• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AbaloneTony

AbaloneTony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:11 AM

We’ll I guess it’s time to place my order. I want to get what I need for my type of sunny camping/hunting/diving/snow camping and fishing trips. To get the most room inside the camper I have chosen the Keystone shell with some options. I plan on customizing with some modular features that can be added when the Wife and kids come along or can be removed when it’s just me at hunting camp with friends that have their own trucks and gear.

Just like CABnCruzer “Clark” I also cook and wash outside. I have floorless tents that I can set up on ice/snow that can withstand heavy rain and gusting winds.

To keep it a little clean from the “Blood an Mud” I plan on making some kind of liner for the shell. Maybe a plastic rear cargo liner might fit.

I’m not sure about the driver's side window because of the additional heat loss from the glass. Should I stay with the poly insulation wall? BUT I like the windows for air venting when my Pointers come along for some bird hunting.

I’m undecided on the Yakama racks. I would sure like to carry a Kayak or Canoe with me when I travel to the coast. But I’m paranoid of leakage and water damage. I’ve had a cabover and trailer before that’s gotten water damage because of racks. I’m not dead set against the racks as of yet.

Here are the options I have chosen.
1. Extended Cabover
2. Mechanical Camper Jacks
3. Optional Furnace
4. Extra Roof Vent
5. 32 Inch Door “a deer might fit but not an Elk
6. Screen Door
7. Artic pack I plan on making myself.
8. Flood Lights
9. Addition Louvered Window
10. 12 Volt Outlet
11. Auxiliary Battery System
12. Front Sliding Window
13. Easy Roof Lift Assist
14. C/O Detector
15. L/P Detector

Should I add anything that might be important?
Maybe I’ve added too much unnesary options.

Looking for some feedback before I pull the trigger.

AbaloneTony

#2 Chel

Chel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:30 AM

Consider the fan-tastic roof vent fan, it sucks the stale air right on out of the camper.

I was an outdoor cook and wash guy forever, but I sure like the water heater, sink and stove in my Hawk. It takes up space but dinner's ready and cleanup's a breeze regardless of weather.

I thought long and hard about the sliding window. Didn't get it and haven't found a need for it.

Racks are a must for me, if properly installed leakage should not be a problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• copy.jpg

2008 Tundra Doublecab SR5 TRD, 5.7 V8, helper springs; 2008 FWC Hawk; Yakima Tracks/ Control Towers roof rack, Yakima Swingdaddy hitch rack; Champion Covers bicycle cover.

#3 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:28 AM

Opening the turnbuckle access ports and a vent will allow a bit of nice venting, especially if you purchase the fantastic fan (at least ensure they prewire both roof vents for a fan, then you can add it later).

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#4 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

That list looks about perfect. I like my sliding rear window, great for venting in the rain, and it allows you to clean the truck & camper window with the camper on. I would go for the Yakima, and add rear wall steps so you can get to the rack.

#5 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

I like the solar set up and won't own another camper without it.

Here in the hills I'm not sure what would happen to my battery if I let the camper/truck sit as I do...sometimes for days without moving it. Toss in some -15F nights...and I dunno...maybe it's just me...but there's a lot of value present in climbing in and pushing that battery monitor button ANYTIME and seeing the battery 3/4 to full on the gauge.

I haven't regetted leaving the racks off...but I own no boat/don't fish and have a bad back so tossing large items on top wasn't in the game plan here anyway.

Looks like a great list though. We loaded ours out pretty well because we figured weren't gonna do it again soon and we didn't want to make the trip to CAli to add stuff on later.

exciting stuff...what a feeling.

have fun
mtn

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:06 AM

Keep the window. Racks are easy enough to do yourself if you find your're wanting them later. Looks like a pretty good selection you have going to me.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 AbaloneTony

AbaloneTony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

Some of the modular items I plan to add to the Keystone include a stove, sink, External Secondary Vertical propane tank, floor level bunks, and freezer. I already have all these items. All I need is somewhere to install them. I even have an extra Formica top in the garage.

When the weather is nasty (the best) and I’m not with the family I can leave the civilized cooking and cleaning gear at home or take it.

I now plan to purchase Two power fans and Led lighting. I WILL need to ensure that the wires are preinstalled. (Thanks Scott) When the kids come along I guess there will be more stale air in the camper. Fans are good. (Thanks Chel) Like I wrote before I plan to make the Artic Pack.

I have decided to keep the front sliding window.
Always had them and always liked them. With my Quad Cab I have always had the need to reach in and get something while I’m in the back. And I have used it for venting while I’ve been in the back.

As for the racks on top I had talked to my son and he likes the Kayak when we get urchins and other critters from the ocean. I guess I can bring a little trailer to carry a Kayak. Seems like a hassle for a small Kayak. Well it’s not small. It carries three of us and I’m not a small person.
The kayak is big, heavy, and wide. I now have seen enough posts to come to the conclusion I don’t want to deal with the extra roof weight and increased wind drag. Don’t want to dent metal, break glass or vent covers. Also want to save my BACK. I have lots of stories of broken windows and dented roofs from loading boats on roofs.

I go back to the reason I wanted a FWC in the first place. I wanted the ability to tow my big boat to a lake or my small Zodiac to the ocean and still have a comfortable bed to sleep in. No more travel trailers or Toy Haulers for me! At least I can store my FWC in the garage.

As for solar I like it. I’ll have to do more research on this. I do have two batteries under the hood and I am ordering the Auxiliary Battery System that contains another Battery. I also have a small generator I use with a string of lights to keep the party going at night. (LOL) Mostly it’s for cleaning Game after the sun has gone down. This can be used for lighting and recharging at the same time.

I guess I realize why I want the Keystone.
I want to bring everything with me.

AbaloneTony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users