• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

My rig doesn't have a converter or charger with it so I'm putting some thought towards that now that I've dug into my cabinets. Did some reading on the archives and didn't see a ton on converter/chargers. Sounds like most are running the Iota that came with the rig: http://www.iotaengin...g.com/dls30.htm However I know yukon for one has something like this: http://www.wfcoelect...id=44&Itemid=77

Any thoughts on that second one? I'm need to rewire my fuse/breaker boxes but I think it would make for a more compact unit all around. Bother running about the same price. Anyone have other input or suggestions?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

The Only complaint I have with the Iota is the fuse location. I've been threatening to put in a circuit breaker but y'know how that goes.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

Chnlisle, thanks I'll keep the fuse location in mind when I wire stuff up.

I suppose another option would be just to add a breaker to the 110 box with a battery charger hardwired in. Just run the 12V stuff off the batteries while on shore power and keep the battery charger topping the batteries off rather than trying to run a converter. I'd always need a battery bank to get 12V in this scenario but other than that are we looking at downsides?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:36 AM

I am in the same boat thinking about upgrading my converter (DLS 30?) to a "smart" converter/charger. Right now I'm leaning to the iota 30A that you posted. It seems like a good unit but I'm not sure if I can fit it in the factory FWC power center or if all that stuff has to come out.

The WFCO seems to be pretty good according to internet chat boards.

I'd do something permanent and not go the battery charger route if you think you will have to charge often.

Where will you be mounting the converter? How many amps do you need?
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:11 AM

I am in the same boat thinking about upgrading my converter (DLS 30?) to a "smart" converter/charger. Right now I'm leaning to the iota 30A that you posted.

I believe you can just buy the add on for your DSL30 if you wanted. http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm

I'd do something permanent and not go the battery charger route if you think you will have to charge often.

I was talking about hard wiring a battery charger in, not messing around with alligator clamps and such.

Where will you be mounting the converter? How many amps do you need?

Well I just pulled up the WFCO one today so I haven't had time to go out and visualize but I was thinking perhaps reworking the front of the cabinet a bit and mount it flush with bulk of it in that area where the lower sliders are or something like that. Since the converter FWC supplies is ~30amp and that seemingly works I figured I'd just stick around that ballpark if so. Do you see a need for higher output?

#6 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

I thought about putting a converter in at one time. Then I thought about how I actually use the camper. Rarely, am i near shore power. Rarely, would I have the opportunity to plug in. Would be nice to have the option, but that would increase the complexity of the entire system.

So, in KISS fashion, I never put one in. Batteries charge while driving or via solar if I need. I could run a small generator and charge if need be, but not set up to do it easily. I'd just isolate battery, clamp on charging cables. Have yet to actually do it.

I figured if I ever needed shore charging, I would use a small unit like a 5amp battery tender that would take up little space, and make due in a pinch.

On the rare occasion that I have hook ups, it will be winter so I run a ceramic space heater and maybe the laptop off AC and everything else stays DC.

KISS. always good.

Dave/ seattle

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

KISS. always good.

I agree but I'm going for the simplicity of operation. One way or another I want a battery charger hard wired in whether its a combo convertor or stand alone charger. That way when I'm on shore power (or the rig is parked outside my house) I can just plug in the AC and have my batteries brought up to 100% and maintained till I'm ready to roll next and then I just unplug the cord. No desire to clamp/unclamp charger, stow it/take it out, etc. I figure running an extension cord from the garage is a 30sec task and easy to not put off.

#8 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

With my 10 amp charger I mounted it near the batteries and keep the clamps on and the charger pluged in to a AC outlet in the camper.When I am near shore power I just use the AC plug in from the outside of camper and it is no hassle because it is already plugged in.
You could cut the clamps of and hardwire the charger but I like being able to charge the 6 volt batteries seperate if needed so clamps work fine.

I would get a compact size charger with at least 10 amps so it will be able to fully charge overnight.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

With my 10 amp charger I mounted it near the batteries and keep the clamps on and the charger pluged in to a AC outlet in the camper.When I am near shore power I just use the AC plug in from the outside of camper and it is no hassle because it is already plugged in.
You could cut the clamps of and hardwire the charger but I like being able to charge the 6 volt batteries seperate if needed so clamps work fine.

I would get a compact size charger with at least 10 amps so it will be able to fully charge overnight.

I was looking at some chargers like this which you wouldn't even need to do any cutting, they are already setup to connect to your battery connections. No worries about stuff rattling off, etc.
http://www.promarine...roductNum=42008

#10 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Here is another option. This is what I have http://www.tripplite...txtModelID=2939

It's a Inverter/Smart charger. ATC helped me set it up. It's connected to the shore power outlet and the battery. It'll charge the battery when you connect to 110v.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users