#21 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

On the subject of trickle charging....

I believe the trickle-charging in post 15 refers to features of the D250SA and SMARTPASS.

On page four of the manual, this is how it's described for the D250SA:

"Trickle charging of the starter battery from a solar panel. The D250SA trickle charges the starter battery from a solar panel at intervals of 3 seconds if the service battery is fully charged."

On the other side of page four, under SMARTPASS 120, it's described like this:

"Starter battery trickle charging. The service battery trickle charges the starter battery without assistance from the solar panel or alternator to compensate for the self-discharge of the starter battery. The service battery charges in 3-second pulses when its voltage is higher that of the starter battery and the voltage of the starter battery is low."

-----

On the subject of start assistance from the SMARTPASS-controlled service (house) battery (from the same page of the manual).....

"Start assistance. SMARTPASS 120 automatically connects the service battery to the starter battery for 10 sec to assist, if the starter battery on its own is unable to start the engine. After the start assistance function has been activated, SMARTPASS 120 will display a fault indication until starting has been achieved without using the start assistance function."

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#22 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

Another case of me not having RTFM'd.  I misunderstood what was meant by not one, but two things - jump starting and trickle charging.  I thought of both in the 'conventional' sense, i.e. using another vehicle or battery pack to start the engine, and an AC trickle charger to keep both batteries topped up during storage.  The ability to do both from within the truck/camper system was unknown to me and sounds pretty cool, but not sure for me it's worth the extra cost of the SMARTPASS.  But, I suppose it might be to worthwhile to insure maximum bulk charging.

I have a single house AGM (don't know make and model) and 85W solar panel, and only run LEDs, a furnace (rarely) and Dometic CR-65 2-way compressor fridge (<2 Ah/h).  We drive frequently on trips, but struggle to keep charged up, even in the desert.  I was thinking of upgrading the Tacoma's alternator (tow-package 130A) , but am now convinced the CTEK option is a better option (not least because it avoids messing with the truck).  I think I can live with the inability to program for specific batteries, and agree with Old Crow that lithium is a lot of money anyway, especially for the Battle Born.

The wire gauge discussion has been useful and interesting.  Funny how it stirs up a lot of feeling and seems difficult to get and consensus on. I might upgrade mine (8-gauge, I think) when I install the CTEK gear, or do the experiment see if the charger alone solves my problem.  Then I could add my 2 cents to the wire discussion!

Many thanks to you all.

#23 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

I've been thinking of what it will take to live off grid in my NCO Alaskan camper. This is for emergencies only and I will not need any power for AC or heat. It will mostly be for charging electronics and 2 LED lights. I'm thinking of adding a 2nd battery under my truck hood and running power to the back for the camper. I believe I'm going have to get a bigger alternator and ISO cable. 

Does anyone have this set up? Is it effective?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Joe 

Sorry JoeKan. I seem to have hijacked your thread a bit.

To address you initial questions, I have a relatively simple system sold with the camper: one house battery charged by the truck's alternator and a small, 85W solar panel.  A simple voltage-sensitive relay controls current flow between the truck and house batteries, a very cheap controller handles the flow from the solar panel, and a crude monitor shows the battery charge state.  The price for this option was $525 in early 2015.  I only run LED lights, the furnace fan, and a compressor refrigerator. 

I have not been happy with the performance of my system, especially on spring trips in the desert with lots of driving, which should provide ample charging.  This is why I am interested in discussions of alternator outputs, wire gauges, DC-DC chargers, MTTP controllers, etc. Unfortunately, answers to questions about power and electrical systems seem to get specific and technical very fast.  It's just the nature of the beast. Fortunately, we're both lucky to have this forum and people who are willing to help and answer our questions.

FWIW I would agree that 'off-grid' living would probably warrant a solar panel, even if you only want power for LED lights and charging electronics, unless you drive often or are willing to run the engine to charge your battery.  The down side is you will find yourself falling down the solar/electrical rabbit hole like I have.  Unfortunately, there is no on-size-fits-all solution, so you will need to absorb a lot of information and differing advice.  

But hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

Good luck!

#24 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

JoeKan, just to give an example...

My truck came from the factory with 2 batteries under the hood. The "extra" battery It is a simple design consisting of:

2nd battery tray

2nd battery (duplicate of battery #1)

battery cable connecting Batt2  pos to to Batt1 pos

battery cable connecting Batt2 neg to truck frame

Truck is a diesel, the second battery required for cold weather starting, I believe. Alternator charges both batteries exclusively.

If not needed for cold weather starting I could use the extra battery capacity to power lights in the cab, listen to radio, charge phone, etc. (people do this every day in their cars on their lunch breaks, quiet evenings with a friend etc.)

If I wanted to power that stuff while in the camper, I could run a cigarette plug extension cord from the truck into the camper, thru the slider windows. Have actually done this to power a fridge.

That's a simple system with 2 batteries. But I think most would add a disconnect or switch between the two batteries to separate them to prevent the main battery #1 from being discharged when running those lights etc with the motor off. The disconnect might be an ACR like mentioned post #7, a battery isolator, relay, solenoid, manual switch, plug or something else (?).

I posted before that I have previously used an inexpensive continuous duty solenoid, wired into to cable that connects the two batts. The coil (switch) is connected to an ignition hot, connects batts when motor running, separates when engine off. So you don't run your main battery flat while camping. [ON EDIT: Hook up the camper interior lights and outlets and ...]That's a simple dual battery system with separation.

* You should look into or ask about circuit protection (fuses) as well.*

To keep costs down, check if your truck model was available with a second underhood battery - to possibly source the tray. Or consider locating the second battery outside of the camper per Alaskan. But of course wire costs will be higher. Again, the battery is where you can spend a lot of money if you so choose. There are cheap batteries out there, perhaps even used. You did mention emergency use tho, so depends what you want.

Edited by klahanie, 16 January 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#25 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:00 AM

Thanks everyone for the information. A lot to consider, maybe should go with a solar panel. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#26 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

Just a few notes on the D250SA in case the info may be helpful to someone.  I've been running one in my rig since October 2017 and am happy with it but I may not be the typical FWC user.  I have a D250SA but I don't have the SMARTPASS.  I'm only running a single battery and use it for LED lights and furnace only (I use a cooler for refrigeration).  I don't use the solar-charging portion of it as I've not found it necessary.  As far as control leads, I have the black one grounded to the frame to select a bulk charging voltage of 14.7 volts for the AGM battery.  The voltage is temperature-compensated so when I say 14.7, what I actually see at, say, 45 degrees F,  is voltage in the 15.0 range while my alternator is putting out 14.1 cold and mid 13's warm.  The red lead isn't used as my Tundra doesn't have an ECU-controlled alternator. I only have 8-gauge wire running to it from the truck's starter battery (and a fuse in the positive line).

My Lifeline battery (GPL-31T) is eight years old and probably only capable of storing 80-some per cent of its original 105 amp-hour capacity at this point.  Nevertheless, that has been enough for my modest needs. I drive (and therefore charge) daily, I don't run the furnace overnight, and I charge my electronics (GPS, Inreach, iPad, two phones, two cameras, dashcam, a laptop, and sometimes my brother's CPAP)  in the truck.  When the weather's warm enough I don't need to run the furnace, the battery is of course massive overkill for the short time I use an LED light or two (and I don't have a fan in my rooftop vent).

One downside of the D250SA is it doesn't have a LiFePO4 charging profile. I sometimes think I'd like to go to a LiFePO4 battery when the Lifeline finally can't handle the load.  If I had to do that now, I'd probably be going with a Redarc BCDC1225D or similar DC-to-DC charger for it.  But that's a lot of money by the time you add up the more expensive LiFePO4 battery and the charger and necessary gear. For my current needs, I'd probably be smarter to just replace the battery and let the D250SA keep it happy.

Thanks Old Crow.  Finally about to make some purchases, so am re-reading everyone's helpful posts. 

Like you I am going with the D250SA alone, at least for now.  I think I can live without the Smartpass, despite its ability to deliver >20A during the bulk charging phase and to top up the truck battery when the house battery is fully charged.  The current amazon price for the Smartpass is $278, so that is also a factor. (Why so much for what is apparently just  a relay?) The Redarc althernative to the D250SA looks interesting, but it is quote a bit more expensive and like you I am probably more likely to just replace the batter if it dies than upgrade to lithium (which the CTEK charger does not support).  

I will take Vic's and others advice and invest in a Trimetric TM2030 monitor, which is $153 from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, and definitely replace the factory wiring to and from the truck battery with at least AWG 4 or 6.  Still haven't decided if I need to go up (down?) to AWG 2. I'm not sure there will ever be a definitive answer to that one without doing the experiment, but people seem happy with the D250 and either 4 or 6.

Finally, for those reading about the CTEK D250, especially in pre-2017 posts here and elsewhere, note that the newer SA model can handle smart alternators out of the box.  There is a lead that connects to the vehicle ignition circuit.  The specs from the manual are below.  

Conventional alternator cut-in

>13.1V, for 5 sec. (engine running, alternator charging)

Conventional alternator cut-out

<12.8V, for 10 sec. (engine running, alternator not charging) or service battery voltage > starter battery voltage

Smart alternator cut-in

>11.8V, for 5 sec. (engine running, alternator charging)

Smart alternator cut-out

<11.4V, for 10 sec. (engine running, alternator not charging) or service battery voltage > starter battery voltage

Thanks again to everybody for all the information and advice.

#27 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

A little late to the game here,  but you can save a little hassle and cost.    You either need to upgrade the factory wiring or install the DC-DC charger, not both.   The DC-DC charger will boost the voltage at the camper battery and therefore compensate for any voltage drop in the wiring between the truck and the battery.   So you don't need to update the truck-to-camper wiring as long as it is rated to carry the current the charger will draw.  I think the 'stock' wiring is 10 awg, which is rated to carry 60A, so it will be fine for your 20A charger and even 12 awg would be fine:

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/96

Also, skip the Trimetric and get a Victron battery monitor.   Once you add the shunt and cable to the Trimetric, you are at the same price as the Victron 'Smart' monitor BMV-712 which is more accurate, more modern and has many more features than the Trimetric.    

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#28 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

+1 to rando's suggestions.  The Victron is better, and what I use.  The Trimetric has been out there for a while, and was the best thing going for a long time.

To rando's point about not needing to upgrade the wiring, I would add:

1) if just using the CTEK unit, put it at the camper battery end of the wiring, not under the hood.  That way it will compensate for the voltage drop from truck to camper

2) I wonder if just doing the wiring is enough on trucks with smart alternators?  If it really does drop down to the low 12.x volt range while trying to charge.  At 40-60A coming from my alternator I do see a .5 to .7v drop even over 2g wire.

#29 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:16 PM

A little late to the game here,  but you can save a little hassle and cost.    You either need to upgrade the factory wiring or install the DC-DC charger, not both.   The DC-DC charger will boost the voltage at the camper battery and therefore compensate for any voltage drop in the wiring between the truck and the battery.   So you don't need to update the truck-to-camper wiring as long as it is rated to carry the current the charger will draw.  I think the 'stock' wiring is 10 awg, which is rated to carry 60A, so it will be fine for your 20A charger and even 12 awg would be fine:

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/96

Also, skip the Trimetric and get a Victron battery monitor.   Once you add the shunt and cable to the Trimetric, you are at the same price as the Victron 'Smart' monitor BMV-712 which is more accurate, more modern and has many more features than the Trimetric.    

Two good points, rando.  You know, I had actually thought to be systematic and just change the wiring to see the effect, and only spend money on the charger if the problem wasn't solved.  And funnily enough, I had realized  not long after posting tha the Vitronic BMV-712 is a better choice than the Trimetric.  It is only about $50 more and has Bluetooth/phone app capability, plus 10-m cable and shunt included.

#30 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

+1 to rando's suggestions.  The Victron is better, and what I use.  The Trimetric has been out there for a while, and was the best thing going for a long time.

To rando's point about not needing to upgrade the wiring, I would add:

1) if just using the CTEK unit, put it at the camper battery end of the wiring, not under the hood.  That way it will compensate for the voltage drop from truck to camper

2) I wonder if just doing the wiring is enough on trucks with smart alternators?  If it really does drop down to the low 12.x volt range while trying to charge.  At 40-60A coming from my alternator I do see a .5 to .7v drop even over 2g wire.

I will probably not be systematic and go ahead and change both the wiring and add the charger, because I have very limited time to work on the rig between uses (long story).  And will definitely put the charger in the camper next to the battery, not under the hood.  

Thanks everyone.  I'm hopeful this will be the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users