• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

Let's just hypothetically say I'm driving a Tundra with E-rated tires and might max out around 7500#. What psi in E-rated tires is appropriate for this sort of load? I'm running 40# empty. The tires are rated 3600# each or ~14k spread across all 4, so obviously a full 80psi is not needed.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hi Brett,

No you would not put the max PSI in the tires. But some tire shops will put the max as to what the tire shows them…Wrong.

Hard to say because every combination will be some what different. Rim width and tire width and overall size. What you need to do when the tires won’t correspond to the door tag anymore is apply the chalk test.

Get your load set and set all your air pressures the same and higher than you think. Point your truck so you can drive straight for a couple 100 yards on a somewhat clean surface. On each tire draw a chalk line across the tire tread. Drive and stop and see where the chalk has worn. Off in the middle than let some air out and try it again until the chalk wears evenly across. Measure the pressure and write it down. Also it is good to do this in the morning when you have a cold PSI reading.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

Thanks.

Won't that tell me how it is wearing rather than if the load is supported safely? Or is the answer the same for both?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#4 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

Toyo has published a tire inflate guide on what psi you should inflate the tire when you witch from P to LT tire. The calculation is based on your stock load rating and new LT tire load rating. Based on that table, my stock 245/75R16 P tire with 29psi after switch to 265/75R16 LT range D tire. I need ~45psi in the LT tire. Let me know if you want the guide I can email you. :)

#5 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:15 AM

Thanks.

Won't that tell me how it is wearing rather than if the load is supported safely? Or is the answer the same for both?

I think that if the tire is inflated such that the contact patch between the tire and road surface is maximized (i.e. follow Patrick's advice), that will carry the load in the safest way and maximize tread wear life.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:10 AM

Contact patch is a good starting point. Then see what feels right for you. My Jeep I run from 20-25 on the street. Some people who air down never reach that point. My truck I run at 80 psi. It feels better at max psi and with the heavy cummins up front I"m not so sure I don't need that much.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users