• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#211 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:47 PM

^ I blew up the rear panel thru misadventure and replaced with a single panel, hinged from the top and secured at the bottom with slide/barrel bolts. Went beefier material than stock because, those days, we carried a good weight on the roof. Sits on a ledger (last pic) Note there's a spacer on the end of the panel, can't recall why but prob the ol' measured only once goof. Sorry, I haven't mastered attachment posting.

gallery_351_1339_1022120.jpg

gallery_351_1339_9078.jpg

gallery_351_1339_862228.jpg

ON EDIT I should mention this design isn't as conducive to single operator deployment as the oem style. And, if used for the front end, reaching over the cabover berth could be a challenge.

Edited by klahanie, 08 July 2019 - 09:13 PM.

#212 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

One thing about the oem design, the roof and body are always well attached. That helps with control when you're raising and lowering the top, esp when windy for eg. Also I think the wide breadth of the attachment points helps with stability as opposed to a hoop, tho I think there's a blogger following this who used a hoop type design with good success...

I recently refurbed the front panel assy, replacing the top half. It's tricky to match the dimensions but will be a lot less critical in your case where the soft wall is fitted after. One tip, if you do use piano hinges where they must close together, is to stagger the attachment holes so the two rows of fastener heads don't interfere with each other. If buying new hinges look for one that comes with the holes offset. Otherwise you may find yourself grinding those rivet heads down, just so the top can close that much more and lock (bogus).

Edited by klahanie, 08 July 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#213 Ourayphotography

Ourayphotography

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:13 PM

^ I blew up the rear panel thru misadventure and replaced with a single panel, hinged from the top and secured at the bottom with slide/barrel bolts. Went beefier material than stock because, those days, we carried a good weight on the roof. Sits on a ledger (last pic) Note there's a spacer on the end of the panel, can't recall why but prob the ol' measured only once goof. Sorry, I haven't mastered attachment posting.

Well how cool is that! I wondered why it cannot be simple. The front would be a little more awkward to get to, but would it be doable? 

#214 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

yes, note my edit :ph34r:

Edited by klahanie, 08 July 2019 - 09:14 PM.

#215 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:15 PM

Using the speaker lift makes it easy for solo

#216 Ourayphotography

Ourayphotography

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:15 PM

yes, note my edit :ph34r:

Is there a note about the front? Thanks

#217 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:50 PM

^ Ya, it was just the one person issue and the reach. Plus the less control of the roof with the panel being not fully attached until up and locked in. Hasn't be a prob for us at the back. Can't say for sure about the front. I chose to re and re the front rather than replace with a single panel. The oem is a pretty good solution - I can't really knock it - but I'll say it's not easy to pull apart and repair so I don't be surprised some look for other solutions.

The other thing is the oem gives a bit of an assist with the sprung hinges. That might be moot with struts now, IDK. Whatever way, If there's two you everything should be easier (or that's what they told me ... :rolleyes:)

#218 Ourayphotography

Ourayphotography

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:32 PM

^ Ya, it was just the one person issue and the reach. Plus the less control of the roof with the panel being not fully attached until up and locked in. Hasn't be a prob for us at the back. Can't say for sure about the front. I chose to re and re the front rather than replace with a single panel. The oem is a pretty good solution - I can't really knock it - but I'll say it's not easy to pull apart and repair so I don't be surprised some look for other solutions.

The other thing is the oem gives a bit of an assist with the sprung hinges. That might be moot with struts now, IDK. Whatever way, If there's two you everything should be easier (or that's what they told me ... :rolleyes:)

OK good point, when unattached, it is floating. A push rod of some sort would be something to look at. Thanks for the pictures. 

#219 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:01 AM

I'll reference my old 88' again and also agree that a single pivot panel works just fine.  I don't have any pictures but the front panel was just a single piece of of 3/4" plywood that used the original piano hinge on the bottom.  The stock wire push handle was attached to the top with some 1" aluminum angle and the good ol' speaker stand was used to lift the roof.  It worked great and I imagine it was much stronger than the 1/8" ply stock panel. Gravity kept it in place and I'm sure struts would also help.

Edited by WyoIDI, 09 July 2019 - 01:18 AM.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#220 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:01 AM

^ yep, hinged at the bottom would make the roof a whole lot lighter - wish I'd thought of that, doh ! - and won't make a difference in the front (panel lays on bed).

might just work ...

Another thing with the oem is they are flexible (?) and that might provide a bit of "give" when lifting the second end. The roof might need to move fore or aft a bit when lifting the second end up. And the first up panel might need to pivot or compress a little during that transition from the roof being sloped to horizontal. I just can't remember how they react with the oem style at both ends. As a precaution we lift the back single panel first and only part way up (resting it on the counters). Then lift the front up fully. Then complete the rear lift. I think without doing that the soft side gets stressed. Just a FWIW.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWCFour wheel camper, flatbed, grandby, 2005 toyota, 2005 tundra, 2005 tundra trd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users