• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:19 AM

I'd say about 800# unloaded and around 950 to 1,000# when really loaded for a long trip. The truck has handled the loaded weight very well so far and I say so far because it hasn't been long enough to see what long term effect it will has on wheel bearings etc.

As to options, be sure to get the heater, auxiliary battery (if you drain the truck battery you're stuck), screen door, power vent fan, jacks, sliding front window, and I know I'm missing something else. Now the fridge, I'm still torn on that one, if I had it to do again I might consider an Engel instead of the 3-way Norcold. That fridge is a constant pain to keep at the right temp if the camper isn't perfectly level.

We didn't include an awning in the original package because most of our camping is in wooded areas at high elevation. We are about to add one this year in preparation for a desert trip in the fall. So if you think you're going to want one eventually might as well get it now. Best of luck.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#12 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:40 AM

dear scott....
not much of a boondocker....like the state and county campgrounds....really like the camping/music festivals...am considering a trip across this wonderful country...like to travel/camp in spring-summer-fall when weather and roads are good...would probable leave it on the truck from spring to winter.

recently retired and finally have time...am not that mechanical so prefer to invest in good equipment and have them professionally installed/maintained.
what is it like for you?
yer campin pal...RW rambler

RW Rambler,

We prefer to camp in older, deserted or dispersed campgrounds. Very few people but usually located in wonderful locales. It's nice to get out of the heat in summer!

I'd take a look at FWC's new dinette. Also, All Terrain Campers are a good bunch of guys to deal with. ATC's campers aren't quite as cosmetically appealing, but they are every bit as durable. ATC has some great floorplan pictures on their site.

If you are thinking you might upgrade to a larger truck if things work out, conscider the larger camper (Hawk size).

Both companies are probably feeling a bit of hurt right now and may have reduced prices...

I'd probably look at the superspring upgrade as I think that will require less maintenance than the air bags.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users