Photo
- - - - -

Anyone using a newer chevy silverado 1500 with a hawk model?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Purserverance

Purserverance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:46 AM

Hi, we bought a hawk in 2015, love it more than any camping arrangement we have used in the last 20 years. It currently sits on a 2005 silverado 2500hd crewcab 2wd. The truck doesnt even know the camper is there! No engine struggle, barely any sag. But, its time for a new truck. We are thinking of downsizing to a 1500 2wd, extended cab. Is anyone out there using this truck with a hawk? We pull a small enclosed trailer with a small utv (2008 polaris rzr 800).
Is a V8 1500 enough truck? Meaning, the truck doesnt spend alot of time down shifting on slight grades, and the truck doesnt sag much, etc. Definitely willing to run airbags on rear suspension if needed.
What do you think? Thanks. Maybe a pic?

#2 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

<p>I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 double cab Z-71 4x4 with the V8. I carry a 1979 Grandby that I completely rebuilt, with a dry weight of 1100 pounds. I have the Timbren suspension on the back axle. I also tow a Lund Alaskan 1600 with it at the same time. Seems fine to me with plenty of power and stops well also. I do have surge type disc brakes on my boat trailer, so I would recomment them.</p>

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

I would compare payload specifications of the truck you have now to the truck you are looking at. That will give you a better idea of what you may be dealing with.

The fact that you have "barely any sag" means you have some, which is not uncommon at all.

However, if the payload on the truck you want is significantly less than the sag will likely be significantly more.

In the end it is what you are willing to accept as a safe replacement for your current truck.

It might help to get a weight on the loaded camper before you commit to another truck.

Good luck:)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

Not a GM truck, but a 08 Ram 1500. We haven't had the camper for that long, and I added a rear sway bar and air springs to the rear axle. We did a three day trip up Hwy 101 CA to OR, and we just got back from a 12 day trip (Tahoe-Mono Lake/Bodie-Central NV-Elko/Ruby Mountains-SE Idaho-Central Idaho(Stanley)-Eastern OR-NE CA).

After our first short trip, I decided to upgrade all four disc brakes to ventilated rotors and new "towing" pads, not because we had any brake scares but because the brakes were a little squeaky and were about 3 years old. I bedded in the new pads/rotors per instructions after the install. On our first day of the longer trip, coming down a moderately steep grade that had a lot of slow turns on it, my wife said the brakes were getting mushy. We pulled over about half way down the grade and I tested the brakes in the turn out. Mush City, almost completely dysfunctional. I let the brakes cool down a bit and then let the transmission do most of the braking from then on. We didn't have any other "scares", but it set me up for worrying about the truck being overloaded for the rest of the trip. Our camper is 1400# dry, so with the rest of the stuff on board, we are pretty overloaded for our payload rating. We also drove on some fairly rough National Forest roads without any real issues, but it felt like we were beating up the truck a bit.

With our other truck being an 05 Sierra 1500 and replacement on the horizon, we had always planned to get a 3/4 ton down the road to use for the camper, using the 08 Ram in the mean time. On our trip, we decided to get the 3/4 ton sooner rather than later, just so we don't have to worry about killing the 1/2 ton or having any safety issues on a trip. So we purchased a Ram 2500 to put our minds at ease.

Some considerations:

Not sure how heavy your camper is, but we are running a heavy Hawk with everything but a toilet in it. We also like to go on forest roads and other unpaved areas where 4x may be needed. If you are thinking of getting a 2WD, that tells me you probably spend most of your time on decent roads. Lots of people put these campers on 1/2 tons and that's why we did it, because there are so many people that do it without any reported issues. If you downgrade to a 1/2 ton, you can almost guarantee you will need some suspension upgrades, so figure that into your plans. But if it was me, I would stick with a 3/4 ton just for peace of mind.

#5 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:11 PM

We're running an ATC Panther shell that's been full time mounted for the past three years on a 2000 2WD Chevy 1500. We run with a set of Firestone Ride Rite air bags, no sway bar, camper dry weight is about 800lbs. We usually lug around about 400lbs of gear when out for a week or more. No problems for us, truck seems to handle the load well. Engine (5.3L V8, 155,000 miles) runs strong and have not had any braking issues. I usually run with tow/haul mode on and downshift to 3rd gear when pulling steeper uphill grades and definitely downshift on steep winding downhill grades to stay off the brakes as much as possible.

Probably helps that I drive in full time geezer mode, keeping a steady eye on my speed and driving very defensively to stay out of panic stop situations. This combo works for us now as a new truck is not in the household budget. When we replace the truck in about three years, we'll definitely be upgrading to a 3/4 ton so I can load up on more goodies.  :D 

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#6 Purserverance

Purserverance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 03:11 AM

Thanks all, thats exactly what i was hoping to hear. The Hawk is a shell model w upgrades, at about 1100 pounds, so it sounds like the 1500 will be fine, and i was planning on airbags. I was only thinkin uphill issues, never even considered downhill and brakes, so i will look into payload recs from GM. And i am on road most of the time, or very descent eastern sierra and nevada dirt roads. The rzr does the fun stuff!
Thanks again, see you out there

#7 trailrunreynolds

trailrunreynolds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

We have chevy 1500 (4x4 with a 5.3L) with tow package that includes an over load leaf (seems typical for the tow package).  Our hawk is about 1400 lbs before adding our gear.  I have not added any air bags or other support.  I use the tow/haul mode especially on long descents or ascents.  Otherwise the truck does great.  No issue going as fast as I want or need during the climb.  Likewise during the descent.  I do notice what one would expect for having a 1500 lbs object in the bed as far as overall handling.  Takes a little longer to decelerate and accelerate.  But not really that much longer.  Overall very pleased and not likely to add any air bags.

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:44 PM

I must be missing something..

Why would someone get a half ton truck that may or may not be designed to carry the actual weight of the camper when a 3/4 ton truck will do it better for not much more money and still be the same size??

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:41 PM

I must be missing something..

Why would someone get a half ton truck that may or may not be designed to carry the actual weight of the camper when a 3/4 ton truck will do it better for not much more money and still be the same size??

1. 'cuz I had the truck before I wanted the camper

2. 'cuz Tundras don't come in 3/4 ton models

3. 'cuz I believed that if most FWC's are mounted on Tacomas, then surely a 1/2 ton truck would be fine

4. 'cuz I didn't learn about WTW until after I got the camper

6. or some combination of the above

Kinda like why would someone buy a place in the low country in an area where hurricanes frequent?

or why would I buy a place below the subduction zone tsunami elevation in Oregon? 

\_(ツ)_/  I dunno.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:17 AM

I have a 2016 Sierra 1500 2wd reg cab v8 w/8ft bed and older outfitted Grandby camper. Truck pulls camper great with no issues. If money was no object, I would "appreciate but not need" the bigger payload, brakes, 4wd and diesel of a "Perfect for me" truck but I wanted to do this on a smaller budget to make sure this whole thing worked for me first and it has so far...plus in the near future, we all my be travelling by hover cars...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users