finish the backsplash around the kitchen counter, and the counter corner area.  I've got a cool idea for that.  Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  It has been a way bigger project than I imagined, and a stupid amount of work, but I am really liking how it is turning out and my family loves it.

Edited by BlueSky, 21 September 2018 - 11:15 PM.

#34 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:05 AM

................................................................... but I am really liking how it is turning out and my family loves it.

:)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#35 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:31 PM

following your project with admiration.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#36 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

Got the new thermostat installed.  Just two wires, and it works fantastic, and it shows the current temp in the camper, and the display is back-lit when you push a button. Just a simple heat-only Honywell digital thermostat, cost about $25...

i-z6DsSWf-M.jpg

and the one that came with the camper, where it belongs, along with the company that made it...

i-FjMx4W7-M.jpg

Marty owes me $25:)

Added the SumoSprings, and the rear end of the truck came back up about an inch and a half...

i-L3fZJWz-M.jpg

Quit early today to watch the Broncos lose to Baltimore.  Geeeezzzz. Going to be another one of those seasons.

#37 Dragon

Dragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOar-E-Gun

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:09 AM

BlueSky - when I get my shell next year, I'm heading to your place, so I can have you build it out for me! HAHAHA! 

Great work! I'm really impressed how well a DIY build out can be done. 

How did the furnace do on the maiden trip?? If you could have a do-over, would you have installed your own heater?

Mike

Edited by Dragon, 05 October 2018 - 05:11 AM.

#38 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

Thanks Dragon, the furnace worked great, even at 8000 feet elevation. It was just the thermostat that gave me problems. In my old Westfalia I installed a Propex furnace and it was a total PITA, especially since I got a bad one and had to take it out twice for service and finally had to replace it with a new one. I guess that really turned me off to installing furnaces, and that was not even including the propane tank. If I did it over I would consider the Truma furnace and hot water heater combo. I did not know they existed, otherwise I may have asked ATC to do it or would have done it myself.

Edited by BlueSky, 06 October 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#39 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:15 PM

I finally got the kitchen corner done.  When traveling and camping I like to listen to local radio stations and music (at low volume), so I installed a basic Alpine car stereo/CD player with Bluetooth. This little cabinet took a lot of time given how small it is...

i-rzFFBb6-M.jpg

Found some Jensen speakers that come in a perfect size/shape enclosure. Used some aluminum plate I had laying around to attach them to the ceiling. Not exactly audiophile, but ok for camping.  Really need a pair of 6x9 inch to get good sound, maybe a future project...

i-TrwbQP7-M.jpg

i-RLZnVRf-M.jpg

Here is the whole galley unit all done. I think it worked out great.  Very compact yet has everything we need to do a little cooking inside.  Mostly just making coffee, pasta, soup, maybe some eggs and french toast:). The counter space seems enormous compared to the Westfalia, and while camped we can leave things out and not have to put everything away in cubbies every time we go to bed. All the plumbing is inside except the short drain tubes that run straight down out the end of the truck's bed and the gap between the bumper and bed.. Filling the water tank is a breeze and I can easily reach into the camper from outside the back door and flip the drain valve. Storage is minimal, but we eat mostly fresh food anyway and that all fits in the big cooler. I can easily keep an eye on the water level in the tank without having to push a button on an electric panel. The downside is that the water tank is not in the ideal location regarding weight distribution, but it is pretty close to being over the rear axle so not horrible. The flush cabinet doors really add to the spacious feel of the camper, and that little cut-in at the sink/stove really adds a lot when we are all in the camper and one person is cooking or doing dishes.

i-GJLmVCh-M.jpg

Just a few more minor adjustments and some things on the outside.  One of the top things on my list is to modify the soft-top window panels so I don't have to go outside and get on a ladder to pull off the outer panel and let air and light in or put the panels back up when a storm comes. What a PITA these things are, and I have an idea on how to totally eliminate this problem and do everything from the inside.

#40 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

I finally got the kitchen corner done.  When traveling and camping I like to listen to local radio stations and music (at low volume), so I installed a basic Alpine car stereo/CD player with Bluetooth. This little cabinet took a lot of time given how small it is...

i-rzFFBb6-M.jpg

Found some Jensen speakers that come in a perfect size/shape enclosure. Used some aluminum plate I had laying around to attach them to the ceiling. Not exactly audiophile, but ok for camping.  Really need a pair of 6x9 inch to get good sound, maybe a future project...

i-TrwbQP7-M.jpg

i-RLZnVRf-M.jpg

Here is the whole galley unit all done. I think it worked out great.  Very compact yet has everything we need to do a little cooking inside.  Mostly just making coffee, pasta, soup, maybe some eggs and french toast:). The counter space seems enormous compared to the Westfalia, and while camped we can leave things out and not have to put everything away in cubbies every time we go to bed. All the plumbing is inside except the short drain tubes that run straight down out the end of the truck's bed and the gap between the bumper and bed.. Filling the water tank is a breeze and I can easily reach into the camper from outside the back door and flip the drain valve. Storage is minimal, but we eat mostly fresh food anyway and that all fits in the big cooler. I can easily keep an eye on the water level in the tank without having to push a button on an electric panel. The downside is that the water tank is not in the ideal location regarding weight distribution, but it is pretty close to being over the rear axle so not horrible. The flush cabinet doors really add to the spacious feel of the camper, and that little cut-in at the sink/stove really adds a lot when we are all in the camper and one person is cooking or doing dishes.

i-GJLmVCh-M.jpg

Just a few more minor adjustments and some things on the outside.  One of the top things on my list is to modify the soft-top window panels so I don't have to go outside and get on a ladder to pull off the outer panel and let air and light in or put the panels back up when a storm comes. What a PITA these things are, and I have an idea on how to totally eliminate this problem and do everything from the inside.

Totally agree on the flush cabinet doors.  I did mine the same way and love the clean and uncluttered look.  Excellent work here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users