• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:36 PM

I was putting my truck with Hawk back in shop after recent trip cleanup. I can store my Hawk with the top popped up. I unlatched and got in to lift and open up. From front first (won't start front again) I lifted. There was resistance so I pushed harder :(. Did not go up so got out to check latches. I had somehow missed the side passenger latch. By trying to lift I have actually bent the roof where the latch attaches. Does not look real bad but now that latch will not fasten tight. Looks like I can maybe straighten back out. I may be able to put a board inside and pull down to straighten up. My question is that I don't want to crack any metal or roof... think I'm OK if I'm careful? I don't have a local dealer here in TX anymore... should I wait until tomorrow and call FWC?

#2 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:31 PM

Is this your only transportation?  I wouldn't want to drive it on the highway in this condition, and I would definitely prefer to talk to FWC before I did something that made the situation even worse.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#3 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

I was putting my truck with Hawk back in shop after recent trip cleanup. I can store my Hawk with the top popped up. I unlatched and got in to lift and open up. From front first (won't start front again) I lifted. There was resistance so I pushed harder :(. Did not go up so got out to check latches. I had somehow missed the side passenger latch. By trying to lift I have actually bent the roof where the latch attaches. Does not look real bad but now that latch will not fasten tight. Looks like I can maybe straighten back out. I may be able to put a board inside and pull down to straighten up. My question is that I don't want to crack any metal or roof... think I'm OK if I'm careful? I don't have a local dealer here in TX anymore... should I wait until tomorrow and call FWC?

Here in Jackson Hole we have a FWC rep, and I've seen him personally straighten out more than a few bent roofs.  The side latch seems to be the major culprit.  I don't have a picture or diagram of what he did, but I can describe it to you...it's not hard to do.  Get a piece of 2 x 6 lumber, and cut it down to about 1 to 2 feet in length.  Unhinge all your buckles on the roof, and LIFT the roof just enough to slide that piece of lumber underneath the upper lip of the side of the roof where it's bent.  You want to stand the piece of lumber on its edge, and you want to position it such that the front edge of the lumber/board is right underneath that bent area.  Now, simply apply pressure forward of that area, pull down on the roof steadily and firmly.  The roof is aluminum and pliable, it will bend downward and you should be able to straighten it enough that it 1) can be driven to FWC or somewhere else to attend to it further, or 2) it looks good enough that you don't have to do anything else.  I've seen Denny at FWC in Jackson Hole do this several times, and it's amazing how good it looks after it's done.  Majority of the time the roofs are bent at one of the forward side buckles. 

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:41 PM

I bent my roof on my old 2002 Hawk hitting something with the roof up. I put wood blocks above and below the edge with the roof partly opened. You do need to block or support it to hold it partly open.  I used a LARGE 14 inch "C" clamp and gently pressed the roof straight. See the attached picture on blocking the roof.  You may have to press a little over as the roof will spring back just a little. Put clamp when the arrows are.

Attached Thumbnails

• test.png

#5 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:57 PM

BentRoof.jpg

I drew a little pic of how to do this with the 2 x 6....Bill's idea sounds good, too, and may be more precise.  In either case, I think you can get the roof close to what it looked like before the mishap.  

Bill, in your diagram, on the underside of the roof, is that two blocks of wood and then a board across them?  On the top of the roof you just used a board?  Then I guess you put the C clamp on and tightened.  I'm thinking you need a big clamp for this?  Looks like a great way to accomplish the task.

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

attachicon.gifBentRoof.jpg

I drew a little pic of how to do this with the 2 x 6....Bill's idea sounds good, too, and may be more precise.  In either case, I think you can get the roof close to what it looked like before the mishap.  

Bill, in your diagram, on the underside of the roof, is that two blocks of wood and then a board across them? Yes On the top of the roof you just used a board?  Then I guess you put the C clamp on and tightened.  I'm thinking you need a big clamp for this?  Looks like a great way to accomplish the task.

Yes, just a board on top to spread the pressure. I do have several large over 12" C clamps. 

I would be careful pulling on the edge, Too much pressure the alum could move quickly and your bend will be in the opposite direction and may crack the alum tube.  

#7 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:48 PM

Radarcontact THANKS... that's exactly what I needed. It's actually what I was planning on doing :)!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Inshore Chaser

Inshore Chaser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEast Coast NJ

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:53 AM

Another goof (me)!  I assume that the 2 x4 on edge will be positioned under the roof lip (molding) and exterior to the soft sides (as opposed to the inside of the camper/soft sides)....correct? Just making sure that the soft side is not damaged.

#9 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:18 AM

Another goof (me)!  I assume that the 2 x4 on edge will be positioned under the roof lip (molding) and exterior to the soft sides (as opposed to the inside of the camper/soft sides)....correct? Just making sure that the soft side is not damaged.

Yes, exactly.  You want the board on the OUTSIDE of the soft side/shell.  As Bill said, the alum. is delicate, so when you pull down, make it a steady and firm pressure, don't jerk or yank on it.  You'll see, it will bend slowly and in the direction you want.  I think it's a good way to get the roof in the general shape you want...then, if you need some fine tuning, I would try Bill's approach w/the C clamp to get it as smooth as you can.

Edited by radarcontact, 25 September 2018 - 04:19 AM.

#10 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:24 AM

Radarcontact THANKS... that's exactly what I needed. It's actually what I was planning on doing :)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how it turns out!  A lot of folks have done the same thing, i.e., forgot to unbuckle, so any follow-up is good.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users