61 replies to this topic

#21 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:02 PM

What do they say "shot" or "stabbed"!!!! Foy, you should be out here looking at neat rock formations in some place like the Smoke Creek Desert instead of waiting  for a wall of water to hit!.  In any event, the weather here is turning into a year round fire season-even when we do have a decent winter and there isn't allot you can do about it 'cept bitch and have another beer.  I'm so far behind in yard work that except for building up the wood pile, I think I'll just give up and go camping! Again, hope all turns out well for you folks and be safe-those graphs and pictures they keep showing on tv don't look like any fun!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#22 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

Still see people on the beach on the cam. Interesting. Drive safe getting out of there.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#23 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

Still see people on the beach on the cam. Interesting. Drive safe getting out of there.

I'm uncertain of the legalities concerning "mandatory evacuation" but I think the bottom line is the Gummint can't force one off of one's property.  Perhaps the "mandatory" just lets hospitality operators evict their guests and lets first responder LEOs off the hook in the event of a call for assistance once the stuff hits the fan.  Either way, we always see locals "riding it out" no matter how severe it's due to be. The tourists pretty much all scramble at first warning.

Foy

#24 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:15 PM

We’re good. We made it to my brother-in-law’s home in the Manassas, VA area at mid-day today after a nine hour drive. We’ll head on home tomorrow (or not!).

We had planned out a route very similar to the one you suggested, Foy, but decided to go with our northern option. One family of our group left last night. Another family had to leave Nags Head at 0230 to make a flight out of Norfolk so the rest of us decided we’d all go then. Traffic maps and near-real-time traffic cams looked good and our route down had been mostly rural in Virginia. But we did have a couple of potential choke points at Norfolk, Petersburg, and Richmond.

As it turns out, the only problem we had was a traffic backup west of Richmond due to an accident. But we saw it building on the traffic map and were able to detour around it.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#25 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

All folks in the path of the stalking turtle take care. We're pulling for you and you are in our thoughts.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#26 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:58 AM

Here in Peru it feels more like spring than fall. :huh:

Oh...wait - it is spring here.  :P

(sorry for the off-topic post...)  ;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:24 AM

Here in Peru it feels more like spring than fall. :huh:
 Oh...wait - it is spring here.  :P
(sorry for the off-topic post...)  ;)

Does it feel like you're on a different hemisphere?

Hope you are having a great trip!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:09 AM

Just checking out how one lives in the other half of the sphere?

Does water in the toilets spin cw or ccw when flushed?

Curious minds need to know. :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#29 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

Today is the day we really start loosing daylight . About 12 hours today for everybody and those up north you really start loosing day light rapidly after today.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:24 PM

Does it feel like you're on a different hemisphere?

It doesn't feel different...but I noticed that the sun traces a path across the northern half of the sky, and that's different.

... Does water in the toilets spin cw or ccw when flushed?

Well, at -6° of latitude currently I'm only barely in the Southern hemisphere. I flushed the toilet just now and it swirled ccw.

But science has calculated and shown that the coriolis effect is too weak to be a significant factor in a toilet. The shape of the bowl and angle of the jets are the determining factors in swirl direction.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users