315 replies to this topic

#261 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:22 AM

Come on this person is not a Troll [why the label?  What would be gained by whatever tolling is?]....looks like their first post...they were interested, open the thread and saw #254 posts which would overwhelm anyone...and this thread has wandered a tad..

And you did not answer that person's first question:  "what went wrong".....replacing components is assumed to be a cure not a cause...without a defined problem the solution can't be defined...

I do not think Dawn ever lost all of her battery power and was without needed electricity to power essentials or start the Tacoma. 

Adjudging when low battery reserves are too low depends on a ton of variables....just my take and I could be wrong  :D

Phil

Sorry about the Troll comment.  I edited it out.

What went wrong... I thought I specifically said two things?  No monitoring, and a bad separator.

#262 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:44 AM

Sorry about the Troll comment.  I edited it out.

What went wrong... I thought I specifically said two things?  No monitoring, and a bad separator.

Vic...no sweat...I am uncertain what a Troll actual does on a forum anyway..however we did drive the "Troll Road"  ['Trollstigen'] in Norway. :D 

Dawn came back and described her original issue as:  

"Original problem: power in not keeping up with power out in unusually fast timeframe. Would camp in full sun with other ppl with same set up, and I'd get scary low and they would be fine."

So it was 'scary low' and the only defective items were a the door seal of frig and separator...batteries were "fine"...lots of uncertainty and the new controller only allowed a more definitive analysis of how much was going in, how much and how much was left...controller did not "fix" either issue only allowed better power use and peace of mind..

Phil

Ps...Dawn heard you found and rescued a pup!  Good on ya Lady! ;) 

#263 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:20 AM

Vic...no sweat...I am uncertain what a Troll actual does on a forum anyway..however we did drive the "Troll Road"  ['Trollstigen'] in Norway. :D 

Dawn came back and described her original issue as:  

"Original problem: power in not keeping up with power out in unusually fast timeframe. Would camp in full sun with other ppl with same set up, and I'd get scary low and they would be fine."

So it was 'scary low' and the only defective items were a the door seal of frig and separator...batteries were "fine"...lots of uncertainty and the new controller only allowed a more definitive analysis of how much was going in, how much and how much was left...controller did not "fix" either issue only allowed better power use and peace of mind..

Phil

Ps...Dawn heard you found and rescued a pup!  Good on ya Lady! ;) 

Troll road... lol!

Just to clarify, yes... symptoms were scary low batteries, not keeping up.

Cause was likely the separator.

Fridge seal contributed to excessive draw

MONITOR helped find and isolate the issues (as did her EE buddy).  As you say, it did not FIX the issue.

CONTROLLER has yet to be replaced and was not the issue.

#264 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:40 AM

Troll road... lol!

Just to clarify, yes... symptoms were scary low batteries, not keeping up.

Cause was likely the separator.

Fridge seal contributed to excessive draw

MONITOR helped find and isolate the issues (as did her EE buddy).  As you say, it did not FIX the issue.

CONTROLLER has yet to be replaced and was not the issue.

Roger that...

Now Dawn...post a picture of your new pup!  I think you spent too much time here at "Adele's Cat House and Rescue Mission"!

Phil

#265 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:14 AM

Pics of pup in my Trip Report thread :D  ! 

http://www.wanderthe...-10#entry204898

and a sneak peek of her at PetCo today 

gmp6jQFvpk2lKaWlpHjYIbZULQa5ffLyGtUti5VR

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#266 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:26 AM

Not trolling, not offended. I am a new Hawk owner, about three weeks now. Have read this forum extensively for prepurchase and post purchase info and ideas. You guys and gals are an encyclopedia of FWC and other truck campers.

This particular thread had grown so fast and wandered quite a bit in the process that I could not keep up. The whole solar, truck alternator thing is totally new to me. Seems much simpler on boats which is my background.

Thanks for the clarification and re- statement of problem(s) and solution(s).

WTW is a great community and resource.

Edited by Mthomas, 12 October 2018 - 05:27 AM.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#267 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:29 PM

Not trolling, not offended. I am a new Hawk owner, about three weeks now. Have read this forum extensively for prepurchase and post purchase info and ideas. You guys and gals are an encyclopedia of FWC and other truck campers.

This particular thread had grown so fast and wandered quite a bit in the process that I could not keep up. The whole solar, truck alternator thing is totally new to me. Seems much simpler on boats which is my background.

Thanks for the clarification and re- statement of problem(s) and solution(s).

WTW is a great community and resource.

Mthomas,

Welcome to the insanity!   :D

If you want more info on power, there are lots of good threads here.  I am particularly fond of this one, because I started it!!

http://www.wanderthe...e-power-scotty/

#268 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:26 PM

It is factory installed 2-way Dometic fridge. If I do lower than 5, it gets above 45°F

I do want my camper batteries to charge while I'm driving, and I got a good one today from the local solar store. 

Thats about right for that refer.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#269 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:41 PM

Damn...nice information..thanks...you say that for the mix of watts/amps/volts you "need a device" before the equation Watts=Amps x Volts is accurate and that the equation is not immutable; not "a law of physics"....but a variable expression...wow...that blows right by me!

My question concerning FWC solar system was not addressing the adequacy of that system for any individual user but how efficient is the FWC solar system at capturing and storing energy...in short is the FWC solar a "good" system?  Or does it need tweaking to meet what would be considered the nominal power use in a fully equipped camper given a power production and storage such as you delineate in your last paragraph?

Thanks for your expertise and patience....interesting topic; if only academic. 

Phil

Keep in mind that the "FWC system" has changed several times over the years so without specifics it would be an apple vs oranges discussion. Case in point, batteries have changed (size, type, number), panels have changed (size, type), controllers (type). Even the separators and plugs have changed. The good news is the changes appear to be for the better. The bad news is keeping up with the latest and greatest ;0)

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#270 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:15 PM

Well, back to annoyed. Truck sat at friends house for two days, with some errand running, no shore power, not popped up, full sun. Didnt check solar #s.

Two days ago (Friday) parked around 1pm, full sun, 100% all happy. Woke up to 85%.

Yesterday full sun drove errands then a sold 1.5hrs+ highway. Parked around 1pm full sun til abt 5pm then overcast.
Now morning reading 83%

:-(

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users